Ok, so what if we win...what happens for next year?

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I thought I'd throw a wrench into everyone's thought process as it pertains to next year and our "need for Defence" and our"cap problem"? Could we see a big name being traded for a draft pick? Or do we keep who we can and move forward with what we have?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I thought I'd throw a wrench into everyone's thought process as it pertains to next year and our "need for Defence" and our"cap problem"? Could we see a big name being traded for a draft pick? Or do we keep who we can and move forward with what we have?

Said it before they could lose to Columbus in the play in round, they could win the cup or something else in between it doesn't matter how this ends they NEED a RD, you can't have Justin Holl as the guy on RD next year.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Said it before they could lose to Columbus in the play in round, they could win the cup or something else in between it doesn't matter how this ends they NEED a RD, you can't have Justin Holl as the guy on RD next year.

So... nevermind all that. Now what if?

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015

From what I saw last year Holl was amazing considering all the injuries. Lets say he's considered a top 4 dman next year?

Reactions: kb

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
From what I saw last year Holl was amazing considering all the injuries. Lets say he's considered a top 4 dman next year?

Then he's still the one top 4 D at RD, you still need more there he can't carry the right side.

You NEED at least 1 guy

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn't either. But Rielly in 2 years for a good First round pick?

Only under the premise that Sandin develops to the point of making Rielly a luxury... If Sandin can develop into a top pairing player, then yes, Rielly would be expendable... but to have the expectation that Sandin will turn into that, in two years, I don't think is realistic.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If we win the Cup this year. Could really careless what they do for the next 10 years.
Honestly, if they win this year, unless Andersen pulls a Roy back in the early 90s, someone in defence must have stepped up, Reilly might become the No1 stud like Keith, and Doughty after their Cup wins with Hawks and Kings, Dermott might showed he can play 1st pairing with Reilly, Heck maybe Marincin pulls a Hainsey with Pens and ride with that confidence with the rest of his career.

Reactions: nonikhanna

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
AJ and Rielly for Doughty and LA's 1st rounder 202o would be a great deal for next 2 years and then suck for rest of Doughty contract ... gives us 2 shots at a Cup ... and gives LA a top skating defense for years to come ... it is a very very risky deal but would give us Muzzy and Doughty as top pair for another 2 years ... it would let Dermy play 2nd pair with Holl and let our new defender play with Sandin (2 Swedes)

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
AJ and Rielly for Doughty and LA's 1st rounder 202o would be a great deal for next 2 years and then suck for rest of Doughty contract ... gives us 2 shots at a Cup ... and gives LA a top skating defense for years to come ... it is a very very risky deal but would give us Muzzy and Doughty as top pair for another 2 years ... it would let Dermy play 2nd pair with Holl and let our new defender play with Sandin (2 Swedes)
I wouldn't touch Drew Doughty's contract with a ten foot pole. There are better players available with less reputation value, who are making far more reasonable money. Our need for RD isn't that excessive. With two legitimate top pairing defenders in Muzzin & Rielly, we don't need a superstar RD, just a solid top four guy who can play alongside Rielly and compliment him well.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think the better question is what happens if they lose to Columbus.

Ideally, Dubas is sent packing and replaced with someone who has a more traditional vision, no more soft skill, more of a focus on defense. And someone who doesn’t have a habit of overpaying players.

Reactions: Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad