Oklahoma City investors purchase NBA, WNBA Seattle franchises

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Good for them, I can't believe there wasn't any professional team in OKC.

I'm sure the NBA team will do great, afterall, when a CHL team draws 8000 people a game, there's a market for a pro sport team.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Not yet, anyway. New ownership has given Seattle 12 months to fix the arena situation.

After that, all bets are off....
Yep.

Guess the Northwest isn't exactly the greatest for Basketball.
-----> Vancouver, now Seattle

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Yep.

I don't think you can campare the two, the Sonics have a 35+ year history there, was their first major sports franchise and first ( and only) to win a championship. Vancouver had no history and never warmed up to roundball with a crummy expansion team.

The citizens of seattle, much like portland, do not like to heavily subsidize billionare owners's sports franchises, which rubs the NBA ( and david stern ) the wrong way. SO The NBA will leave a larger, much more afluent market for OKC which looks to a sports franchise to raise the visability of their city.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I've been stumping hard for OKC to get an NHL team, I can't help but think they deserve someone to root for.

At the same time this sucks for Seattle who deserves a better fate than this.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Vancouver had no history and never warmed up to roundball with a crummy expansion team.
Thanks to a horribly run team :shakehead

Stu Jackson had his first interview post-Vancouver move a couple days ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear it though. Apparently the host was going to ask about a lot of the crappy moves that were made during the era.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
i predict the edmonton oilers will relocate to either oklahoma or houston....they have a old arena and government support will not come with a plan for new arena...

also the calgary flames may relocate too...

I doubt it. Alberta is one of the richest areas in North America and getting richer by the day. Calgary is growing like crazy in population and wealth. Edmonton isn't that far behind. And both city is crazy about hockey. I don't see either team moving.... Ever.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Thanks to a horribly run team :shakehead

Stu Jackson had his first interview post-Vancouver move a couple days ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear it though. Apparently the host was going to ask about a lot of the crappy moves that were made during the era.

You're right, when you faced the vancouver grizzlies you'd think it was an automatic win. They didn't have bad attendance though, they just got screwed by selling it to a non local owner just like the Sonics. The sad thing is that in memphis they have horrible attendance for a good team.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
They just got screwed by selling it to a non local owner just like the Sonics.
I remember when that happened. He made a big speel about keeping the team in Vancouver yada yada yada, he even sang the National anthem the first game of the season.

And then they moved.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I remember when that happened. He made a big speel about keeping the team in Vancouver yada yada yada, he even sang the National anthem the first game of the season.

And then they moved.

Well, what was he going to say? "Yeah guys, I am planning to move it to memphis where my business is, but yeah... keep comming because we still have to be here for a year or so."

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Well, what was he going to say? "Yeah guys, I am planning to move it to memphis where my business is, but yeah... keep comming because we still have to be here for a year or so."
Oh I know. It's just that these guys are saying the same thing he said so it reminded me of that.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
i predict the edmonton oilers will relocate to either oklahoma or houston....they have a old arena and government support will not come with a plan for new arena...

also the calgary flames may relocate too...

Are you kidding? Flames have a waiting list for season tickets and sold out EVERY game at 19,000+ people! The Oilers now have sold out of season tickets next year and of course they could use more revenue with a new stadium, but the 37 owners or whatever it is are all local people who saved the team, they arent going to move the team for a few extra bucks.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Yep.

If the Sonics move, it won't because Seattle wouldn't support them. It'll be because the city of Seattle didn't want to line the new owner's pockets with an absurd stadium agreement. It's why the Saints aren't going to San Antonio--SA officals wouldn't let Tom Benson have his cake and eat it to. And the new ownership group has almost got to say what they did so they can get all the leverage they can when it comes time to negotiate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->