Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-1

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That was a solid game by Paajarvi and Harski, I said before the game that IMO Smyth and Horc were getting demoted and that Paajarvi-Belanger-Harski were being promoted.

ES icetime from last night:

Belanger 12:28
Paajarvi 10:21
Hartikainen 9:08

Smyth 10:36
Horcoff 9:23
Petrell 8:24

Now keep in mind that Smyth took at least a shift or two with Paajarvi and Belanger after PP's expired since Harski was on the 2nd unit and IMO that is exactly how it played out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Keep Gagner on the 2nd line but get him some size on one of his wings. I like the Harski/Paajarvi combo for now so we likely need to look outside of the organization for said player. Either we'll need to get some size for his wing or we'll need to replace him with a bigger/harder to play against 2C. Whatever the case I hope that we don't dump him and think that Hemsky is a long term solution for this club. Either upgrade on both or at least upgrade on Hemsky.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That was a solid game by Paajarvi and Harski, I said before the game that IMO Smyth and Horc were getting demoted and that Paajarvi-Belanger-Harski were being promoted.

Now keep in mind that Smyth took at least a shift or two with Paajarvi and Belanger after PP's expired since Harski was on the 2nd unit and IMO that is exactly how it played out.
Finally! Not All your minutes are belong to Horcoff

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Finally! Not All your minutes are belong to Horcoff

Agreed, and guess what? The Horcoff line had their best offensive shift in who knows how long last night, likely due to the fact that they were being played how much they should be being played. My only issue is that if the Belanger line becomes our 3rd then we need more toughness on our 4th. Petrell is not getting it done.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I've defended Hemsky over the years, but it's becoming more and more obvious even to me that his time here is all but done.

Just recently I read a post by somebody on this board saying how Hemsky is the same player now that he was back in his 2nd/3rd season...

and that is very true, he is still making the same dumb mistakes that lead to turnovers, that put his linemates in bad situations...he still has the ability to do something otherworldly with the puck, but when you weigh pros/cons and look at the cap space Oil will need, its time to trade him this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've defended Hemsky over the years, but it's becoming more and more obvious even to me that his time here is all but done.

Just recently I read a post by somebody on this board saying how Hemsky is the same player now that he was back in his 2nd/3rd season...

and that is very true, he is still making the same dumb mistakes that lead to turnovers, that put his linemates in bad situations...he still has the ability to do something otherworldly with the puck, but when you weigh pros/cons and look at the cap space Oil will need, its time to trade him this year.

Let's say that we are in a dogfight for the 8th spot at the deadline, do you move Hemsky and Whitney for futures? Do we roll with something like:

Kid line
Harski-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Belanger-Paajarvi
Smyth-Horcoff-Eager (if he's healthy)

Smid-Petry
Schultz'
Fistric-Potter

IMO we'd miss Hemsky's offensive contributions a bit, but if Nail gets going as does Harski at that point we might be able to pull it off. As for Whitney dealing him would be addition by subtraction IMO.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Let's say that we are in a dogfight for the 8th spot at the deadline, do you move Hemsky and Whitney for futures? Do we roll with something like:

Kid line
Harski-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Belanger-Paajarvi
Smyth-Horcoff-Eager (if he's healthy)

Smid-Petry
Schultz'
Fistric-Potter

IMO we'd miss Hemsky's offensive contributions a bit, but if Nail gets going as does Harski at that point we might be able to pull it off. As for Whitney dealing him would be addition by subtraction IMO.

I think they should trade him even if fighting for a playoff spot. Something tells me that there will be plenty of forwards available this trade deadline so the value may no be there, but if even a decent offer is made, then they have to do it.

I still think goaltending is a huge hole on this team and have serious doubts that Dubnyk is the guy to backstop the Oilers to playoff wins. Perhaps expand the package and see if Columbus might be willing to part with a goalie.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think they should trade him even if fighting for a playoff spot. Something tells me that there will be plenty of forwards available this trade deadline so the value may no be there, but if even a decent offer is made, then they have to do it.

I still think goaltending is a huge hole on this team and have serious doubts that Dubnyk is the guy to backstop the Oilers to playoff wins. Perhaps expand the package and see if Columbus might be willing to part with a goalie.

The BJs don't have anyone who would be an upgrade on Dubnyk.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I was thinking about Steve Mason. Granted his play has been on the decline, but I think in his case, he just needs to get out of Columbus.

He has some very solid seasons behind him, including a 33 win season, and he is 2 years younger than Dubnyk. His value is probably at an all time low right about now since they acquired Bobrovsky.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Man I love our PP, its so damn exciting to watch all these skilled players pass it all around the ice. Opposing teams can't just focus on RNH anymore, now they have to worry about J.SChultz at the point and Eberle on the other side as well. Just like last night, I think the Oilers PP will win them some games this year.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Yeah, I think it's time to try a Gagner <-> RNH swap.

NO. WAY.

The way the top line is playing right now, you don't touch them. The 3 of them are in the zone right now. They're not potting as many as you'd like but every single time they get on the ice, they threaten. Dominance is inevitable.

You fix your 2nd line problems using whatever pieces you have available to you that aren't on what I think is one of the best lines in the NHL this year.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Keep Gagner on the 2nd line but get him some size on one of his wings. I like the Harski/Paajarvi combo for now so we likely need to look outside of the organization for said player. Either we'll need to get some size for his wing or we'll need to replace him with a bigger/harder to play against 2C. Whatever the case I hope that we don't dump him and think that Hemsky is a long term solution for this club. Either upgrade on both or at least upgrade on Hemsky.

How good would Shane Doan look on this hockey club right now, instead of Smyth?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
NO. WAY.

The way the top line is playing right now, you don't touch them. The 3 of them are in the zone right now. They're not potting as many as you'd like but every single time they get on the ice, they threaten. Dominance is inevitable.

You fix your 2nd line problems using whatever pieces you have available to you that aren't on what I think is one of the best lines in the NHL this year.

Meh, I think the top line's play in the last game had a lot more to do with Hall and Eberle than it did RNH.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
NO. WAY.

Yeah I agree.

Except I think Gagner with Hall and Eberle would still be excellent and RNH would help Yakupov.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Without a doubt the best game I've seen from Paajarvi since his rookie year. Still some tentative in his game on several rushes but at least some of the time bringing it into dangerous areas now. Suddenly the game might become some fun for him again and I think he needs that. he felt good about himself yesterday and that was evident when he gave Principe the stickwork in the postgame interviews. You like to see a player like this laughing because I think he can get really down on himself confidence wise.

As far as Harti, you just have to feed this guy minutes and clear instructions and theres definite value in his play. Its funny but when he's controlling the puck it reminds me of the few times Laroque would do that and play keep away. Except Harti is actually more able to take it to dangerous areas and do something with the biscuit when he hits the spots. Some great play banging on the Hemsky goal. Note the much improved Gagner shot from the point that handcuffed is what created the whole play. Gagner with two long range shots in succession (seconds apart) that were both difficult saves and contributed to juicy rebounds.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah I agree.

Except I think Gagner with Hall and Eberle would still be excellent and RNH would help Yakupov.

Yakupov is benefitting from Gagner's experience. Gagner knows some things about all round play whereas RNH isn't there yet. It would unfair for Hopkins to have the Rookie on his line.

I think we're fine as we stand and need more time and keep rolling it. The lines as it stands have some good complementing ingredients.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Really liked Harti and Prv together.

Sure was odd how Spector said don't worry Oiler fans this is something that isn't going to happen that much more.

I agree - they were excellent last night! And the Spector comments were really... interesting...

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Yakupov is benefitting from Gagner's experience. Gagner knows some things about all round play whereas RNH isn't there yet. It would unfair for Hopkins to have the Rookie on his line.

I think we're fine as we stand and need more time and keep rolling it. The lines as it stands have some good complementing ingredients.

Oh I think Gagner is doing a bang up job on that line, no fault to him at all -and he may be a more complete player than RNH at this point, though I'm not sold on that.

I just think RNH would be better at finding/getting Yakupov into areas to unleash that howitzer of a cannon of a shot.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh I think Gagner is doing a bang up job on that line, no fault to him at all -and he may be a more complete player than RNH at this point, though I'm not sold on that.

I just think RNH would be better at finding/getting Yakupov into areas to unleash that howitzer of a cannon of a shot.

We're on the same page, you're talking future, I'm talking present. Ultimately the bolded is where it should settle. For now the Gagner line is the better arrangement until Yak and RNH season some more.

No doubt RNH can make passes on this club that nobody else makes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What was said? I missed that

He was just talking about how Oil fans are upset, but don't worry it's not going to be a common occurence this year. But how he said it with a big **** grin on his face and how he really re-enforced the point really made me wonder if something is up.

Granted it could just be 5 or 6 Rexall beers in Spector, it was something different.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Well didn't we have somebody come on here recently and say that the team is definitely moving Whitney at the deadline?

It makes sense to rotate Potter and Fistric if Whitney is the one they're showcasing. Then Potter and Fistric will become the bottom pairing right away and neither of them will be too rusty.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well didn't we have somebody come on here recently and say that the team is definitely moving Whitney at the deadline?

It makes sense to rotate Potter and Fistric if Whitney is the one they're showcasing. Then Potter and Fistric will become the bottom pairing right away and neither of them will be too rusty.

I honestly don't know how someone can say we are definitely moving Whitney at the deadline. Way too much can happen between now and then.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

What kind of return would we possibly get for a broken down Whitney? The only hope of getting value back for him at this point is finding someone who hasn't seen him play in three years.

But the sad thing is, even as horrible as he's been, there's still no one else to take his spot. We are a good full season away from any of the kids in the pipeline being ready to step in.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
What kind of return would we possibly get for a broken down Whitney? The only hope of getting value back for him at this point is finding someone who hasn't seen him play in three years.

But the sad thing is, even as horrible as he's been, there's still no one else to take his spot. We are a good full season away from any of the kids in the pipeline being ready to step in.

I would argue that dumping Whitney and sticking with Potter and Fistric is a better option than Whitney plus Potter being swapped with Fistric only 2 out of every 5 games. If Whitney being here guarantees Fistric does not play every game, then he should be moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad