Confirmed with Link: Oilers will be giving up third round pick in Lucic/Neal swap

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So.....the NHL is awarding the 3rd round pick to the Flames because they are extrapolating their goal totals and using that as a basis of settlement.

The Oilers finished in the playoffs by extrapolating their win percentage and place in standings. The Hawks would have finished out of the playoffs by the same measurements. Since the league has no problem with the Lucic/Neal trade by extrapolating their goal totals, why are we playing the Hawks to get into the playoffs?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's time people get over it is a perfect phrase for this situation as well. It's the difference between a third and fourth round pick when Oilers fans would have been fine with an unconditional third being part of the original trade.
It would have been fine if Neal actually DID score 21 goals. Not one person on here would have complained. But he didn't.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
After the qualifying round is over just say that those stats don't count as playoffs stats but regular season stats now. Draisaitl still wins the Ross, Ovi hits 50 and Mcdavid hits 100 points. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL did this since they just make up rules and conditions now.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I’m probably alone in this, but I feel Neal’s 3rd period performance last night was worth the 3rd round pick.

You know if the league decided to include the stats from the play in for him and Lucic I would have thought that was a fair compromise. Instead they just assumed he would of scored goals he didn't and that's bogus. It's not that the trade is suddenly bad it's that the ruling is arbitrary and ridiculous. It was nice to see even the main boards thought it was bizarre.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You know if the league decided to include the stats from the play in for him and Lucic I would have thought that was a fair compromise. Instead they just assumed he would of scored goals he didn't and that's bogus. It's not that the trade is suddenly bad it's that the ruling is arbitrary and ridiculous. It was nice to see even the main boards thought it was bizarre.
That compromise is what I wanted. The trade compensation was all messed up by covid.

But it's just a little disheartening as an Oiler fan. Maybe it is a coincidence, but why is it against us always? So few teams are affected that they could throw us a bone.

"GM and coach compensation? Don't you know the letter of the law? The paper says this! You have to pay!"

"Neal trade compensation? Don't you know the 'spirit' of the condition? You can't go by letter of the law all the time! You have to pay!"

But I'm ready to drop this. Downgrading a 4th isn't the worst thing.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So.....the NHL is awarding the 3rd round pick to the Flames because they are extrapolating their goal totals and using that as a basis of settlement.

The Oilers finished in the playoffs by extrapolating their win percentage and place in standings. The Hawks would have finished out of the playoffs by the same measurements. Since the league has no problem with the Lucic/Neal trade by extrapolating their goal totals, why are we playing the Hawks to get into the playoffs?

This. Although I have no issue giving up a 3rd to get rid of Lucic. Hell, the way Neal & Lucic have played this year (polar opposites), I wouldnt have had an issue giving up a first

Rare to see such a robbery in a trade with the Oilers on the taking end. Treliving is a moron, and you love to see it

Reactions: TB12

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The decisions makes zero sense but what's new. Hopefully Neal can lift a cup over his head this fall and smile right into the camera while he does so, mouthing the words "Third round pick"

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

A nice read. Makes me like Neal more and appreciate his veteran leadership

Guy has went to the finals (or long runs) with Nashville, Pitt, and Vegas. He does bring a wealth of experience and vet leadership. The biggest thing is that hes willing to accept different roles. For Lucic, once he signed his big ticket, he wanted a top 6 skill position or hed pout and float

Neal is the guy we were hoping to get when we signed Lucic in 2015.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McDavid taking it easy on NHLers at 16 years old because he didn’t want to embarrass them is the most Connor thing I’ve ever heard. That would have been the summer of 2013. So Connor was showing up Neal who had 61 goals in his last 120 games

Yeah, this was the best story. Such a "McDavid story", where he was already better than NHL all-stars at age 16, but didn't want to show them up, lol. Just a ridiculous talent, and we should always remember how lucky we are to cheer for him every game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, this was the best story. Such a "McDavid story", where he was already better than NHL all-stars at age 16, but didn't want to show them up, lol. Just a ridiculous talent, and we should always remember how lucky we are to cheer for him every game.
Such a good leader.

Always gives his teammates praise over himself.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Plot twist: after 2 playoff games J. Neal is leading the team in +/- category with +3. That's the guy with the worst +/- during the regular season with -20.
Lot's of potential games to go though. 2 games is a pretty small sample size.:)

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017
Anybody just randomly think about this and how the league screwed us over with these random assumptions to the trade conditions and just get angry? Or is it just me? lol

Reactions: Panda Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad