Half-Assed GDT: Oily men vs blue boys: return of the Hitch edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
As an Oilers' fan, the refs are biased against us 95% of the time, but it's fairly clear that they took the win from the Blues' tonight.

How have the refs been, in terms of impartiality, towards your team this year?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
props to oiler fans for admitting the screwjob tonight but this has happened in almost every game in the past week or so im not really surprised. the zebras are just really bad at doing their jobs.

but refs did not cost us this win. we once again, tried to turtle on a 2-0 lead and ONCE AGAIN blew it late in a game. blues deserved to lose.

good luck to you all the rest of the season.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
After tonight's game,

* To guarantee a top-10 pick, we can't go better than 26-26-4
* To finish bottom-10, we can't go better than 30-23-3

So we didn't hurt our chances tonight. We did "improve" to "only" being 10 points back of Minnesota for the 2WC spot, and 11 points back of Dallas for the 1WC spot [which are really 11 and 12 points, respectively].

Reactions: Bendak

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I want petro, fabbri, and Schwartz to all get surgery. They look like they need some lengthy surgery. I also think Jake needs some concussion protocol after that uncalled goalie interference. Surely tank broke his ankle on that interference with cam, right?

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Why I don't even know what to say anymore. Oh yes I do. I turned the game off after the tying goal because I had a good idea what was going to happen anyway. This is like watching the same two and a half Men rerun that you have seen a dozen times because there is nothing else on. Once Sanford missed on the Blues twentieth chance to open a two-goal lead the writing was on the wall. Typical Blues, gut-check time and nobody's home. Sorry boys but this had nothing to do with the referees. Should have been up by 5 in the first period alone but this team cannot hit an open net. After that it is just chasing the game and waiting for the hammer to fall. This could very well be the worst team in the Western conference this year. #SAD

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Why I don't even know what to say anymore. Oh yes I do. I turned the game off after the tying goal because I had a good idea what was going to happen anyway. This is like watching the same two and a half Men rerun that you have seen a dozen times because there is nothing else on. Once Sanford missed on the Blues twentieth chance to open a two-goal lead the writing was on the wall. Typical Blues, gut-check time and nobody's home. Sorry boys but this had nothing to do with the referees. Should have been up by 5 in the first period alone but this team cannot hit an open net. After that it is just chasing the game and waiting for the hammer to fall. This could very well be the worst team in the Western conference this year. #SAD
We are the worst team in the western conference. The difference between us and la is that we aren't smart enough to keep trying for the top pick.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The goalie interference call and the ROR haul down in OT....ref incompetence.

I know this has been asked many times before, but did you actually watch the game?
Let's look at a pretty embarrassing point about tonight's game.
  • That penalty on Tarasenko was at 6:55 of the 2nd period. We were up 2-1 at the time. There was 33:05 of regulation left to overcome that penalty and get another goal; there was 32:09 of regulation before the point where the Oilers scored to tie the game. Once that penalty got killed off, it was 31:05 and 30:09.
  • From the time that penalty to Tarasenko ended until the end of regulation, we attempted a total of 13 shots. Let me repeat that: in 31:05 of playing time, Blues total shots attempted = 13. 8 were on net, 2 missed the net, 3 were blocked.
  • That same period of time? Edmonton had 20 shots on goal, missed on 13 others, and had another 7 blocked.
  • Yes, that means in the final 31:05 of regulation in terms of shots attempted Edmonton outshot us 40-13.
I know, if that penalty doesn't get called the goal counts and we're up 3-1 and it's possibly a different game. Fine, but that penalty did get called, and you have to play under what actually happened instead of some hypothetical scenario. Sorry, I've got no sympathy for not winning when you've got a little over half the game to overcome it and you proceed to get out-attempted by a 3:1 ratio and the opposition has 7 more shots on goal than you attempt in total.

Bad officiating happens. It shouldn't, I know - and I agree. But it does. Pointing to some bad call as the reason we lost the game ignores lots of time we had to overcome it, which we proceeded to piss away.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase

Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone

Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still

Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase Dump and chase

Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone Chase man in defensive zone

Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still Homerun pass to man standing still

Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league Bouwmeester looks worse than beer league

:)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
props to oiler fans for admitting the screwjob tonight but this has happened in almost every game in the past week or so im not really surprised. the zebras are just really bad at doing their jobs.

but refs did not cost us this win. we once again, tried to turtle on a 2-0 lead and ONCE AGAIN blew it late in a game. blues deserved to lose.

As many of the other passers by have noted we’ve been screwed by the stripes often enough over the last few seasons that Stormy Daniels thinks they need to cool it, so we can admit it pretty readily when things actually go in our favour for once.

You’ll turn it around. Way too much talent not to. Allen’s gotta go, though. Just not a goalie you can win with in my admittedly don’t know much about goaltending opinion.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I stopped watching in the 3rd period. Glad I did. :laugh:

I love that Jack Hughes is becoming more of a reality, but I just know the Blues will f*** it up and miss out on him. It’s inevitable.

Reactions: shifting and Bendak

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Blues have no control over finishing first, much less the top 3. We all know what would happen if the Blues actually do finish in the bottom of the standings. They will not win the lottery because Blues.

How many points have we squandered this year? Got to be approaching double digits. Beyond frustrated with how this season has gone. Should have been at least 4-1 going into the 3rd period. Parayko clanking one off the iron, horrible goalie interference on Tarasenko. Feel like there was another missed goal in there somewhere that I'm not recalling.

Instead, we lose in typical Blues fashion. Also another game where the zebras were brutal.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
seems like the blues are too "in the moment"

play a good 20, pat yourself on the back, then coast for 40

there's been maybe 2 solid 60 min efforts this year

Reactions: Bendak and shifting

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO

I don't think we necessarily turtled. I saw many dangerous chances.

Reactions: stl76 and Bendak

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
After tonight's game,

* To guarantee a top-10 pick, we can't go better than 26-26-4
* To finish bottom-10, we can't go better than 30-23-3

So we didn't hurt our chances tonight. We did "improve" to "only" being 10 points back of Minnesota for the 2WC spot, and 11 points back of Dallas for the 1WC spot [which are really 11 and 12 points, respectively].
So you can just say have to stay even (1 point per game) and no better than +7.

I can't bring myself to root for losses, but I don't feel bad after they lose any more. I still have a piece of me that has hope for a miraculous run to sneak into the playoffs, but I logically know that's not happening. And I have a huge piece that believes there is no way the Blues win the draft lottery no matter where they finish, so why bother tanking. They'll get a good player if they finish bottom 10. If not, we'll watch Buffalo draft some schmuck.

Mar 6, 2012
I stopped watching in the 3rd period. Glad I did. :laugh:

I love that Jack Hughes is becoming more of a reality, but I just know the Blues will **** it up and miss out on him. It’s inevitable.

But Hughes rhymes with Blues... and lose... it's like our destiny...

Reactions: TK 421 and Bendak

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Berube quote: “Guys are trying to hang on to a lead instead of making it 3-0. That’s gotta be more of our mindset. We should’ve came out in the second period and pushed the pace right away on them and tried to make it 3-0.”

Ummmm...isn't this a coaching decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad