OT: OK, I'm moving to Los Angeles

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
In all honesty a big city like LA or London, UK would probably be your best bet at your age, plenty to see and do.

A few people I know have moved to Singapore... it seems like a really cool place and is very laid back on immigrants. It might be the best place for an econ grad, especially if you're looking for effective public transportation.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
A few people I know have moved to Singapore... it seems like a really cool place and is very laid back on immigrants. It might be the best place for an econ grad, especially if you're looking for effective public transportation.

One of the Facebook founders lives there now. He even gave up his US citizenship to avoid paying taxes.

LosVikingsDeChicago

Aug 2, 2005
I had a high school classmate move out to the Bay Area without a job. He lasted about a year then moved back to Ohio after playing credit card roulette. The cost of living ate him alive. My brother moved out to the Bay Area without a job, went to art school, bounced around as a contractor/freelancer and only after 5 years was able to find a stable job at a startup.

So unless you're willing to go into major debt, have somebody bankroll you, have a job lined up or become Mexican, I would suggest getting a 30 day tourist visa and scope out the area. If you like living there, go back to Canada and work on a plan to immigrate.

I loved living in California, but the cost of raising a family, the ****** condition of the school systems and the decrepit state government made it impossible to stay in the state. You don't have these problem because you're young, but if you happen to make in California and have a family these are things you have to consider.

Ron*

Only if you consider temperature in the 50s freezing.

We had overnight lows of 33 four nights in a row.

That's what I meant. It was freaking cold during the day too.

It was rare, true, but it happens. I've been here long enough to know of three such cold snaps. I remember one morning at 29 when I was in college. Below freezing.

Ron*

I always think it's hilarious how all the winter clothes comes out once the temp dips to the mid 60s. :laugh:

Some of those people should try living on the East Coast.

Been there, done that.

Froze my ass off in Georgia in November and sweated profusely in June.

Georgia sucks. And I don't mean Atlanta.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Never heard of this until now, will look for sure. Honestly, Toronto is nice, but transit is terrible. At least LA is making changes.
You are leaving Toronto because transit is terrible? Why not just move to an area along the subway line? What part of Toronto do you live in? I know the subway system is pretty laughable if you live in certain areas like eastern Scarborough but if you live somewhere where you can take a bus and the subway to work it's easy. I live in Scarborough not far from Warden station so I took a bus for ten minutes and the subway for 20 and was at work downtown.

I think you need to make a list of pros and cons and look at it objectively. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Have you looked into what healthcare would cost if you moved to the US? The monthly premiums are insanely high if your company doesn't pay for it.

Captain Mittens*

Before moving to LA, we did talk about this before btw in the Lounge, I would consider moving to other areas in CA before LA for safety reasons. While it is true there is crime no matter where you go and there are plenty of places in CA that are worse than others, the LA Area is somewhere I would be very picky in terms of where to live. Malibu, Most of the South Bay, and more so Southern Orange County I would prefer the most to be in for my safety but still. I would look to living in either down in San Diego or the Bay Area before LA, IMO.

This is bull **** by the way

The 15 safest cities in Cali

IRVINE..............215,673.....65........30
TEMECULA............100,922.....37........37
SIMI VALLEY.........121,538.....58........48
THOUSAND OAKS.......123,735.....61........49
MURRIETA............105,238.....52........49
SUNNYVALE...........132,144.....74........56
GLENDALE............197,384....128........65
ORANGE..............137,132.....95........69
CORONA .............152,438....111........73
SANTA CLARA.........111,106.....82........74
RANCHO CUCAMONGA ...176,676....153........87
BURBANK.............103,248.....91........88
HUNTINGTON BEACH....192,911....204.......106
COSTA MESA .........110,150....117.......106
TORRANCE............141,109....163.......116
14/15 are in So Cal

of the FBI's 25 most dangerous cities in America, NoCal has 2 in Oakland and Stockton,l SoCal has 0

ShattStar03

Jul 21, 2008
Claremont, CA
I have a buddy who moved from Chicago to LA (6 months ago), found a job within a couple of months (through a church), he had no technical skills but seems to making a living.

If you want to move out here, do it, you'll never know until you give a shot to be out here. What's the worst? You have to move back to Toronto - big deal.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Like most posters have been suggesting, if you want to move to LA it is often recommended that you have a full time job lined up. But nowadays it is pretty difficult, especially if you are a foreigners unless you have a specialty in a field that no one really wants, i.e. quantum analyst :amazed:

We have one of the best weather conditions in the world and in terms of safety, it depends on where you live. If you live in the suburbs of LA like La Canada, South Pasadena, San Marino, most parts of Pasadena, and etc you will most likely not face any crime. But most foreigners that are new to LA typically move to the West LA/Hollywood area. Now I am not saying those places are dangerous, what i'm implying is that the rent is EXPENSIVE. Owners of those areas know people will pay a premium for a single or double bedroom apartment and I just can't stand the congestion around that area.

California is general is an very expensive place to live. Our taxes are ridiculous, gas is expensive, rent is a expensive, and traffic is brutal depending on where you live. I have a lot of friends in the film industry who are trying to make it as actors and actresses. (Surprisingly a lot of them come from really well known universities) They work 3-5 different jobs just to get by and on top of that they still have student loans to pay off. I really don't know how they do it but they seem to be okay.

If you truly want to make it out to LA I recommend you live in the Inland Empire or the San Bernandino area. The rents are a lot cheaper there but one downside to those areas is that you'll need a car and if you work in the LA area, have fun sitting in traffic on the 10, 60, 210, and the 91.

I don't mean to sound discouraging but I think it's a wonderful idea that you want to come here. I would definitely DO it and see where life takes you. But because you are a foreigner, you would first have to take care of your status. I don't know if it's easy to apply for a work visa, I'm assuming it is quite difficult nowadays unless you have a specialty. But overall SO Cal is a great place to live and we have a lot of great people living here.

EDIT: Oh and someone mentioned school. Yes! I think that is a great suggestion and the easiest one of all. Continue your education in the states. Schools are always looking for diversity! And who knows a company might want to hire you and help you out with your status.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
One of the Facebook founders lives there now. He even gave up his US citizenship to avoid paying taxes.

Not to be pedantic but that's just a myth. He did give up US citizenship so he could pick up Singaporian but he still had to pay whatever tax he owed when selling all those nice overvalued Facebook shares. The US Goverment, and anyone else, gets paid.

On the topic at hand.

1. Immigration isn't easy. I'd just go to Vancouver or one of the commonwealth country's. About 1.5 million people move the the US but most of them have close family. It's not easy by any means.
2. California is a good bet for business. Just depends on which one. Most the people complaining about the state just have no idea how pathetically bad the rest of the country is. I've lived in 7 states and all of them are worse then California. At least in California we know things can get better. Most places seems to enjoy the poverty or just have no idea of what good means.
3. Californian taxes are low in comparison. This guys from Canada! We've nothing close to what they have up there. He'll even in the US the difference between a top-5 taxed state and the median is a grand total of 1%. Which he wouldn't even be paying because he's to poor to hit the real taxes. California's love to talk taxes... It's complicated but its not higher I think the median is lower but once again the cross state comparisons are strangely constricted. They don't even have a car tax.... Get that Californias? A actually property tax on your car... Every year....
4. LA maybe isn't a fun place to have a life..... San Diego or the Bay are better on every level. Don't bother with the IE, OC or god help you the Central Valley.
5. The Pacific Northwest is Mecca. I'd move to Seattle or Portland in a second. LA I'd have to think long and hard about. Still the West Coast is the best coast.....
6. Rent isn't high. I know it seems that way but because of housing prices when you get a place you get something for the money. In my current place the only people who don't own are so desperate they'll take anything. So to find someplace that's isn't covered in mold you pay more then in CA. It's why those generic rental stats are very problematic. O yea. Cost of living is higher on the EC. Foods more expensive, gas is the same darn price, every utility is higher, and we actually have the cost of cold weather. Something that's amazingly expensive. Cost of living stats are shockingly bad.

Last edited:

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Any So Cal folks, think San Diego would be better for someone like Munch? Seems to me he could rent a real cheap apt in TJ (300 dollars a month, seriously, walk to the trolley, find work and then move into the actual San Diego city or Suburb), once he gets his stuff together?

Captain Mittens*

Any So Cal folks, think San Diego would be better for someone like Munch? Seems to me he could rent a real cheap apt in TJ (300 dollars a month, seriously, walk to the trolley, find work and then move into the actual San Diego city or Suburb), once he gets his stuff together?
No
He'll get kidnapped and held for ransom in TJ. A Canadian who doesn't speak Spanish would stick out like a sore thumb and get abducted within an hour

You weren't wearing shorts two weeks ago when we had that freezing cold snap.

Unless you are mentally ill.

I didn't say 365 days a year. I said year round and as a fellow Californian, you know as well as I that we've had more Christmas' that were 75 degrees and sunny in the past 32 years than not. I'm not sure how many days of the winter are like that in Toronto but I'd venture to guess not many.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This is bull **** by the way

The 15 safest cities in Cali

14/15 are in So Cal

of the FBI's 25 most dangerous cities in America, NoCal has 2 in Oakland and Stockton,l SoCal has 0

With regards to crime stats I am careful with since there are too many thrown around way too easy and crime stats are based on actual police reports. There are plenty of crimes that happen and never get reported. If anything, you mentioed a few places I forgot to mention and we both forgot to mention that Santa Clartia is another safe place. However, there is no denying that the places I mentioned in picky fashion are the saftest of the safe. Burbank or Rancho Santa Mar? I would pick RSM.

2. California is a good bet for business. Just depends on which one. Most the people complaining about the state just have no idea how pathetically bad the rest of the country is. I've lived in 7 states and all of them are worse then California. At least in California we know things can get better. Most places seems to enjoy the poverty or just have no idea of what good means.

California is losing business left and right to other places willing to give them the tax breaks and where the unions are more non-existant compared to CA.

3. Californian taxes are low in comparison. This guys from Canada! We've nothing close to what they have up there. He'll even in the US the difference between a top-5 taxed state and the median is a grand total of 1%. Which he wouldn't even be paying because he's to poor to hit the real taxes. California's love to talk taxes... It's complicated but its not higher I think the median is lower but once again the cross state comparisons are strangely constricted. They don't even have a car tax.... Get that Californias? A actually property tax on your car... Every year....

Things usually tend to balance out where ones lives but even with moving to CA its still going to be tough for anyone to make a living in if they weren't able to take advantage of the California dream when it was both alive and well.

4. LA maybe isn't a fun place to have a life..... San Diego or the Bay are better on every level. Don't bother with the IE, OC or god help you the Central Valley.

While I would prefer to live in the SD or Bay Areas, from a fun standpoint the LA Area is the place to be, especially with nightlife overall. Also, most of the OC is way better than most of the IE or Central Valley.

6. Rent isn't high. I know it seems that way but because of housing prices when you get a place you get something for the money. In my current place the only people who don't own are so desperate they'll take anything. So to find someplace that's isn't covered in mold you pay more then in CA. It's why those generic rental stats are very problematic. O yea. Cost of living is higher on the EC. Foods more expensive, gas is the same darn price, every utility is higher, and we actually have the cost of cold weather. Something that's amazingly expensive. Cost of living stats are shockingly bad.

New York is the most expensive state to live in and the NorthEast is just expensive period. However, there are plenty of places down on the east side that is far more cheaper than the California Coast.

Captain Mittens*

We get it AP. You don't like CA.

Let's worry more about where this kids wants to live and finding him the place that he is going to be happiest

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
What kind of things are you into? That makes a big difference when deciding which part of Los Angeles to move to.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My sister moved from Ohio to Los Angeles without a job but she had a degree in recording engineering and that's where most of the jobs are (she works in movie/tv post-production)

She was successful because she was willing to get by on very little. She got a ridiculously small studio apartment in a nice and safe complex in Burbank, had a bunch of unpaid and ridiculously low paying jobs paying her dues in the industry and supported herself working nights & weekends at an AMC theater. She was okay eating lots of left-over bagels from the studios she was working at. She had no money left over to go out. That's where a lot of people fail and get into massive debt.

Southern California is a lot safer than people think, but if you want cheap rent, there's a trade off with safety. Even in cities like Simi Valley - once the safest city in the country - has some bad areas now.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Thanks for all the support. I will try to address this

You are leaving Toronto because transit is terrible? Why not just move to an area along the subway line? What part of Toronto do you live in? I know the subway system is pretty laughable if you live in certain areas like eastern Scarborough but if you live somewhere where you can take a bus and the subway to work it's easy. I live in Scarborough not far from Warden station so I took a bus for ten minutes and the subway for 20 and was at work downtown.

I think you need to make a list of pros and cons and look at it objectively. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Have you looked into what healthcare would cost if you moved to the US? The monthly premiums are insanely high if your company doesn't pay for it.

All true, of course. Thing I feel I I'm done. I live around Weston and Jane now, it's a pain. I want a change of pace. Besides I have lived here forever.

I have a buddy who moved from Chicago to LA (6 months ago), found a job within a couple of months (through a church), he had no technical skills but seems to making a living.

If you want to move out here, do it, you'll never knoto go tow until you give a shot to be out here. What's the worst? You have to move back to Toronto - big deal.

Thanks for the support.

Like most posters have been suggesting, if you want to move to LA it is often recommended that you have a full time job lined up. But nowadays it is pretty difficult, especially if you are a foreigners unless you have a specialty in a field that no one really wants, i.e. quantum analyst :amazed:

We have one of the best weather conditions in the world and in terms of safety, it depends on where you live. If you live in the suburbs of LA like La Canada, South Pasadena, San Marino, most parts of Pasadena, and etc you will most likely not face any crime. But most foreigners that are new to LA typically move to the West LA/Hollywood area. Now I am not saying those places are dangerous, what i'm implying is that the rent is EXPENSIVE. Owners of those areas know people will pay a premium for a single or double bedroom apartment and I just can't stand the congestion around that area.

California is general is an very expensive place to live. Our taxes are ridiculous, gas is expensive, rent is a expensive, and traffic is brutal depending on where you live. I have a lot of friends in the film industry who are trying to make it as actors and actresses. (Surprisingly a lot of them come from really well known universities) They work 3-5 different jobs just to get by and on top of that they still have student loans to pay off. I really don't know how they do it but they seem to be okay.

If you truly want to make it out to LA I recommend you live in the Inland Empire or the San Bernandino area. The rents are a lot cheaper there but one downside to those areas is that you'll need a car and if you work in the LA area, have fun sitting in traffic on the 10, 60, 210, and the 91.

I don't mean to sound discouraging but I think it's a wonderful idea that you want to come here. I would definitely DO it and see where life takes you. But because you are a foreigner, you would first have to take care of your status. I don't know if it's easy to apply for a work visa, I'm assuming it is quite difficult nowadays unless you have a specialty. But overall SO Cal is a great place to live and we have a lot of great people living here.

EDIT: Oh and someone mentioned school. Yes! I think that is a great suggestion and the easiest one of all. Continue your education in the states. Schools are always looking for diversity! And who knows a company might want to hire you and help you out with your status.

Good luck!

Definitely will be looking into CSU LA or something of the sort.

Not to be pedantic but that's just a myth. He did give up US citizenship so he could pick up Singaporian but he still had to pay whatever tax he owed when selling all those nice overvalued Facebook shares. The US Goverment, and anyone else, gets paid.

On the topic at hand.

1. Immigration isn't easy. I'd just go to Vancouver or one of the commonwealth country's. About 1.5 million people move the the US but most of them have close family. It's not easy by any means.
5. The Pacific Northwest is Mecca. I'd move to Seattle or Portland in a second. LA I'd have to think long and hard about. Still the West Coast is the best coast.....

Yeah I've notice there are some place along wilshire boulevard for 800-1000/ a month

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad