OK, I read today that the WJC is on the smaller NA ice surface??

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by HabLover, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    So what is it? Do the rinks in North Dakota expand to the European size dimensions, but are going to be played by the North American size dimensions?

Does anyone really know? I know it may not have a huge effect on who wins the tourney, but it may change the gameplan for some teams?

2. I've heard its NA rinks, but have no proof. :dunno:

3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

I would consider the selection of someone like Andrew Ladd (considering the variety of competition for spots) not to be a proof, but a strong indication that the rinks will be small size.

4. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=108262&hubName=world_jrs

Talent, skill, speed and experience combined with the fact the tournament is close to home - eliminating jet lag and overseas travel - and will be played on the smaller North American ice surface at the University of North Dakota, make expectations high both within the team and out. None are higher than those of the head coach.

5. red devil

red devil Registered User

6. gb701

gb701 Registered User

Home Page:
    The games will be played in two arenas, interestingly with the same name but one in Grand Forks and the other down the road somewhat. Both of these rinks are NA size.

The main rink in Grand Forks is a spectacular arena where I suspect all the medal round games will be played. Attached to it is a practice ice built Olympic size so that the UND Fighting Sioux can practice prior to playing NCAA teams with Olympic surfaces, like Colorado College. It is not a spectator facility so as far as I know, no games will be played on it.

The rink situation is due to the generosity of the namesake who made substantial donations to the UND programme and is creditted with "building" the rink for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.