Oilers win 5-3

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Why should Lander fight for a spot? He's been given a free ride in the nhl for 2 years.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Nurse has looked excellent the last few games. That being said the people scoffing at Nichushkin need to give their heads a shake. Dallas' best forward other than Seguin thus far this preseason. Yes, better than Benn.

Nich has been awesome something like 30 shots in pre season so far, but every time I see Nurse play I am feeling a lot better of Mac T choice.

The Perfect Human*

No, it's his attitude too. I don't see Hemsky eager to backcheck or finish his checks for anyone else.

No Oilers winger other than MPS did this better than Hemsky in the last 2-3 years.

But I guess when you say "I don't see" - you aren't watching the games?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I think Ryan Jones and Ryan Hamilton should be cut. Just nothing happening there at all. They had as much impact on this game as Omark had last night.

Eager has barely done a thing all pre-season, but he still edges these two out.

Pitlick has actually played better than all of them, although he looked a bit out of gas tonight, and could get nothing going without Joensuu.

Thought Arco looked okay, and Will Acton also edges out Lander, although he isn't much of a player either.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm totally unimpressed with out bottom 6 forwards, with the exception of Joensuu and Pitlick, who have had good (at times great) camps.

Unfortunately that's not saying much at this point...

I think I could be comfortable with Arco as a temporary stopgap to start the year out, unless he totally ***** the bed...

Quite a fair assessment of the bottom six this game though however by you.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This guys has really been disappointing. It's like he didn't realize there was a spot to be had on this team. No zeal, no motivation - just playing his safe-man's game.

I was hoping for a Pitlick-like performance from him, but he's not bringing it. The dude needs to realize he needs to engage more physically and go to the tougher areas to produce.

At this point he's a "nothing" player. Hopefully he figures it out soon because IIRC it's a contract year for him.

I know that he is better than this. It's like he's not even trying out there almost as if it's mental. He's getting outplayed (barely but still...) by Acton, he should take a long look in the mirror and be ashamed of himself for letting that happen.
I'm starting to question whether or not he will ever be a full time NHLer and I've always been a fan of his. Another season or two of minimal improvement and he'll be the next Will Acton.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Petry coughed up the puck several times on the first goal. Yikes.
Arcobello isn't ready for the big time. Maybe he'll do in a pinch, but...
Schultz's offensive acumen is off the charts compared to our other d-men.
I find myself saying "Tough Actin' Will Acton" far too often.
Belov has a job, as far as I'm concerned.
Perron looks like he'll be on his game far more than Paajarvi will. Amazing hands.
This "new" swarming defence was the reason why we were so bad last year. I'm just shaking my head here.
Smyth looks rejuvenated. If you're going to rag on him all year, do it early and often so I can put you on ignore.
Lander has lost the 4C spot to Acton.
Labarbera might just be as slow as Dubnyk. Slower. But he doesn't kneel on everything.
Eager's goal was one of the craziest I've even in a while, haha.
Dorsett, ever the miserable d-bag. What a loser.
Pretty easy game against a neutered Rags squad.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
i hesitant to say it but it appears this system is quite effective and has me very optimistic about this season

Dallas Eakins being a fitness freak and organic food guru helps a lot. It will raise the overall level of everyones game as long as they follow his shining example.

The Perfect Human*

I know that he is better than this. It's like he's not even trying out there almost as if it's mental. He's getting outplayed (barely but still...) by Acton, he should take a long look in the mirror and be ashamed of himself for letting that happen.
I'm starting to question whether or not he will ever be a full time NHLer and I've always been a fan of his. Another season or two of minimal improvement and he'll be the next Will Acton.

I see him leaving after this season. Like some other Swedish posters have alluded to - his heart might still be with Timra.

That being said - it's not like playing there will turn him into some SEL superstar either.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Pre-Season Record

2013: 7-1-1 (1)

2011: 5-3-0 (5)
2010: 4-2-0 (4)
2009: 4-3-1 (4)
2008: 2-2-3 (11)

Note: (Conference Ranking)

I was actually expecting the team to have worse records in previous years.

Last edited:

The Perfect Human*

Pre-Season Record

2013: 7-1-1 (1)

2011: 5-3-0 (5)
2010: 4-2-0 (4)
2009: 4-3-1 (4)
2008: 2-2-3 (11)

Note: (League Ranking)

I was actually expecting the team to have worse records in previous years.

I am placing 0% value on our preseason record - there is zero crossover effect into the regular season

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pre-season hockey sucks.

Bring on the real season.

This x1000

I'm sure that most of the players in the league are thinking the same thing. Most of the Oilers have mentally checked out of preseason already, so have I to be honest.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This x1000

I'm sure that most of the players in the league are thinking the same thing. Most of the Oilers have mentally checked out of preseason already, so have I to be honest.

That was so very evident tonight.
There is nothing worse than watching a game with zero intensity except maybe playing in one.

Next week cant come soon enough.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Pumped for the season to start already. Nurse is a stud, thought the behind the back pass was a fluke lol, he was just throwing it out front. Still, great mobility and vision. I mean I just love that he had the ability to pull of two fakes and get behind the net.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I am placing 0% value on our preseason record - there is zero crossover effect into the regular season

Me too, I just wanted to compare this year against previous years. The records show, pre-season success is not an indicator of regular season success for the Oilers.

Easilee 27

Jun 24, 2003
Red Deer
Visit site
Kreuger-2.png

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::cry::cry::laugh:

Well played sir!

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I think Ryan Jones and Ryan Hamilton should be cut. Just nothing happening there at all. They had as much impact on this game as Omark had last night.

Eager has barely done a thing all pre-season, but he still edges these two out.

Pitlick has actually played better than all of them, although he looked a bit out of gas tonight, and could get nothing going without Joensuu.

Thought Arco looked okay, and Will Acton also edges out Lander, although he isn't much of a player either.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm totally unimpressed with out bottom 6 forwards, with the exception of Joensuu and Pitlick, who have had good (at times great) camps.

Thought he looked great offensively at least 4 great scoring chances his passes created. Plays the center position well in top 6 role IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pumped for the season to start already. Nurse is a stud, thought the behind the back pass was a fluke lol, he was just throwing it out front. Still, great mobility and vision. I mean I just love that he had the ability to pull of two fakes and get behind the net.

Nurse is a fine skater but he never would have gotten as far as he did in a meaningful game. Just underscores why Pre-season is so brutal to watch.

Distinct

Mar 7, 2013
I still think Ben Eager can be an effective player for the oilers. As far as Ryan Jones is concerned, his days are done with the oilers imo.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
No Oilers winger other than MPS did this better than Hemsky in the last 2-3 years.

But I guess when you say "I don't see" - you aren't watching the games?

I guess not. But then again, I'm one of those crazy guys who still thinks Hall can crack the top 6 on this team, so who knows. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->