Confirmed with Link: Oilers will be giving up third round pick in Lucic/Neal swap

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Could have avoided problems and allowed Edmonton to prepare to host —- instead, it has been reported that Toronto began preparations early while Edmonton was only informed they would be a host at the last minute and had to scramble, despite being the clear and obvious choice from the beginning

Clear and obvious to some Oilers fans maybe? Every indication is Vegas was under serious consideration for a long time as the western hub.

From a health perspective, In the beginning there were only 2 viable places (Ontario had bad numbers initially)

No. Nevada's numbers weren't that bad in the initial stages.

So they get no credit here IMHO.

That's the exact problem I am pointing out. When the NHL that makes a decision beneficial to the Oilers certain fans will give the league no credit but will howl like a banshee when a different NHL decision doesn't go the Oilers way.

Now, the only way you can say that the Connor McDavid lottery was the league being nice to us is if you are assuming the lottery is a totally illegitimate farce, .

That's a textbook decision of gaslighting. Your claim for my assumption is ridiculous I am saying the league does not play favourites. It didn't play favourites in the McDavid lottery. It didn't play favourites in the points percentage decision for playoff seeding and it didn't play favourites with the Lucic ruling.

We were heavily victimized in the goal reviews, interference and blue line, etc.

Victimized? That's the dramatic language that needs to come to an end.

it is probably a cultural thing —- “everybody knows Edmonton is a safe market, we have to protect nascent franchises whose business situations are precarious,

I don't think anyone in the league believes the Flames need to be protected.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Doesn't this pick belong to Chicago after the Gustaffson trade at the TDL?

It says Chicago gets the better of the 2 3rd round picks so I think they get Calgary’s. But I could be misreading that.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It says Chicago gets the better of the 2 3rd round picks so I think they get Calgary’s. But I could be misreading that.

The Oilers still have the choice of this year's third or next year's third going to the Flames. Plus the Oilers don't have to announce which pick they are giving up to the Flames until it is their turn to make their third round pick in the 2020 draft.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Who cares! I would still make that trade all day long even if their production was equal.
No amnesty buy out and its going to cost the Flames huge to get Seattle or another team to take on that dead whale of a contract with a flat cap for the foreseeable future.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Have they prorated any other stats or trade conditions across the league? Or just this one in specific?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Was pissed when I heard the news last night. Decided to go to sleep, thinking maybe it would dissipate. Nope, still pissed off. Hockey is a great game, but the NHL makes my blood boil sometimes.
It's a business where certain franchises will always get screwed more than others. Schill daily and gang will persevere for the needy teams.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There’s zero basis for us having to give up the pick. There were conditions, and they weren’t met. If we want to be generous, there was a really simple compromise. Carry the condition over to next season. But no, let’s just make things up for the hell of it

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I doubt there will be any appeal. Whoever would hear the appeal is probably the same person (or in the same group of people) that have already heard all the arguments presented by both teams.

Unless you want to go to CAS, but I doubt Holland wants to piss off the league by "wasting" time and resources to that extent over a 3rd round pick.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Bad call by the league. Cant help but think because we got the hub games, calgary got something to keep them happy.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Would the game be less entertaining if they just flat out said....."we interpret the rules depending on the market to try to keep league stability and growth....and because there is inherit bias that we are ok with so long as it doesnt interfere with said stability or growth"

Reactions: RattsSSV

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Would the game be less entertaining if they just flat out said....."we interpret the rules depending on the market to try to keep league stability and growth....and because there is inherit bias that we are ok with so long as it doesnt interfere with said stability or growth"
Perfectly said....

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Kurt is a dbag and a terrible writer. I'm not agreeing with his que sera sera.

I do think people are getting a little too into the conspiracy theories with the league having it out for the Oilers is a bit much. Things have worked out for the Oilers and gone against the Oilers.

We won the freaking Connor McDavid draft lottery. Edmonton was selected as a hub city which is another huge bonus.

The McLellan and Chia draft picks were absolutely, 100% bullsh*t. Yes, the decision to go with points percentage didn't go Edmonton's way but that was honestly the fairest decision given the situation.

Gripe about the decision about the third but I'm ok with it for this reason. Would you have liked the trade if it was a third going to the Flames instead of a conditional third?

The lottery isn't the leagues decision. It's random.

The hub city does nothing for us as fans or the team in terms of winning. We were selected because of infrastructure and low Covid cases. The weren't doing us a solid.

You're right we did get f***ed on the McLennan and Chia picks. It wouldn't have been hard to rule that the spirit of the rule didn't apply to fired personal or award compensatory picks back, but they didn't. They chose to f*** us.

Winning the trade either way isn't the point. The league arbitrarily changed the rules in a single instance to f*** us, and only us, again. Lucic could have easily scored 3 and Neal none, the conditions were still up in the air.

This is now a 2nd and two 3rds they stole from us, that can net a good player or end up a strong prospect. Yet they gave f***ing Lou his pick back. let LA weasel out of Richards, and have IMO allowed an obvious officiating bias against the Oilers. This league is run by morons. It's fair to want a level playing field when we're asked as fans to put passion into the product.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The lottery isn't the leagues decision. It's random.

The hub city does nothing for us as fans or the team in terms of winning. We were selected because of infrastructure and low Covid cases. The weren't doing us a solid.

You're right we did get f***ed on the McLennan and Chia picks. It wouldn't have been hard to rule that the spirit of the rule didn't apply to fired personal or award compensatory picks back, but they didn't. They chose to f*** us.

Winning the trade either way isn't the point. The league arbitrarily changed the rules in a single instance to f*** us, and only us, again. Lucic could have easily scored 3 and Neal none, the conditions were still up in the air.
This is now a 2nd and two 3rds they stole from us, that can net a good player or end up a strong prospect. Yet they gave f***ing Lou his pick back. let LA weasel out of Richards, and have IMO allowed an obvious officiating bias against the Oilers. This league is run by morons. It's fair to want a level playing field when we're asked as fans to put passion into the product.
They essentially did rule that the spirit of the rule did not apply to fired coaches/gm's. They just decided the relief would not apply to the Oilers.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Have they prorated any other stats or trade conditions across the league? Or just this one in specific?
they set a precedent of prorating stats when it came to bonuses, so this was inevitable imo.

It's not so silly now that I suggested that we negotiate the condition to be for playoff production, is it? I remember some here were telling me I was some kind of traitor or something :D.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
they set a precedent of prorating stats when it came to bonuses, so this was inevitable imo.

It's not so silly now that I suggested that we negotiate the condition to be for playoff production, is it? I remember some here were telling me I was some kind of traitor or something :D.

Contract stipulates Neal score 21. He didn't. Thus, trade conditions not met. If Neal was hurt for rest of year and ended up with 20 goals, do you still compensate via this bullshit proration?

This sets a nasty precedence for future trades with conditions.

And yes, you're still a traitor for appeasing to Calgary.
Traitor

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Contract stipulates Neal score 21. He didn't. Thus, trade conditions not met. If Neal was hurt for rest of year and ended up with 20 goals, do you still compensate via this bullshit proration?

This sets a nasty precedence for future trades with conditions.

And yes, you're still a traitor for appeasing to Calgary.
Traitor
I don't care who the team we traded with was. I just wanted the spirit of the trade to be met, as in it was supposed to be a third if Neal was much better than Lucic.

And how am I a traitor when going your way has resulted in us giving up a third, when my way might have meant just a 4th? I just don't like pissing into the wind, is all. I figured the ruling would be against us.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
They were a goal away on either side from meeting the conditions for the draft pick

But yeah let’s take the juvenile new age life’s not fair everything should be handed to us route

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
This is f***ing bullshit! The season ended! The terms were not met, there's no f***ing way Calgary gets the pick. f*** you Bettman you greasy, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ing piece of f***ing slimy goat shit, eat a bag of f***ing deep fried donkey dicks, assf***.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
They essentially did rule that the spirit of the rule did not apply to fired coaches/gm's. They just decided the relief would not apply to the Oilers.

Yeah that's my point. After the Oilers lost their picks they decided to change it, as opposed to doing the right thing when Boston demanded compensation and telling them it didn't apply. It was obvious from the day the rule was made it was meant to provide compensation for executives who were still employed. The Oilers didn't even know it was a possibility when they made the hiring's because it was never discussed as being part of the rule. If the NHL felt they were in a pickle because they drafted a poorly worded rule the right thing to do would have been to amend it and offer Boston and San Jose compensatory picks at the end of each round. But clearly the NHL doesn't give a shit about wording as evidenced by this debacle so I don't see why they couldn't of told them to go suck a lemon like they have once again with the Oilers. The Oilers were screwed first by it then the league decided after other teams started getting f***ed to change it. It's clear that the league decided they'd rather piss off the Oilers than Boston and then after that San Jose said they'd like a pick too, because why the f*** not. All too often the NHL ends up looking bush league and it seems the Oilers are the most common the victims, hell we could go back to the 80's for examples.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad