Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-3 ... Arcobello for MVP

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I think it's safe to say that it's a matter of when, not if, Yakupov gets traded at this point.

It's obvious that this team views him as the red headed stepchild of the 'kids', and are simply waiting for the right deal to move him along. I'll bet Larionov will have a lot to divulge once his client's an ex-Oiler.

And this isn't meant to exonerate Yak's poor play, certainly in part he's earned the pine he rides...but it sure seems like he gets judged on a different set of rules than nearly everyone else.

Have to agree

And it's going to be an absolute disaster for the team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think it's safe to say that it's a matter of when, not if, Yakupov gets traded at this point.

It's obvious that this team views him as the red headed stepchild of the 'kids', and are simply waiting for the right deal to move him along. I'll bet Larionov will have a lot to divulge once his client's an ex-Oiler.

And this isn't meant to exonerate Yak's poor play, certainly in part he's earned the pine he rides...but it sure seems like he gets judged on a different set of rules than nearly everyone else.

He's a horrendous defensive player, Oilers had the lead.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Man am so ****ing pissed. Had 100$ on oilers tonight, i actually thought they would have a discent effort today and florida sucks...

How can you have RNH on the ****ng pp, the litle kid cant hit the puck and end the game 3times on the same pp.
Not to mention the other 90 times they should have burried this game in the second and third but didnt even manage to hit the ****ing goal.

Why not pull Dubbie at the end of the game and put Hemsky, ronald mcdonald or even a bag off pucks in the net.

Cant catch a ****ing slow ass shoot free sight with one minute left.
Thanks the biggest joke of a hockey club EVER.

I'm not too optimistic either, but calm down, we did win....

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Just put of curiosity, why are you ready to jettison Schultz but are willing to ride out Yakupovs ineptitude? Neither have 70 games of NHL experience.

I don't have a clue what's going on with Eberle either but to say you like Yaks play much more is a little confusing.

good question. I'm surprised to find I have an answer.

They cant really replace Yaks shot in the foreseeable future. If Justin Schultz is maxing out as a powerplay quarterback...well...we have Larsen...Gernat...possibly Belov...Ekblad if we're lucky.

I'm happy to keep Schultz but he needs to show some development to help the Oilers in the present.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tonight was a repeat of Krueger-style coaching.

Winning? Young foreign goal scorer is a liability, throw out "reliable" vets like Hemsky and Smyth... who turn the puck over and get scored on.

Also keep him off the power play instead of playing to his strengths, because you can never be too sure.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's a horrendous defensive player, Oilers had the lead.

And our other forwards aren't? Yak has been much better defensively since getting scratched and he didn't make any poor defensive plays against Florida.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I really, really dislike Devan Dubnyk. What a useless player. He can't make ONE big save.

he made a nice pad save in the second. However, HE was even surprised he made a nice save. He is even comical on those rare occassions he achieves the ability to not completely suck. Comical in disgraceful inability and comical in fluke quality saves.

Jul 19, 2012
Gags really is the definition of whats wrong with our forwards

I only saw the 2nd period. But he sucked in the 2nd. Why MacT resigned him when he was at his all time high for trade bait I will never know. Huge and stupid mistake of a GM blinded by a Pisani-ish view of a short term sample size. (1/2 season and a MacT as a new GM)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think its a little early to judge Gagner after missing 10 games and having to play with a still recovering jaw. Looks like he's a little scared to go into the corners and be physical (not that his physical play is great) like he normally does. If he doesn't turn it around in the next 10 games or so I think you need to consider dealing him and possibly yak for some defense and goaltender help. As much as I like Yak, there's just something off this year and he isn't fitting on this team right now. Arco has proven thus far he can be the #2 centre and actually throws his 5'8 body, and maybe resign hemsky for cheap if he's willing if you deal yak.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
As frustrated as I've been with all the losses, I will admit I'm happy to get a win.

...mostly because I made the GDT and hate when they lose games that I make the GDT for. Unfortunately though, they did follow my footsteps. Strong in the first two, then mailed in the 3rd. Next GDT I make, I will put in a full 3 period effort and hope it translates :P

Also, I hate losing. Period. GO OILERS!!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
And our other forwards aren't? Yak has been much better defensively since getting scratched and he didn't make any poor defensive plays against Florida.

Certainly nothing as bad as Hemsky's simply irresponsible play on Florida's 2nd goal that let them back in the game. Didn't see him miss a shift though.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I only watched half the game, but when I saw Yakupov I thought he looked really good. He was obviously trying to utilize his teammates, and made a few solid passes in the offensive zone that lead to scoring opportunities.

As others have said, it's pretty obvious he's being treated with another set of rules than other players on the team.

They managed to take our best offensive player at the end of last year and make him scared to make a play or take a shot. Excellent job Eakins.

Also, it has been a while since Ive seen a win that ugly. Dubnyk should retire. As others said back when I supported him, he's automatic for a softy every single game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I only saw the 2nd period. But he sucked in the 2nd. Why MacT resigned him when he was at his all time high for trade bait I will never know. Huge and stupid mistake of a GM blinded by a Pisani-ish view of a short term sample size. (1/2 season and a MacT as a new GM)

Gagner is market value for a young forward who puts up 40-50 points a year.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Dubnyk might just be the worst goalie in the league. Put me in the same boat as the guys that don't give a rats ass that we won. This team is a pathetic joke.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pretty sad that Dubnyk went down before the puck was even shot by Upshall.

Jul 19, 2012
Gagner is market value for a young forward who puts up 40-50 points a year.

Gagner is a defensive liability in a major way. Could care less what market value is. He should have been dealt in the off season or late in the year.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Dubnyk might just be the worst goalie in the league. Put me in the same boat as the guys that don't give a rats ass that we won. This team is a pathetic joke.

grammer nazi here; the team is pathetic...the joke, that this team is, is golden. laughed soooooo hard throughout this game. from dubnyks shock at making saves, to the panthers trying to be the oilers, to the oilers showing what makes them the leagues best worst team, to the announcers final cheers of jubilation at beating a horrible club...

if only more people knew about the best comedy on TV...Oilers hockey

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I said to myself, if the Oilers win I should drive over to Tampa on Thursday. The question is to boo or cheer? If they play like tonight, half-cheer?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I said to myself, if the Oilers win I should drive over to Tampa on Thursday. The question is to boo or cheer? If they play like tonight, half-cheer?

can you do either while laughing? I expect the laughter to come more naturally than any of the other options. I remember the washington game and everyone laughing. this team is HILARIOUS>... i got to work on my abs or these guys are gonna have me laughing so hard that i will belch out my innards. so funny i cant look away.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I didn't think it was possible, but Florida might just be a bigger slump-buster than we are.

The Panthers were so bad tonight that the Oilers should've walked away with it quite easily, and it almost looked like they were going to for a little while. The truly sad thing is that this win could've been a confidence boost that might've allowed them to loosen up and play better going forward, but the fact that they gave up a late two goal lead (I don't think any team gives up more goals than us when the other team has the goalie pulled) and needed a powerplay in OT to pull it out, it doesn't even give them a win they can feel good about.

Nobody went down with an injury, but despite that, this win still sorta feels like a loss.

Good on Fedun to get a goal in his first game and in playing a pretty good game overall. I was quite impressed with him tonight. Very smart player.

Yakupov just looks worse every game. I can't decide if he's thinking too much or not at all. He needs to relax or something because he looks like he's going to have an aneurism.

Jul 19, 2012
Watching a game in TB sounds awesome. I think the Bolts will completely dismantle the Oilers.

That said keep Schultz out and Larsen/Fedun in. Belov is out for a few games I think as well. I did like Fedun and Schultz.

Gawd I hope Gagner is dealt to the Rangers.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

He didn't mark Upshall on the first Florida goal. he also did a couple of fly-by's in the game.

I want Yakupov to succeed as much as anyone, but he costs the Oilers a goal against essentially every game he plays.

How Kreuger handled him last year was smart. Give Yak more time with leads when he shows that his defense is improving, and not before.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011

I will be deeply disappointed if I don't hear you yell "Oilers! YOU SUCK!!" at some point if they're planning their usual game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->