Post-Game Talk: Oilers win a defensive battle? Oilers won a defensive battle!

space321

May 11, 2011
Feels so good to have depth scoring actually showing up more than once every 10 games

Also Jesse is on a f***ing roll and looks so good out there, I feel so vindicated after saying that I admire his decision to take a step back and regather himself. Sometimes it's just incredibly difficult to be a 20 year old halfway across the world from home, no matter what your job is supposed to be. Hope Jesse can keep up the good play and keep contributing.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I got you brother. I’m listening. Taking one for the team

Caller just said: “Pat, I know you’re jacked. Probably lifting between callers....you’re an athlete”. And then he trailed off and didn’t really ask a question

To his credit, McLovin laughed and said “no I’m not”
The caller was F****.. i felt bad for MClovin

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think fully healthy our d should be

Nurse - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson
Bouchard - Bear

Yes I do think playing Bouchard on his off side would be fine.
Yup. Rotate Russell/Koekkoek in for Lagesson as needed if he has a rough stretch or if an injury pops up, but I like the looks of that. I also wouldn't mind some sort of swap between the 2nd and 3rd pairing to give each pairing at least 1 really strong puck mover.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Feels so good to have depth scoring actually showing up more than once every 10 games

Also Jesse is on a f***ing roll and looks so good out there, I feel so vindicated after saying that I admire his decision to take a step back and regather himself. Sometimes it's just incredibly difficult to be a 20 year old halfway across the world from home, no matter what your job is supposed to be. Hope Jesse can keep up the good play and keep contributing.
I think he is still learning to play hockey

once he is 25 he will be a force

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think he is still learning to play hockey

once he is 25 he will be a force
I agree. You can tell he’s learning, processing things and applying them out there. His goal tonight is a perfect example. The way he found the soft spot in coverage to be open for the pass form Barrie is something he didn’t have the ability to do two years ago

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I agree. You can tell he’s learning, processing things and applying them out there. His goal tonight is a perfect example. The way he found the soft spot in coverage to be open for the pass form Barrie is something he didn’t have the ability to do two years ago

Or even earlier this season.

He's learning fast.

It's telling that he's moved onto puck skill training during practices now. It means he's well enough trained in the systems play and fundamentals of tactics.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Based on the minutes tonight, Oilers should dress 7D tomorrow.

Not sure which forward you scratch though and that is why I doubt they do it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I didn't even notice him missing. Was he a healthy scratch?
Somebody said Jones hurt him in practice.
EXiIjft.gif

wtf is that. I don't think Jones is particularly bright...

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
At what point do we get Bear and Turris in if this team keeps playing like this? Especially on defence, Barrie, Bouch and Larsson have been excellent.

Haas is clearly a better player than Turris and Khaira has been fantastic since returning from the Taxi Squad. I mean, maybe you take Chiasson out and play Turris on the wing/center with Haas? I wouldn't mind seeing Nygard get some reps in too, I like his forecheck and tenacity. Especially playing with Haas.

I think you just rotate Neal, Chiasson, Turris, Nygard in with Haas till you find something that works consistently.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Barrie brings something in the offensive zone as a defenseman that this team hasn't had since Visnovsky, but I don't like him playing that much in a top pairing against top competition. He has real value, but he's a very high-event player who is not strong defensively, and over time I think he's best used in a more sheltered role 5v5.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's nitpicking, but it is something that does bug me and it's the fact that Pulju shares the same love of goal scoring that Yakupov did and everyone is stoic towards it in the same way.

Ovechkin loves to score and his teammates feed off of it, but there's something within the Edmonton water that just doesn't allow that same type of enthusiasm.

Watch the Pulju goal tonight, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

The kid scored against the f***ing Flames. It's not a time to be stoic. Celebrate.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
EXiIjft.gif

wtf is that. I don't think Jones is particularly bright...
Yeh seriously wtf was that? Jones has not impressed at all. Not last year, not this year. I don’t even know if his amateur pedigree even points to a ceiling we should still be trying to hit with him. I don’t get it with this player, he doesn’t bring much and doesn’t seem to have the potential to bring more so why are we wasting our time.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's nitpicking, but it is something that does bug me and it's the fact that Pulju shares the same love of goal scoring that Yakupov did and everyone is stoic towards it in the same way.

Ovechkin loved to score and his teammates feed off of it, but there's something within the Edmonton water that just doesn't allow that same type of enthusiasm.

Watch the Pulju goal tonight, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

The kid scored against the f***ing Flames. It's not a time to be stoic. Celebrate.

I’ve noticed this a lot. Everyone on the Oilers is so “cool” when scoring.... barely a celebration. Could be viewed as the team just getting down to business and not viewing a single goal as a job well done but still... would like to see them share Puljus excitement more.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So Calgary radio seems to think that the Flames have the best young defence core in the North division. Thoughts?

Not likely. Andersson is pretty good. Too soon to say on Valimaki. Hanifin seems disappointing if hes even considered young at this point.

I am biased but I would take Edmontons younger guys over Calgary’s. Theres not really a lot of great young dman in the north to be honest though. Hughes probably has the most potential:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->