OK, we've seen HF's prospects 50-11....

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Curtis Hamilton is not in the top 10 I really want to know the format of how they do this, considering Hamilton was ranked 4th best WHL drafted forward, above Emerson Etem and others.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Curtis Hamilton is not in the top 10 I really want to know the format of how they do this, considering Hamilton was ranked 4th best WHL drafted forward, above Emerson Etem and others.

NO. He was consider the 4th best forward This season in the WHL. Not the 4th best prospect.

This isn't a who had the best season list, it's who the HF staff believe has the brightest future.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

well, theres 50 in the list, and 30 NHL teams.. so ud have to be at least the 2nd best prospect on your team - with the few exceptions of teams with deep prospect pools.

some teams only have one prospect. others, like Florida have many.

i dont think Curtis Hamilton is on the list.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Wow, once again Minnesota gets the shaft?

Really? No Jason Zucker? The guy tore it up and if it wasn't for a dirty hit in the WJC was really doing great there. How is Merril better than him? Or Coyle?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
NO. He was consider the 4th best forward This season in the WHL. Not the 4th best prospect.

This isn't a who had the best season list, it's who the HF staff believe has the brightest future.

Hense pointing out him being ranked above Etem, who's on the list already..

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
My stab at it, in order:
1) Schenn
2) OEL
3) Johansen
4) Niederreiter
5) Connolly
6) Bernier
7) Rundblad
8) Tarasenko
9) Kuznetsov
10) Granlund

The cut-off is 65 games (i.e. 0-64 career NHL games is a prospect, 65 is graduated), Hall doesn't make it as he played exactly 65 games, Eberle is currently at 65 but maybe they'll go off of when the list was made? If so Eberle is in the top 10, and one of Kuznetsov or Granlund gets the boot.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Where does Mark Stone belong? He was ahead of Etem as well.

And hes doing better in the WHL then Hamilton is while being younger. I don't think Stone belongs on this list, from everything that has been said about him he plays a more of a grinder game but could be a second line power forward at very best if he can translate his offence and his skating improves. Most of the guys on this list have better upside the may have lower odds though.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yeah, I don't like to hate on the HF staff, because everyone will have a complaint with a list like this...but there is no defending this list. It's simply not very good.

How much do they actually get to scout? I can't imagine very much. Everyone reads it anyways, even if it isn't any good...it serves it's purpose every time.

It's like this, oh, David Rundblad just had a huge year in the SEL, have you seen his youtube clips? Pretty impressive. Where was he drafted? 16th in 2009 or something. Sounds good enough for the top 10 I guess, just imagine the Sens fans on the boards if we left off a 50 point Dman at 20 in the SEL out of the top 10, would almost be worth leaving him out! Chuckle, chuckle.

Hey, has anyone seen him play? Yes, youtube clips. Good enough for me.

And I'm not knocking Rundblad, I'm just picking on my own guy so no one gets mad.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Coyle is much better than him. Same with Kreider. Zucker is behind both of them as he should be IMO.

Won't disagree with that.

However, Shore is on the list. Having watched a lot of WCHA hockey, Zucker is a better player and prospect than his fellow teammate. Many U of Denver fans would agree as well.

Not going to knock the guys putting this together, though. There's a lot of very promising prospects across hockey right now. It's impossible to view all of them and even more so to compare them when these players are playing all over the world and at different stages in their development. The top 10ish is pretty interchangeable amongst each other. You could probably have the next 60-75 guys in really any order.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Coyle is much better than him. Same with Kreider. Zucker is behind both of them as he should be IMO.

I'm not a scout or anything but Zucker has 45 pts in 40 games and Kreider has 51 pts in 72 games.

Both play NCAA D1 and I would argue that Zucker plays in a tougher league. Zucker clearly out produces him in college and is nearly a full year younger.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Not sure if these players already graduated and I might be missing some but:

1. Schenn
2. Johansen
3. Tarasenko
4. Ekman-Larsson
5. Granlund
6. Kuznetsov
7. Rundblad
8. Bernier
9. Niederreiter
10. ??

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm not a scout or anything but Zucker has 45 pts in 40 games and Kreider has 51 pts in 72 games.

Both play NCAA D1 and I would argue that Zucker plays in a tougher league. Zucker clearly out produces him in college and is nearly a full year younger.

its not about how they can play against college players or how many pts they put up in college, its about how the guys project at the NHL level.

Kreider can skate, and he has great size. Zucker cant match that combo.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
its not about how they can play against college players or how many pts they put up in college, its about how the guys project at the NHL level.

If your big and can skate but don't put up big points in college what changes that makes it happen in the pros?

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Won't disagree with that.

However, Shore is on the list. Having watched a lot of WCHA hockey, Zucker is a better player and prospect than his fellow teammate. Many U of Denver fans would agree as well.

Not going to knock the guys putting this together, though. There's a lot of very promising prospects across hockey right now. It's impossible to view all of them and even more so to compare them when these players are playing all over the world and at different stages in their development. The top 10ish is pretty interchangeable amongst each other. You could probably have the next 60-75 guys in really any order.

maybe he used the HF prospect grades.

Zucker - 6.5 B
Shore - 7.0 C

close enough that i cant complain. i do think Zucker is better though.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
If your big and can skate but don't put up big points in college what changes that makes it happen in the pros?

Point production in juniors/college isnt everything.

Kreider was the one playing for the Men's team at the World Championships, not Zucker. i'm not sure why this needs to be discussed. Kreider is clearly better than Zucker.

where's Jonathan. when you need him? lol

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It's all about potential. Being able to produce in any league doen't mean a whole lot. Obviously guys who have better production will get noticed more but it doesn't mean that their skills will carry over into the NHL any better. Being 18 or 19 and producing at a lower rate than another 18 or 19 year old in the same league doesn't make you a lower prospect. At a young age these players still have a lot of developing left. Scouts look for players who has a skill set that they believe will make them more effctive at the NHL level. A big player who can skate and porduce at .7 ppg can appear to be more appealing (to scouts or writers making a top 50 list) than a smaller player producing over 1 ppg.

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009

Blacker was ranked the 2nd best drafted defensemen in the OHL above Gudbranson and there's no way he's on this list.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Are people forgetting James Reimer? Rookie phenom of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

2.51 GAA .923% in about 35 games played? It's hard to ignore the way he has played and I think he is still classified as a prospect.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

What is size though? Zucker plays a tough game and he's been producing a lot more than what I think most people thought for someone out of Vegas.

Coyle? Coyle has the size probably on Zucker but Zucker has more points (37 GP, 26 points compared to 40 games player with 45 points). I know Kreider is better than Zucker but Zucker isn't a slouch and I can only see Coyle being higher simply because Coyle was drafted higher and is on a higher profile team. If Zucker was on Montreal or Toronto or even Detroit? Yeah.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
If so Eberle is in the top 10, and one of Kuznetsov or Granlund gets the boot.
so you think Grandlund and Kuznetsov might be out of the top 50? :laugh:

i'm not sure what some on this board are missing about Kuznetsov.
i would be surprised not to see him in the top 5; chances of him being out of the top 10 were zero even before the 11-20 list was released.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad