OK, I read today that the WJC is on the smaller NA ice surface??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
So what is it? Do the rinks in North Dakota expand to the European size dimensions, but are going to be played by the North American size dimensions?

Does anyone really know? I know it may not have a huge effect on who wins the tourney, but it may change the gameplan for some teams?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Mountain Dude said:
I've heard its NA rinks, but have no proof. :dunno:

I would consider the selection of someone like Andrew Ladd (considering the variety of competition for spots) not to be a proof, but a strong indication that the rinks will be small size.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Finnigan said:
The arena they are playing in has 2 olympic size ice rinks, so does it have another rink that is NA size?

2nd Olympic Ice Sheet (Practice Facility)

http://www.theralph.com/new2/Arena_Info_Section/BuildingStats.htm

The games will be played in two arenas, interestingly with the same name but one in Grand Forks and the other down the road somewhat. Both of these rinks are NA size.

The main rink in Grand Forks is a spectacular arena where I suspect all the medal round games will be played. Attached to it is a practice ice built Olympic size so that the UND Fighting Sioux can practice prior to playing NCAA teams with Olympic surfaces, like Colorado College. It is not a spectator facility so as far as I know, no games will be played on it.

The rink situation is due to the generosity of the namesake who made substantial donations to the UND programme and is creditted with "building" the rink for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad