Ok, so what if we win...what happens for next year?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Here's a better question: Would you trade Auston this off-season if we were guaranteed a Cup win this year?

I wouldn't.
I would trade any single player off the roster -- which you're gonna get similar value back for, even if you don't get all of it -- for a cup. So would any GM, I would hope.

Reactions: Garthinater

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Go for the repeat. Would really rather not see one of the big names being a cap casualty to the point where they are traded for a draft pick. Any problem or team need can't be that big if the team is coming off of a Cup win.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I thought I'd throw a wrench into everyone's thought process as it pertains to next year and our "need for Defence" and our"cap problem"? Could we see a big name being traded for a draft pick? Or do we keep who we can and move forward with what we have?
What happens is a bunch of new posters talking about +/- stats

Reactions: Duckrider

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I thought I'd throw a wrench into everyone's thought process as it pertains to next year and our "need for Defence" and our"cap problem"? Could we see a big name being traded for a draft pick? Or do we keep who we can and move forward with what we have?
Every year no matter what every team tries to get better, so I expect that trend to continue

Reactions: qqaz

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not sure how excitied I would be if we finally won the SC under this lousy pamdemic. We gotta win it with fans in the stands and fans watching in Maple Leaf square and we need the have the parade of the century.

Reactions: Garthinater

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
Not sure how excitied I would be if we finally won the SC under this lousy pamdemic. We gotta win it with fans in the stands and fans watching in Maple Leaf square and we need the have the parade of the century.
was just thinking that this morning...we probably WILL win the SC this year..will forever be called the Covid Cup and will be marginalized by the hockey world, The fans won't be able to witness it live or gather to celebrate and no parade....would be fitting wouldn't it....

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
not asking for much are we? :laugh:

Reactions: qqaz and ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The Falcons?
I'm still stinging from the Wild Card loss to Dallas where the Falcons were up 21-0 at the half and somehow fond a way to lose the game. The struggle is real..............

Reactions: kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It would happen anyways even with pandemic ... da party at da square is gonna happen ... da cops are not gonna throw 100,000 people in jail ... it is impossible

Reactions: ToneDog

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The only small change that a Cup win might make to the game-plan would be chances of (or price of) re-signing Ceci, Dermott, or Barrie.

Ceci and Barrie are unlikely, especially Barrie. But if we do manage to win the Cup, it means something with the blueline went right. That would suggest maybe:

1) Ceci held his own on the top pair, and would maybe get a contract offer at a low price. If he wants to stay, maybe he stays.

2) Barrie was a force, and was everything Gardiner wasn't in our previous playoff appearances. With a flat cap, maybe he stays instead of pursuing a UFA or trade for a RHD.

3) Dermott manages to play on the top pair with Rielly, and he's now considered "the answer" to the RHD problem. Then he extends for more dollars and term, and cements a place in the lineup, rather than being the extra guy on the left side.

These are possible changes in direction that I can see coming from a Cup win. Someone's stock on the roster went up as the RHD solution. But even one of those 3 hapening doesn't mean anything changes at all. And I sure wouldn't care, one way or the other, as long as the team lifts the Cup.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The only small change that a Cup win might make to the game-plan would be chances of (or price of) re-signing Ceci, Dermott, or Barrie.

Ceci and Barrie are unlikely, especially Barrie. But if we do manage to win the Cup, it means something with the blueline went right. That would suggest maybe:

1) Ceci held his own on the top pair, and would maybe get a contract offer at a low price. If he wants to stay, maybe he stays.

2) Barrie was a force, and was everything Gardiner wasn't in our previous playoff appearances. With a flat cap, maybe he stays instead of pursuing a UFA or trade for a RHD.

3) Dermott manages to play on the top pair with Rielly, and he's now considered "the answer" to the RHD problem. Then he extends for more dollars and term, and cements a place in the lineup, rather than being the extra guy on the left side.

These are possible changes in direction that I can see coming from a Cup win. Someone's stock on the roster went up as the RHD solution. But even one of those 3 hapening doesn't mean anything changes at all. And I sure wouldn't care, one way or the other, as long as the team lifts the Cup.
Sometime in game 1 Dermy will be playing with Rielly most of da time ... Ceci just can't keep up he is a 3rd or 4th liner at best ... Keefe has already figured it out in phase 2 camp ... he tried Ceci with Muzzy and that did not work either so Holl is back in that role ... what i think will be hardest thing to asses is Barrie ... i expect game 2 if we lose game 1 for Sandin to replace Ceci (or maybe Barrie) ... depends how Barrie does on PP1 ... if he plays like in phase 3 camp and in ex game which was "why am I even here mode?" ... neither guy will be here next year and they both know it now ... Ceci will have a hard time getting 1.5M per as a 3rd liner mark my words

Reactions: Duckrider

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The Falcons?

grlfctfhxam41.jpg

Reactions: kb

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I assume you mean we win the cup.
If we do, at least a few of the guys we have talked about moving for cap reasons (Kerfoot, Kapanen, AJ, Dermott) will be come immediately more valuable.
The 'they cant/havent won' stink will be gone.
The 'they are winners' tag will be on them

I wouldn't doubt a guy like AJ (assuming he comes back and plays) really improves his value if he needs to be moved.
Kind of like the Chicago teams that would win and move the 'second tier' guys like Versteeg, Teravainen, Bickell, Saad, Sharp etc. Some of these guys left and had great careers, some just sputtered. But they all had their value bumped by winning.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I don't think a Cup win changes anything at all. The same principles of building the best team that you can, and retooling and restructuring your roster around 3-4 core players, apply regardless of whether the 10% chance scenario played out, or the 90% chance scenario played out.

If we win the Cup, that means we got pretty lucky. Not because we don't have a good team, but because there are a lot of other good teams, and we have to beat five of them to win, and the chances of that are probably somewhere around 5-10%. As fans, we celebrate, but if the event of winning chances anything about how Dubas constructs his roster for next year, that seems kind of absurd. You should always be seeking to make your team better, in the short and long term, and keep your window for more wins open as long as possible.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
There is no progress until we beat Boston. No fan should be satisfied with beating CBJ then losing to Boston again, no fan should settle for doing our best to avoid Boston either. But of course this summer we found out we can't avoid them. Every year we fail, there should be more expectation and less patience from us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad