Oilers win 4-2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With the way the Pacific division has started this year there is reason for a small amount of optimism.

I used to think teams like Van, Anaheim, San Jose, and LA would fall while we rise... That is happening, just to a much smaller degree than I thought.

Some Eastern conference fans are already chalking up the Pacific division as the worst in the NHL. While statistically true the eye test disagrees strongly.

I now believe the Oilers will always be in tough to make the playoffs and the decline of other teams is mostly wishful thinking.

Too much parity. Way too much coaching and systems talent in the west. We are just not going to be a dominant team anytime soon or maybe ever.

Despite being 3 points out of the playoffs currently I don't see us making the playoffs this year. Even next year will be tough.

Other teams have games in hand and are coming on. Our next bit schedule wise is tough again and chalked full of tough opponents.

Honestly, before I personally would start thinking we have a real shot we would need to capitalize here in December and win damn near every game. If we turn this 3 game win streak into an 8 game, then I would start seriously thinking about playoffs.

For me, even this brief feeling of being in the playoff picture is a relief. Hopefully we can keep things respectable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think the Flyers are anything like the Canucks. Gostisbehere looks like a solid middle pair power play guy who could be a 50 point dman down the road, Sanheim and Provorov both have top pairing potential and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them turn into a #1 D, and then Morin who I'm not very high on still looks like he could be a Coburn replacement. I also really like Konecny and think he'll be a good 2nd liner at worst.

I think as long as Mason is playing well, and Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds are still around and playing at a high level, that team will be very good in 3 or 4 years, whereas the Canucks will be at the bottom of the league trying desperately to restock the cupboards.

The problem is the age gap between the Flyers best forwards and their best defencemen is just too big, IMO. Giroux is 27, Voracek 26, Simmonds 27. By the time that Ghost, Sanheim, and Provorov are ready to rumble, that forward trio will be in their early 30's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As someone with an intense phobia of being 'noticed', it takes everything in my power not to dart my eyes and keep respectable eye contact. He had a history of being bullied which could of have conditioned him to a fear reaction also.

My apologies then, did not know and I am sorry for commenting on it. It is then a nervous tic. I don't know how he is in person but very pronounced on camera. Feel sorry for the guy for that but he's certainly done well and risen up.

Does he speak out about bullying and anti-bullying initiaves at all. I missed any connection or news on that.

Thanks again for informing. Its nice to get some human element impacting the players from time to time. Increases the connection and empathy towards them. i'll have a hard time now critiquing his play. :D

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
With the way the Pacific division has started this year there is reason for a small amount of optimism.

I used to think teams like Van, Anaheim, San Jose, and LA would fall while we rise... That is happening, just to a much smaller degree than I thought.

Some Eastern conference fans are already chalking up the Pacific division as the worst in the NHL. While statistically true the eye test disagrees strongly.

I now believe the Oilers will always be in tough to make the playoffs and the decline of other teams is mostly wishful thinking.

Too much parity. Way too much coaching and systems talent in the west. We are just not going to be a dominant team anytime soon or maybe ever.

Despite being 3 points out of the playoffs currently I don't see us making the playoffs this year. Even next year will be tough.

Other teams have games in hand and are coming on. Our next bit schedule wise is tough again and chalked full of tough opponents.

Honestly, before I personally would start thinking we have a real shot we would need to capitalize here in December and win damn near every game. If we turn this 3 game win streak into an 8 game, then I would start seriously thinking about playoffs.

For me, even this brief feeling of being in the playoff picture is a relief. Hopefully we can keep things respectable.

I don't expect it this season, but there is tons of reason for optimism. We have a #1 centre who will more than likely be the best player in the league in a couple years, a #2 C who is perfect for western conference play who has shown amazing chemistry with a top 3 LW in the game. Nurse and Klefbom both look like they could be top pairing guys (albeit maybe not #1's), and theres some hope in net as well with how well Nilsson has been playing and how well Brossoit has been progressing. Thats a pretty damn good foundation of main pieces and we have several other valuable pieces as well, whether we choose to keep them or trade them.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
. only 4 goals in 26 games this year.
It's kinda crazy that Perron has more or less fallen off..

Purcell has been a nice surprise the past few weeks.
Its more like 5 goals in his last 50 nhl games his speed is not a fit for the east .

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The problem is the age gap between the Flyers best forwards and their best defencemen is just too big, IMO. Giroux is 27, Voracek 26, Simmonds 27. By the time that Ghost, Sanheim, and Provorov are ready to rumble, that forward trio will be in their early 30's.

Thats true, and that could be their downfall, but they might add a good forward in this draft and if Konecny develops well and Laughton can take the next step (don't think he will as I've always thought he was overrated) they might be pretty good for a few years.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
My apologies then, did not know and I am sorry for commenting on it. It is then a nervous tic. I don't know how he is in person but very pronounced on camera. Feel sorry for the guy for that but he's certainly done well and risen up.

Does he speak out about bullying and anti-bullying initiaves at all. I missed any connection or news on that.

Thanks again for informing. Its nice to get some human element impacting the players from time to time. Increases the connection and empathy towards them. i'll have a hard time now critiquing his play. :D
I read it in an article about his trade to Tampa Bay. Mentioned he was bullied for his size before his growth spurt. His parents pushed him very hard (you know the hockey horror stories in that category.) One of his interviews he mentions picking up hockey to fit in.

I was Sherlocking at that time. There are many types of abuse that would cause a nervous tic like his.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I didn't know where to talk about this but Vlasic won't be travelling with the Sharks. So he's out for Wednesday.... But Couture is back for them... Pick your poison. Also they'll be playing on a back to back. Very winnable game.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I agree. It makes sense for them to trade one of sanheim/provorov for a mid-late 20s defender. They're not going to dissect that forward core.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I agree. It makes sense for them to trade one of sanheim/provorov for a mid-late 20s defender. They're not going to dissect that forward core.

Thing is, they've been trying to get those prime aged dmen, and it's just resulted in them paying over 8 million a year on Schenn and AMac. They've been every bit as bad as MacT at finding dmen.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I didn't know where to talk about this but Vlasic won't be travelling with the Sharks. So he's out for Wednesday.... But Couture is back for them... Pick your poison. Also they'll be playing on a back to back. Very winnable game.

Them not having Vlasic will be huge. When is/was Couture's first game back? Assuming he'll take a few games to get back to game speed. The back-to-back is also very helpful. Like you said, looks to be a winnable game. Will be interesting to see how the Oilers play it.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Couture usually plays pretty well against us. Just can't wait for the pre-game interview where Gene pumps all of our young guys' tires while talking to Couture, and provides a nice big chip for his shoulder.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Them not having Vlasic will be huge. When is/was Couture's first game back? Assuming he'll take a few games to get back to game speed. The back-to-back is also very helpful. Like you said, looks to be a winnable game. Will be interesting to see how the Oilers play it.

Agreed - And i'd also imagine there's a decent chance we'll get Stalock too, who's put up a cool .884 SV% on the year.

No Vlasic, Sharks on a B2B, and a struggling backup? Oilers would blow this game last year...and the one before that...and the one before that....and the one befo...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Bush league from the NHL :laugh: Just picturing Jujhar fist pumping by himself in his sweats eating toast this morning or something.

Good for him but kinda kills the magic of his first point.

I guess another way to look at it is that it's a pretty unique way to get your first point :) A nice story to tell.

Just hope he got a puck from that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad