Oilers win 5-3

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I still think Ben Eager can be an effective player for the oilers. As far as Ryan Jones is concerned, his days are done with the oilers imo.

Totally agree. Jones just looks horrible. Eager is coasting a bit, but, it is pre season. He is the kind of guy I want in the line up if we make the playoffs. Jones........ release him.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
No, it's his attitude too. I don't see Hemsky eager to backcheck or finish his checks for anyone else.

It's pretty astonishing he managed to be that lazy yet still be so effective against tough competition for so long. This is the NHL and he's a longterm vet, he's always backchecked hard. Your position is complete fabrication i'd suggest. In fact i remember Hitchcock even commenting a few years back at how solid he felt Hemsky was as a two way player. He may have him being a bit more physical but Hemsky's an excellent player regardless of who's coaching, and effort has never been an issue from where i'm standing. Hemsky's apparent indifference to playing a complete game has to be one of the more ridiculous HFoil myth's i know of.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I was at the game tonight.

I tried to watch Pitkick, Belov, Nurse and Arcobello particularly, and all four impressed me in some capacity.

Pitlick hits everything he can and he's trying really hard to find a niche in the NHL. The thing that separates him from other plug hitters and grinders is his innate hockey sense. He knows where the play is going to go and although it doesn't translate into offense, it makes him a really responsible player.

Nurse was unreal. Wow. This guy is so poised, so responsible, so mature. He honestly looked like Pronger at times which is a comparison I do not throw around like its nothing. He can seemingly shut anybody down, always makes the perfect pass and once he bulks up, will be a dominant force. We have a gem on our hands.

Belov has also been a pleasant surprise, as he looks like a diamond in the rough. Like Nurse, he plays a poised and responsible game. He isn't a great skater but he never gets caught out of position because if his hockey sense. He's easily in our top 6, and maybe our top 4 by the end of the year.

I'm really rooting for Arcobello, but he seems outmatched at times. He's pretty average outside of the offensive zone, but he's creative with the puck and seems to have some nice chemistry with Eberle. I think he deserves a shot as Gagner's replacement.

Smyth and Hemsky also looked a lot better than usual.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I`d say Pitlick, Hamilton, Lander are on there way down to OKC.
Acton has been dynamite in the dot but about sub-par after that.
My guess is we see something at least close this come Oct. 1st.

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Brown-Acton-Eager

Press Box: Macintyre, Jones

Ference-J.Schultz
Smid-Petry
Belov-Larsen

Press Box: N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera

IR: Potter, NUG, Gagner, Grebishkov

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
No Oilers winger other than MPS did this better than Hemsky in the last 2-3 years.

But I guess when you say "I don't see" - you aren't watching the games?

Haven't you heard? All skill euros are soft and don't backcheck, most of them have bad attitudes too.

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
After this game and with the whole preseason in mind, here are my lines for the first nine games:

Joensuu-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Pitlick-Gordon-Yakupov
Smyth-Acton-Eager
Hamilton Brown
Nurse-Ference
Petry-Smid
Justin-Belov
Nick
Larsen

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
It's pretty astonishing he managed to be that lazy yet still be so effective against tough competition for so long. This is the NHL and he's a longterm vet, he's always backchecked hard. Your position is complete fabrication i'd suggest. In fact i remember Hitchcock even commenting a few years back at how solid he felt Hemsky was as a two way player. He may have him being a bit more physical but Hemsky's an excellent player regardless of who's coaching, and effort has never been an issue from where i'm standing. Hemsky's apparent indifference to playing a complete game has to be one of the more ridiculous HFoil myth's i know of.

I don't care enough to get into that argument. If someone else wants to, that their business. But I don't see him as a 2 way player, and I certainly don't see him relishing such as a role as he appears to now.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Thought he looked great offensively at least 4 great scoring chances his passes created. Plays the center position well in top 6 role IMO.

2 nights in a row he's been solid. He's looking like a reasonable enough stop gap. I was worried he'd disappear for long stretches, and it's still a concern, but he's been doing a good job creating enough chances to keep his head afloat. He could end up being a Rich Peverly type for this group, and that would sure be swell.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Even with Nurse looking impressive. I still want him to go back to junior. I would rather him dominate in the OHL than play bottom pairing minutes here and be in over his head 1/2 the time. And I feel like once the vets around the league get going he would be in over his head.

Nurse has made a believer out of me. But we are finally in a position where we don't need to rush someone. Lets not do it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Totally agree. Jones just looks horrible. Eager is coasting a bit, but, it is pre season. He is the kind of guy I want in the line up if we make the playoffs. Jones........ release him.

Sorry to break it to you but Eager's not coasting, he's simply just not very effective. He won't kill you on the 4th, but he's nothing special.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I could see Perron having a really good year with the oilers. Maybe 30g 20a. It's unbelievable to me that we may have added another tremendous scoring threat. If we can weather the storm until Nuge and Gagner get healthy we're going to have one hell of a top 6.

You might want to take at Perron's assists. :)

I also think he's going to be good for 30g 40a playing with you guys.

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Even with Nurse looking impressive. I still want him to go back to junior. I would rather him dominate in the OHL than play bottom pairing minutes here and be in over his head 1/2 the time. And I feel like once the vets around the league get going he would be in over his head.

Nurse has made a believer out of me. But we are finally in a position where we don't need to rush someone. Lets not do it.

You're completely right. A lot more can be gained by letting him play in the OHL than the NHL. The idea of him playing is just exciting.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Jones will be waived more than likely. Too bad. Seems that eye injury has really done him in. It actually creates a hole in the bottom six that will need to be filled. Also...with Gagner and RNH out, isn't is astonishing that Yak is still not in the top 6?

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
2 nights in a row he's been solid. He's looking like a reasonable enough stop gap. I was worried he'd disappear for long stretches, and it's still a concern, but he's been doing a good job creating enough chances to keep his head afloat. He could end up being a Rich Peverly type for this group, and that would sure be swell.

Yep he has not been disappointing and he definitely has very good vision in O zone.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Defense is a tough position on the body, far tougher than forward. With the way Nurse plays there is a very real injury risk in keeping him up. He deserves a spot on merit, but for his own good i'd agree with you the OHL is the place to be.

Last edited:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Jones will be waived more than likely. Too bad. Seems that eye injury has really done him in. It actually creates a hole in the bottom six that will need to be filled. Also...with Gagner and RNH out, isn't is astonishing that Yak is still not in the top 6?

Maybe they could say he has a groin injury and put him on IR?

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Shane Jones ‏@realshanejones 11m
Oilers Eberle on linemate Perron "Chemistry is a tough thing to find in this league and when you find it, is something to keep."

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Nurse deserves a 9 game stint based on this preseason. This much is easy. The hard decision, but what should be seen as the correct decision, is to send the kid down to dominate the OHL, while captaining his team. Throw in some possible WJHC time and then try him again next season. It sucks though. If he is able to play the way he has this preseason every night, then he is ready for the NHL now. Preseason hockey, sure, but he played this well against the likes of the Sedins and other top end players.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Belov also looks to have a nice shot. Hopefully he can hit the net and pot some this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->