Half-Assed GDT: Oily men vs blue boys: return of the Hitch edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Berube quote: “Guys are trying to hang on to a lead instead of making it 3-0. That’s gotta be more of our mindset. We should’ve came out in the second period and pushed the pace right away on them and tried to make it 3-0.”

Ummmm...isn't this a coaching decision?
Is it? Did he change to a different formation, or different line match-ups to try and be more defensive? I didn't see that. Did he tell them to be less assertive? Maybe the coach can yell encouragement, but I don't think Berube made any coaching adjustments to encourage them to be passive.

Reactions: Bendak

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Is it? Did he change to a different formation, or different line match-ups to try and be more defensive? I didn't see that. Did he tell them to be less assertive? Maybe the coach can yell encouragement, but I don't think Berube made any coaching adjustments to encourage them to be passive.

So Berube is just letting guys do what they want out there?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Berube quote: “Guys are trying to hang on to a lead instead of making it 3-0. That’s gotta be more of our mindset. We should’ve came out in the second period and pushed the pace right away on them and tried to make it 3-0.”

Ummmm...isn't this a coaching decision?
What different coaching decisions did you notice being made or think should have been made differently?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
What different coaching decisions did you notice being made or think should have been made differently?
He didn't bench Taratanko who was by far the worst Blues player of the game. He only bent his knees twice the entire game and once was during the shootout. Taking a shift off now and again is one thing. Taking a whole game off while playing 3rd line minutes is another. Healthy scratch him. Even JBO put in actual effort on the ice.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
He didn't bench Taratanko who was by far the worst Blues player of the game. He only bent his knees twice the entire game and once was during the shootout. Taking a shift off now and again is one thing. Taking a whole game off while playing 3rd line minutes is another. Healthy scratch him. Even JBO put in actual effort on the ice.
Lol. Well that certainly is one take.

Saint Loser

Mar 16, 2018
If players are routinely sitting back and waiting to be attacked, then that tells me they are being coached to give up the blue line instead of forechecking the exiting defensemen, clogging the neutral zone and/or standing up opposing forwards at the blue line.

By routinely chipping and chasing the puck that tells me the players are being coached to play it safe.

Chip and chase or dump and chase have legitimate functions at strategic times, but Berube’s and Schenn’s post-game comments do not jive.

Either they are being coached to give up space and to chip and chase or they are not.

Question stands, Who establishes style of play? The players or the coach?

Is coaching merely a suggestion?

And if the players unilaterally decided to play their own way, then either Berube is an ineffective coach or the players are uncoachable or a combination of both to a degree.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think we necessarily turtled. I saw many dangerous chances.
excuse me, the shots something like 35-15 in the last 2 periods, FAVORING EDM?

what do you call that? because in the first the blues were up 15-5 or so.

They sat back and turtled. even schenn said as much post game.

Saint Loser

Mar 16, 2018
excuse me, the shots something like 35-15 in the last 2 periods, FAVORING EDM?

what do you call that? because in the first the blues were up 15-5 or so.

They sat back and turtled. even schenn said as much post game.
It was painfully obvious they turtled.

Chief Berube's comments that the players were just "trying to hang on" and they "should have pushed the pace right away" is insulting.

Did you COACH them to do that Chief?

Or did you ALLOW them to turtle?

Either way is an indictment on the Blues organization.

Granted, Chief had less skilled personnel, but there is no excuse to turtle and then blame the players for turtling.

Reactions: Bendak and TheDizee

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
200w.gif

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
It was painfully obvious they turtled.

Chief Berube's comments that the players were just "trying to hang on" and they "should have pushed the pace right away" is insulting.

Did you COACH them to do that Chief?

Or did you ALLOW them to turtle?

Either way is an indictment on the Blues organization.

Granted, Chief had less skilled personnel, but there is no excuse to turtle and then blame the players for turtling.
Frankly I don’t think the team really turtled. They had numerous dangerous scoring chances in the second half of the game but failed to convert. It seemed to me like they got frustrated when they failed to convert then tried to hold on for the final push. I guess you could call that turtling, but it’s not like they rolled over and quit trying to score for the majority of the second half of the game IMO.

Regardless, even if they did turtle, I don’t think you can really blame the coach for that. It seems like you’re looking hard for someone to blame but looking in the wrong direction. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad