Injury Report: Okposo out indefinitely with a concussion

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
they need to modify that video, to include a few of Rayzor's classic fights, bare-chested, then insert the clip from the Lightning (or was it Leafs?) game in the past week where he and RJ had the dialog on "cerebral", "ce-ce-ce-bereal", "if you have to ask", the Webster definition, and the closing remark deadpanned by Rayzor "I have damage".

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I really feel for the guy. He really should retire. He's made enough money. He has 5 more years at $6M. If he can't play is he eligible for LTIR? Does he still get paid? If he retires then what are the cap implications? I really hope he doesn't rush back and thinks about the rest of his life.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You have no idea how sad this makes me. I've loved Okposo since his Isles days when he was one of my favorite players to watch and thought he would be a great signing. Sadly it seems injuries are going to wreck his career. I really hope he recovers, he is such a great guy.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I really feel for the guy. He really should retire. He's made enough money. He has 5 more years at $6M. If he can't play is he eligible for LTIR? Does he still get paid? If he retires then what are the cap implications? I really hope he doesn't rush back and thinks about the rest of his life.

He gets all his money and we don't get the cap space, but we get the LTIR cap overages until the end of his contract. That is, if he's medically unfit to play, which I find it hard to think anyone will think less of him for considering.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Really sad to hear. He's a great guy and still puts up points on a terrible team despite everyone on here constantly bagging on the guy.

I hate to see a career possibly ruined, but sometimes you need to step back and think of the bigger picture.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Jeez guys, its one concussion and you are already retiring him. Chill, its the end of the season, he has a big number of months to fully recover with no pressure.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jeez guys, its one concussion and you are already retiring him. Chill, its the end of the season, he has a big number of months to fully recover with no pressure.

Not his first concussion. It was a reaction to a medication after one last year that put him in the hospital.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not his first concussion. It was a reaction to a medication after one last year that put him in the hospital.
I know about the reaction. How many serious concussions has he had? I cant remember for the life of me but dont recall him as one of the big concussion victims so far so the calls for retirement are very odd to me.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's not worth it Kyle.

A couple of my daughters as well as myself were taken care of at UB’s concussion clinic. The issues Lindros mentioned (not liking crowded rooms, being tired, etc) are still things my youngest daughter is dealing with. We’ve worked with Dr. Leddy at UB and the advances he’s helped to pioneer with dealing with concussions.

Which is why for me it’s rage inducing to come across the type of stubborness and stupidity the NHL displays on the issue.

I hope Kyle is able to fully recover and live his life relatively issue free. Don’t really care about the hockey part.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He gets all his money and we don't get the cap space, but we get the LTIR cap overages until the end of his contract. That is, if he's medically unfit to play, which I find it hard to think anyone will think less of him for considering.

Doesn't that basically shake out to the equivalent of freeing up the cap space, if he's on LTIR until the end of his contract??

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Doesn't that basically shake out to the equivalent of freeing up the cap space, if he's on LTIR until the end of his contract??

Sort of. When we have to be cap compliant on the first day of the regular season his cap
hit has to count. After that we can put him on LTIR and use that cap space. So we can’t really use his cap space prior to the season to sign someone.
Dot can flesh it out better but that’s the rough idea.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
A couple of my daughters as well as myself were taken care of at UB’s concussion clinic. The issues Lindros mentioned (not liking crowded rooms, being tired, etc) are still things my youngest daughter is dealing with. We’ve worked with Dr. Leddy at UB and the advances he’s helped to pioneer with dealing with concussions.

Which is why for me it’s rage inducing to come across the type of stubborness and stupidity the NHL displays on the issue.

I hope Kyle is able to fully recover and live his life relatively issue free. Don’t really care about the hockey part.
Are you willing to reveal approximately how long your daughter is still having issues after her incident, and how long your situation lasted? Fully understand if you don't want to comment given privacy, etc.

As joshjull noted, yes and no.

His salary absolutely counts against the cap (unless/until he retires). If the Sabres aren't yet up to the cap, they need to get to the cap before they are allowed an LTIR overage. Once they are above the cap and using the LTIR overage, they can exceed the cap up to the sum of the cap limit plus his salary.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sort of. When we have to be cap compliant on the first day of the regular season his cap
hit has to count. After that we can put him on LTIR and use that cap space. So we can’t really use his cap space prior to the season to sign someone.
Dot can flesh it out better but that’s the rough idea.

Okay, so you basically need to include him when you're doing your offseason deals, but all bets are off once the season starts. That's why teams with guys on LTIR typically have room to go after playoff rentals. Interesting.

I feel like I understood this better when the whole Clarkson things was going down.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Okay, so you basically need to include him when you're doing your offseason deals, but all bets are off once the season starts. That's why teams with guys on LTIR typically have room to go after playoff rentals. Interesting.

I feel like I understood this better when the whole Clarkson things was going down.

BG did a better job explaining it in his post. But that's roughly the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->