Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-1

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
What was said? I missed that

He was just talking about how Oil fans are upset, but don't worry it's not going to be a common occurence this year. But how he said it with a big **** grin on his face and how he really re-enforced the point really made me wonder if something is up.

Granted it could just be 5 or 6 Rexall beers in Spector, it was something different.

Pretty much. Was discussing Fistrick and him being a scratch, and he mentioned that us fans don't have to worry since it won't be happening much in the future, then re-inforced it by saying basically 'trust me, don't worry, he'll be playing all the time soon'. At least that was the gist I got also, and it seemed more than the typical 'Fistrick is better so we'll see him play more', but that something was up...

And I was only on my first glass of wine :D

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Nail was downright scary in the defensive zone last night. Right from the start he was making turnovers and bad decisions with the puck. With how that line is struggling 5 on 5, I'm wondering how much longer Krueger will keep them together.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Nail was downright scary in the defensive zone last night. Right from the start he was making turnovers and bad decisions with the puck. With how that line is struggling 5 on 5, I'm wondering how much longer Krueger will keep them together.

I don't blame that on Nail at all.

Yak just needs to realize what he can and cannot do in the NHL. It has nothing to do with systemic defensive problems.

His line mates hold him down. Gagner can't set up a play. I saw Nail in front of the net one shift and I'm like WTF? Isn't this guys strength the one timer from the circle?

If anything I want Gagner in front of the net and have Hemsky looking to set up Nail.
Hemsky and Nail don't seem to have much chemistry yet.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I would argue that dumping Whitney and sticking with Potter and Fistric is a better option than Whitney plus Potter being swapped with Fistric only 2 out of every 5 games. If Whitney being here guarantees Fistric does not play every game, then he should be moved.

I only see that as a plus if it's to pave the way for an upgrade in the top 4 using Whitney's money. Fistric-Potter is not a playoff team pairing.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Yak just needs to realize what he can and cannot do in the NHL. It has nothing to do with systemic defensive problems.

Kid should know that throwing 80 foot passes across the ice in the high offensive zone is unacceptable at any level. I reckon he's trying a bit too hard and forgetting the basics.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

His line mates hold him down. Gagner can't set up a play. I saw Nail in front of the net one shift and I'm like WTF? Isn't this guys strength the one timer from the circle?

If anything I want Gagner in front of the net and have Hemsky looking to set up Nail.

Nail with a soft 9 foot pass that only had enough speed to go 6 feet at our own blueline is nobodies fault except his own.

I'm not too concerned as he's a rookie, but the defensive zone turnovers have to go. Offensive zone I could live with for this year.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I only see that as a plus if it's to pave the way for an upgrade in the top 4 using Whitney's money. Fistric-Potter is not a playoff team pairing.

Yeah and neither is Whitney-Potter so why not be harder to play against as we figure out how to get a playoff pairing.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
He was just talking about how Oil fans are upset, but don't worry it's not going to be a common occurence this year. But how he said it with a big **** grin on his face and how he really re-enforced the point really made me wonder if something is up.

Granted it could just be 5 or 6 Rexall beers in Spector, it was something different.

Thanks. that is very interesting. I sure hope it's that rumoured deal of Potter + pick/prospect for Bishop.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Hemsky is going well for himself, but he's such a black hole, if he doesn't instantly click with someone it's curtains.

I'd really like to see

Hall Gagner Eberle
Hartikanen RNH Yakupov
Smyth Horcoff Hemsky
MPS Belanger Jones (when healthy)

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Yakupov just needs to calm down a little bit. One thing he constantly does is skates the puck back deeper into his zone when he is being pressured by the pinching dman.

I like that he wants to maintain possession of the puck but I think he would benefit from just chipping it out and playing a simple North/South game while he gets his feet wet.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Rexall has sounded like a morgue lately. In the late 90s (and of course the 2006 cup run) we were known as possibly the loudest building in hockey. Gigantic ticket prices are partly to blame, but it's not like we are watching the Oilers team from 2-3 years ago here. Come on Edmonton!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rexall has sounded like a morgue lately. In the late 90s (and of course the 2006 cup run) we were known as possibly the loudest building in hockey. Gigantic ticket prices are partly to blame, but it's not like we are watching the Oilers team from 2-3 years ago here. Come on Edmonton!

Pretty much what happens when corporations are the ones scooping tickets up.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
My dad has told me a thousand times that the Coliseum was relatively quiet in the 80's as well. The crowd only went nuts during the playoffs or when somebody did something spectacular/broke a record.

Regardless, the overall atmosphere still eclipses the Saddledome and Rogers Arena.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No way.

Whitney deserves a longer look because he has had success in the past.

Potter can go.

That's the philosophy Tambo and Lowe have been famous for.

Sit on an asset until their value depreciates to nothing.

It's time to move him while you still can.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Have you even been watching the games this year?:shakehead

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That's the philosophy Tambo and Lowe have been famous for.

Sit on an asset until their value depreciates to nothing.

It's time to move him while you still can.

How is a backup goalie good value for Whitney? He's a dman with size and previous success. Some GM will think of him as a reclamation project. Whitney for Bishop would be a large overpayment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How is a backup goalie good value for Whitney? He's a dman with size and previous success. Some GM will think of him as a reclamation project. Whitney for Bishop would be a large overpayment.

And some GM's will view Bishop as a backup with starter potential in the future. Not sure Whitney has a whole lot of value, definetely not a 2nd rounder at this time.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I think Yak will learn quickly and stop the turn overs. I'd be worried if he wasn't sharing the spot light with so many others.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

A back-up goalie is better than nothing.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Smackdaddy;

Re: Yakupov. I love the kid, think he's going to be great, but let's just say there's a reason Ralph had him on the bench in the third when Colorado was really pressing us trying to tie it up. He needs some time to learn the d zone side of the game - the same as Hall and Eberle when they were rooks. A few times he tried something flashy or complicated when all that was required was a chip out and forecheck.

That said, he's a 19 year old rookie with a whopping 5 NHL games under his belt. Don't read to much into it. And don't slag that lines lack of 5on5 production on Gagner, if it wasn't for 89's hard work Yak never would have had that empty net gift.

Gagner has easily been one of our best forwards so far this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad