Byers #34-Vande Velde #29-Lizon #36

Deck #8-J. Schultz #5
Fedun #27-Teubert #33
Marincin #28-Plante #4

Danis #35
Roy #31

Scratches:

Healthy: D Henry #39, RW Pitlick #9, C Martindale #17, W Cornet #15

Injured: D Davidson #3 (Testicular Cancer), W Tyrvainen #14 (Broken Wrist), Ringwald #6 (Wrist)

Loaned To WJC's: C Nugent-Hopkins #18

Reassigned To Stockton: W Abney #36

Suspended: W Pelss #23

STARS:
TBD
Roster

[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Who to watch?]BARONS TO WATCH: Colten Teubert, Dane Byers, and Alex Plante will apparently get some help tonight against the Stars tough guys and **** disturbers as the Barons have signed 6'4" 235lb. RW Erick Lizon to a Pro Tryout agreement.

STARS TO WATCH: Antoine Roussel is likely a marked man after goading Taylor Hall into a fight by giving him the business after the whistle last game and then following up that display of bravery by refusing to drop the gloves with Dane Byers and later chirping known tough guy Taylor Fedun and then taking a shot at another known goon Anton Lander after the game had ended. [/fieldset]

[fieldset=Barons Number of the Day]The number of the day is 4 as in the number of games that Cameron Abney has played for the Barons this season. [/fieldset]

[fieldset=Quotable]"He has parts of [Scott] Niedermayer and one player he reminds me of is Drew Doughty," Oklahoma City coach Todd Nelson told NHL.com. "The NHL is a step higher, but I see him doing the same thing up there. Maybe not as explosive in his first year, but I see him contributing offensively. I see him playing a lot of minutes, just as he does here -- and he plays about 30 minutes a game, handles it well."-- Oklahoma City coach Todd Nelson talking about Justin Schultz in an interview with NHL.com[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Season Series]
Date | Location | Result
10/28|OKC| 4-2 OKC
11/21|Texas| 6-4 OKC
12/21|OKC| 3-0 Texas
12/22|OKC| 6-2 OKC
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Team Comparison]
| Barons | Stars
Games|28|29
Points|32|35
Wins|14|15
GF|92|72
GA|83|75
Power Play %|23.3|16.0
Penalty Kill %|79.4|80.5
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Team Leaders]
| Barons | Stars
GOALS: |Eberle (19)|Fraser (11)
ASSISTS:|Schultz (24)|Eakin (11)
+/-: |Schultz (+14)|Eakin (+9)
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Today's Videos]
[/fieldset]

Last edited:

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Looks like they signed a goon for tonight:

The Oklahoma City Barons signed forward Erick Lizon to a Professional Tryout, General Manager Bill Scott announced today.

Lizon, a 6-4, 234-pounder from Kitchner, Ontario has played the majority of his seven seasons as a pro in the ECHL and Central Hockey League. In 339 games over those seven seasons, he has scored 50 points (19-31-50) and served 985 minutes in penalties.

He has played the last two seasons with the Wichita Thunder of the CHL. In 89 games with the Thunder, he has scored nine points while serving 230 penalty minutes. The 27-year old has played previously in the American Hockey League during the 2010-11 season with the Worcester Sharks. He appeared in eight games and served 24 penalty minutes.

Prior to turning pro, Lizon played parts of two seasons with the Victoriaville Tigres of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). He played in 103 games, scoring 34 points (14-20-34) and served 230 penalty minutes.

Lizon joins the Barons tonight in Cedar Park, Texas in advance of their game against the Texas Stars at 7:30 p.m.

He actually played for the Blazers a few years ago. Cool that. Looks like he's not stuck around in previous AHL PTOs, but he apparently made the ECHL all star game last year (?). Shrug. Also apparently: "...the Kitchener, ONT native was voted as Best Fighter in the Heavyweight Division in last year's Best-of-the-Best Poll".

Pretty damning for Abney in any case, yeesh.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think Mr Roussel just felt something warm trickling down his leg.

Ordinarily I'm not in favor of teams deploying a goon, but the entire future of the franchise is playing in OKC right now.
The Barons can't afford to be caught with no one to take care of unpleasant work when the need arises.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Looks like they signed a goon for tonight:

He actually played for the Blazers a few years ago. Cool that. Looks like he's not stuck around in previous AHL PTOs, but he apparently made the ECHL all star game last year (?). Shrug. Also apparently: "...the Kitchener, ONT native was voted as Best Fighter in the Heavyweight Division in last year's Best-of-the-Best Poll".

Pretty damning for Abney in any case, yeesh.

Can anyone confirm Lizon will be in the lineup today? If so Rousell might have a long night.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So not only does Abney not get the call, but Lizon gets his #36 jersey as well!

I'm not sure who the Barons plan on sitting tonight as House was excellent last game and Pitlick potted his first goal of the season. That said I've been calling for it and hopefully Lizon can send a message to the Stars in particular to Roussel and Gazdic.

As for Abney if he isn't ready for the AHL's heavy's then he needs to stay in Stockton and keep working hard. That said he doesn't have enough of anything else in his game at this point to make me think that he can be an NHL player during his ELC. He's still far too lean to take on the league's super heavyweights.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Mr Roussel just felt something warm trickling down his leg.

Ordinarily I'm not in favor of teams deploying a goon, but the entire future of the franchise is playing in OKC right now.
The Barons can't afford to be caught with no one to take care of unpleasant work when the need arises.

I'm tired of seeing the future of our club getting targeted for cheap shots with no answer. My guess is that Yonkman will be Lizon's next target, although with San Antonio there is no shortage of dance partners.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That was a hell of fight with Big Mac. No shame losing that one.

I think they want Abney to play every game and not sit like he would in OKC. Lizon goes in when they need him especially against teams full of goofs like the Stars are

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That was a hell of fight with Big Mac. No shame losing that one.

I think they want Abney to play every game and not sit like he would in OKC. Lizon goes in when they need him especially against teams full of goofs like the Stars are

Yeah he stood in there and no one needs to tell Oilers fans how tough Big Mac is.

As for Abney he's a young guy still and he's still quite lanky for a heavyweight at 6'5" and 205lbs. They may still have future plans for him to be a goon that can play a bit in the NHL but the kid is a long way off from that right now. He's got to get quicker while also packing on mass, a lot of times those two are like oil and water. I hope that Lizon is the toughest customer that they could find out there and that he will set the tone with a few ass kickings early on in his time with OKC.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Think alot of ya'll are gonna be disappointed when Roussel wants nothing to do with him. Takes two to tango and from what we've seen, Roussel is shy to dance. With anyone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Think alot of ya'll are gonna be disappointed when Roussel wants nothing to do with him. Takes two to tango and from what we've seen, Roussel is shy to dance. With anyone.

He wasn't shy to dance with Hall. Hopefully the Barons win going away and Lizon takes care of business whether Roussel wants to dance or not. It takes 2 to tango but it only takes one throwing punches to deliver a beating. Byers would be plenty enough to handle Roussel, it's Gazdic that needs a guy like Lizon on our side to neutralize.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
He wasn't shy to dance with Hall. Hopefully the Barons win going away and Lizon takes care of business whether Roussel wants to dance or not. It takes 2 to tango but it only takes one throwing punches to deliver a beating. Byers would be plenty enough to handle Roussel, it's Gazdic that needs a guy like Lizon on our side to neutralize.

I mean, who wouldn't want to dance with Hall :dainty:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
we need a cheapster not an enforcer against teams like the Stars..
Someone to go after their skilled guys and turtle if asked to answer..might get a few more PPs out of this as well.

The new NHL.

I think Lander has it in him to be that pest.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
we need a cheapster not an enforcer against teams like the Stars..
Someone to go after their skilled guys and turtle if asked to answer..might get a few more PPs out of this as well.

The new NHL.

I think Lander has it in him to be that pest.

Tyrvainen is great at this. Want him back in the lineup.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

We need to trade for Tristan Grant back. He could pot some in and be an agitator. Tyrvainen is a midget pest (ala Tootoo).

FYI I'm attending the game! Visiting my little bro in Austin and had no idea the Stars played in Cedar Park. Only my fourth live Barons game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Exactly. The key for me, is he's on a PTO. If he doesn't do something, he's gone. I think he comes out swinging to show what he can bring

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Bingo, he's the perfect answer to a guy like Roussel. That said I like the combo of disturber and tough guy. We had no answer for Gazdic when the going got tough either.

Exactly. The key for me, is he's on a PTO. If he doesn't do something, he's gone. I think he comes out swinging to show what he can bring

Him being in the AHL would likely mean a raise in pay as well and for a guy that to this point has been a career minor leaguer that cannot be overlooked. It's a bit disturbing to me that it took Hall having to answer the bell for himself before something was finally done.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009

How did Hall do in the fight? Why is Hall even fighting in the AHL? :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad