Oilers win 5-3

Conkanen*

Missed the first 2 periods cuz I was at work.

Nurse's assist was sick, but he made an amazingly accurate stretch pass earlier in the period that put Eberle on a breakaway.

Pretty sure that was Larsen...I am 100% positive it was a right handed d-man anyways cause I replayed a few times on the PVR.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Hemsky is the most engaged he's been in years I think.

Can't believe Oilers have this good a record in preseason ; I realize it's meaningless but with RNH and now Gagner gone, and all the borderline NHL players fighting for a roster spot, I thought preseason would be a hot mess

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nurse has looked excellent the last few games. That being said the people scoffing at Nichushkin need to give their heads a shake. Dallas' best forward other than Seguin thus far this preseason. Yes, better than Benn.

I really wonder if Mac-T flipped a coin between the two of them because going into the draft we had a ton of d-men in the system.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Nurse has looked excellent the last few games. That being said the people scoffing at Nichushkin need to give their heads a shake. Dallas' best forward other than Seguin thus far this preseason. Yes, better than Benn.

It's looking like the Oilers were in a no lose situation at number 7, picks 6-7-8 have all looked great so far. At this point though i'm thinking Nurse might have the highest longterm worth, a Shea Weber type #1 dman is worth a lot. He's been unreal.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Tell that to Stauffer

Stauffer lost my respect when he went from last season saying Krueger would one day win the Adams Trophy to this year throwing the man under the bus regularly on his show. He is the company man of company men.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Belov and Larsen made the team tonight.
If this was next year and Nurse was a year older and a bit heavier, he would have made the team but he needs to go down to junior and round out his game but man, he could be something special. Is anybody really upset about this pick now?
Jones is done. Cya. It's too bad because he's a nice guy.
Lander looks like an AHLer at this point, disappointing because I expected more from him.
I think it's a good sign that Perron wasn't even trying and he still scored 2 goals. Is there any doubt that he's a big upgrade on Paajarvi?

What a snoozefest this game was. Half the team was coasting, basically done with the preseason mentally and that makes for bad hockey.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I could see Perron having a really good year with the oilers. Maybe 30g 20a. It's unbelievable to me that we may have added another tremendous scoring threat. If we can weather the storm until Nuge and Gagner get healthy we're going to have one hell of a top 6.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Can't believe Oilers have this good a record in preseason ; I realize it's meaningless but with RNH and now Gagner gone, and all the borderline NHL players fighting for a roster spot, I thought preseason would be a hot mess

I didn't think it would happen but it looks like Eakins has gotten through to Hemsky. I don't know if that's a credit to Eakins' people skills or Hemsky being humbled a bit in the offseason but it looks like they've made a connection. Eakins said recently that Hemsky has been a joy for him to coach.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Hot mess you say?

tumblr_mnhvoo6mu01qceyu1o1_500.png

The Perfect Human*

Belov and Larsen made the team tonight.
If this was next year and Nurse was a year older and a bit heavier, he would have made the team but he needs to go down to junior and round out his game but man, he could be something special. Is anybody really upset about this pick now?
Jones is done. Cya. It's too bad because he's a nice guy.
Lander looks like an AHLer at this point, disappointing because I expected more from him.

What a snoozefest this game was. Half the team was coasting, basically done with the preseason mentally and that makes for bad hockey.

This guys has really been disappointing. It's like he didn't realize there was a spot to be had on this team. No zeal, no motivation - just playing his safe-man's game.

I was hoping for a Pitlick-like performance from him, but he's not bringing it. The dude needs to realize he needs to engage more physically and go to the tougher areas to produce.

At this point he's a "nothing" player. Hopefully he figures it out soon because IIRC it's a contract year for him.

Conkanen*

I agree on all things Nurse. Just wow. Just scary good RIGHT now. Can't wait for him to fill out.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario

You will see how little value Gagner actually adds to the team. I hope for a Gagner trade in the near future.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m

"(Sitting back with a lead) kills me... makes me crazy... I find the best way to hold a lead is to score another goal." @dallaseakins

I like hearing that.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Eakins didn't look too happy in the 3rd... but nonetheless this beats losing.

Perron, Belov continue to impress. Arco looked good too.

As I was watching, I can see why. The Oilers only played 40 minutes, and I don't think that sits too well with Eakins.

Arcobello really stood out with Ebs and Perron. He could be a dark horse.

I'd like to know what the faceoff %ages were like. Acton seemed to rule the roost in that department.

Just as an offside here (no pun intended :D ), man does Hemskey still have wheels. I've always been a fan of his, and it amazes me that he still has so much speed, and at times thriftiness.

I'm hoping he has a good year this year.

Oh yeah, Labarberra looked like he had a lot more control of the rebounds compared to the first game I saw of him!

Good win.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
As good as Nurse has been, Belov and Larsen played like NHLers today. It's better that we send him to junior where he can hopefully captain the Greyhounds to a deep playoff run.

Ference-J Schultz
Smid-Petry
Belov-Larsen
N Schultz

I wouldn't mind if this was our defensive unit to start the year. Bottom 6 is getting really convoluted, the only locks for me are Gordon and Joensuu.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
A player like Jones will get the benefit of the doubt though if he shows he's still got it in one or two games.

The guy used to be a very effective role player and the Oilers could really use the tenacious forchecking style he used to have.

It's tough to say you're establishing competition in camp and then keep a guy who's done nothing good since the games stopped having juniors in them. I liked Jones but he's been awful, there's got to be a better winger who can do his job on waivers if your that worried about getting guys to fill a role. At this point i'd keep Hamilton over him. I may take Jones over Eager but i got a feeling all 3 goons make the roster for the first date with Vancouver. I just don't see the point, it's not like he was good last year. The team needs to cut bait with these guys, you can't improve your roster by being loyal to those who can't do what needs to be done. I'd waive him in hopes he's claimed.

Koto

May 3, 2011
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m

"(Sitting back with a lead) kills me... makes me crazy... I find the best way to hold a lead is to score another goal." @dallaseakins

I like hearing that.

nice to hear, no yak in 3rd periods was the worst thing about last year.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC

Agreed... To a point I have a lot more confidence in Darnell's attitude and our ability to keep him Lon term as a part of our core. We have been spoiled by yak there is a little bit of baggage with some Russian players. And I think Perron has looked as good as nichushkin so better to have nurse a possible top 2 dman

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I think Ryan Jones and Ryan Hamilton should be cut. Just nothing happening there at all. They had as much impact on this game as Omark had last night.

Eager has barely done a thing all pre-season, but he still edges these two out.

Pitlick has actually played better than all of them, although he looked a bit out of gas tonight, and could get nothing going without Joensuu.

Thought Arco looked okay, and Will Acton also edges out Lander, although he isn't much of a player either.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm totally unimpressed with out bottom 6 forwards, with the exception of Joensuu and Pitlick, who have had good (at times great) camps.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't think it would happen but it looks like Eakins has gotten through to Hemsky. I don't know if that's a credit to Eakins' people skills or Hemsky being humbled a bit in the offseason but it looks like they've made a connection. Eakins said recently that Hemsky has been a joy for him to coach.

Or his foot and shoulders aren't broken...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad