Oklahoma City for NHL?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
OKC might be in the south, but there are a lot of knowledgable hockey fans there. Look no further to the CHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're another town that already has the arena

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
They're another town that already has the arena

Would likely not be the Pens if Portland (NBA) moves there. Nor Houston for that matter. Neither of those places could possibly match Pittsburgh's offer of 100% of non-hockey revenues without upsetting (not to mention eating up another 40 possible rental dates) the NBA team there, or likely there.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Would likely not be the Pens if Portland (NBA) moves there. Nor Houston for that matter. Neither of those places could possibly match Pittsburgh's offer of 100% of non-hockey revenues without upsetting (not to mention eating up another 40 possible rental dates) the NBA team there, or likely there.

Portland isn't going to move there, seattle might though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Portland isn't going to move there, seattle might though.

That's right. My brain fried a moment. I really do not follow the NBA. Sorry about that, I of all people know how even the mention of moving a team just makes anyone cringe to hear. Even when you know that the person is wrong.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
The last thing the NHL needs is an other small southern/non-hockey market. I don't think it does anything to help the NHL or grow the sport. Look at Carolina has their winning the cup done anything to increase interest in the sport? They can't even sellout all their games .

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
The last thing the NHL needs is an other small southern/non-hockey market.

The thing is that Oklahoma City has led the Central Hockey League in attendance for a number of years now. There are hockey fans there and the city (along with lucrative sponsorships according to a Sports Illustrated article a few months ago that I read about the Hornets) have supported a pro team that isn't even their own. If there the fans will be there and the sponsorships will come out to help the team make money, it's not a bad choice at all.

The sponsorships I spoke of are five seven-figure ad sponsorships for the Hornets...in the article about the Hornets one big market NBA team rep said they are fortunate to get one. With a mega star like Crosby, I think those same sponsorships would be available to the Pens if they decide to move there. I think everyone including myself would prefer to see the Pens stay in Pittsburgh. If it can't work in Pittsburgh, I think Oklahoma City would be a good choice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The Hornets have talked about moving there...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The thing is that Oklahoma City has led the Central Hockey League in attendance for a number of years now. There are hockey fans there and the city (along with lucrative sponsorships according to a Sports Illustrated article a few months ago that I read about the Hornets) have supported a pro team that isn't even their own. If there the fans will be there and the sponsorships will come out to help the team make money, it's not a bad choice at all.

The sponsorships I spoke of are five seven-figure ad sponsorships for the Hornets...in the article about the Hornets one big market NBA team rep said they are fortunate to get one. With a mega star like Crosby, I think those same sponsorships would be available to the Pens if they decide to move there. I think everyone including myself would prefer to see the Pens stay in Pittsburgh. If it can't work in Pittsburgh, I think Oklahoma City would be a good choice.
Yep throw in a decent sized population State: 3.4 Metro OKC: 1.2 Tulsa: 880k

Scads of oil money and possibly being the only pro game in town. Could be at least a Columbus type market.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Actually... I think OKC works to bridge the gap of putting teams in Kansas City and/or Houston. You split the difference with Oklahoma City. It keeps the Southwest Team, and has natural rivals with Dallas and St. Louis.

As long as the Pens stay... I can see the "Expansion to 32" working that way... OKC and Portland?... Hamilton?... you can go on from there. But if you use OKC, you geographically don't "need" Houston and KC.

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006
The last thing the NHL needs is an other small southern/non-hockey market. I don't think it does anything to help the NHL or grow the sport. Look at Carolina has their winning the cup done anything to increase interest in the sport? They can't even sellout all their games .

But they have sold out more games than ever and the TV audience has grown greatly with an area of the country with high incomes, disposable cash, and growing beyond belief. More interest than ever and even interest well outside Raleigh in the corners of the state. Total state population is over 9M.

So what if they sell out 30-35 of 41 games and miss a sell out on Tuesday night against some bottom dwelling team. Even Edmonton is not selling out all their games (98.5% full this year http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007) and that is after a cup run deep in Hockey country. The Canes have more season ticket holders than many of the long term teams.

It is growing and that is what makes a business more valuable.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oklahoma City is not that far along in courting the Penguins, but an OKC group met Thursday to discuss how to proceed should the NHL franchise follow through on threats to relocate.

"Anything we do has to be with the knowledge we still expect to be an NBA city," said Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett. "If that eliminates any thought of the NHL at this point, then so be it."

http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds.cgi?feedid=144&story_id=2502775

The NHL will never go to OKC. OKC has made it clear that it would be a second class tenant. Did I call this or what? Same deal for Houston.

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Oklahoma City is not that far along in courting the Penguins, but an OKC group met Thursday to discuss how to proceed should the NHL franchise follow through on threats to relocate.

"Anything we do has to be with the knowledge we still expect to be an NBA city," said Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett. "If that eliminates any thought of the NHL at this point, then so be it."

http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds.cgi?feedid=144&story_id=2502775

The NHL will never go to OKC. OKC has made it clear that it would be a second class tenant. Did I call this or what? Same deal for Houston.

Unless they lose out on an NBA team. Then they'll sniff around the NHL like a drunk guy at closing time.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
Even Edmonton is not selling out all their games (98.5% full this year http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007) and that is after a cup run deep in Hockey country.
It is growing and that is what makes a business more valuable.

Actually the Oilers have sold out every game. The capacity of Rexall Place is 16,839. ESPN has the wrong capacity thus it appears that the Oilers have not sold out all their games.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Unless they lose out on an NBA team. Then they'll sniff around the NHL like a drunk guy at closing time.

Perhaps. But comments like that are hardly helpful in courting a team. Sort of like, 'yeah, your sister is prettier and I would have gladly banged her, but she said no, and it has been a loooong time . . .sure I will bang you. Hey . . .Hey . . .where are you going?'

Dumb statement all around by the esteemed Mayor of OKC.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Houston could match that offer, because the only way an NHL team ends up in Houston is if Les Alexander is the owner - he already owns the Houston Rockets and controls the master lease on the Toyota Center and gets revenues from all events - he just ends up splitting even more revenues with himself.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
In the last round of expansion, OKC was cut in the first round but apparently they had a very strong presentation - even stronger than the two Houston groups. The sole reason they were turned down is because they were the smallest market presenting and the league worried about local support.

Last season with the Hornets might change that perception. Besides, as we keep mentioning about moving a team to Hamilton or southern Ontario ... there has to be (A) an NHL arena ready at the time the franchise is scheduled to start playing or very shortly after (currently, there isn't one), and (B) potential infringement on the territory of Toronto and Buffalo has to be addressed (it never has). Solve those two problems, and you're well on your way to showing the area should get a team.

The question has never been "will Hamilton/Kitchener support an NHL team" - it's been dealing with the two points above.

jacketracket*

Yep throw in a decent sized population State: 3.4 Metro OKC: 1.2 Tulsa: 880k

Scads of oil money and possibly being the only pro game in town. Could be at least a Columbus type market.
"... at least a Columbus type market."

A back-handed compliment? Ouch! ;)

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Niche sport diehards and mass public acceptance are two very different things.

No offense to pittsburgh fans, but they are a distant third in that city. It's all steelers steelers and god forbid if the Pirates actually did something they would take over the pens in popularity quickly. I mean they had a Cowher press conference headlining the news when their hockey team got the offer to move to KC.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
No offense to pittsburgh fans, but they are a distant third in that city. It's all steelers steelers and god forbid if the Pirates actually did something they would take over the pens in popularity quickly. I mean they had a Cowher press conference headlining the news when their hockey team got the offer to move to KC.

The Steelers are kings in this town, but the Pens are a solid #2 behind them. The Pirates, those loveable losers that haven't had a winning season in 15 years are third now. Pirates season ticket sales are down almost 20% this year, and were only up last year because of the All-Star game.

The Steelers will always be #1 here, it's a football town first, but the Pens are easily #2 now, IMO. The Pirates are a distant third just because of their futility.

The Pens could be #1 again if they start making playoff runs, and the Steelers slump like in the late 80's, early 90's.

The big thing the Pens have going for them is the young fans. The kids like myself who grew up during the Mario/Jagr years are now old enough to have season tickets. The Student rush program brings in thousands of high school/college students on a nightly basis. The Pens have the largest fanbase of young people in this town easily. The Pirates fans are mostly ole timers...that are dwindling fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->