GDT: Oilers vs Wings (Eye of the Tiger)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Breaking down of the Oilers vs Leafs is just painful to look at. These guys just don't get it and Eakins has to give them serious structure or this season will be just ugly.

Pics taken from: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...up-but-phil-kessel-liked-it-a-whole-lot-more/

Goal 1:
tml-1st-goal1.png

Belov pinches, Yak asleep at the wheel as usual as Kessel blows by him.

Goal 2:
tml-2nd-goal.png

Normally you don't want 4 of your guys behind the other team's net. Leafs shoulda gone 5 on 1 just for the lawls.

Goal 3:
tml-3rd-goal.png

Oilers play their typical defensive zone structure of 4 guys in a line out by the blueline, while the other team scores.

In conclusion:

images

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Has it been bad coaching, or do these players simply have low hockey IQ? Because other teams, even mediocre to bad ones seem to make simple plays, make things appear easier overall in general. It's very frustrating.

Petry - makes huge brain farts even if people like his game.
Smid - "less is more" from Bob Stauffer = Smid needs very specialized tasks or he melts
J. Schultz - small. Mike Green syndrome. forward playing D.
Belov - looks fairly mediocre defensively.
N. Schultz - trending downward very hard
Ference - a tweener 3 - 4 on a decent team

it's not a good crew and has many factors (some mentioned) on why theyre baddies.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Photographic evidence of what some of us have been talking about...

I can't see how you could opt not to blame coaching. We have been total chaos and ridiculousness.

As bad as we have been in the past, these ridiculous things have never happened with such frequency before. And people say Krueger's system was complicated or silly. God. Damn.

Virtually all of these players have shown the ability at one point or another to understand the game well enough not to make these types of mistakes. Something in the system is getting them to behave like this, OR there has been little/poor recognition of errors within the system and repairs have been ineffective.

Where the hell is Charlie Huddy? Tom Renney? MacT? Ralph Krueger? As much as Pat Quinn sucks, even he wouldn't have had us in this state of affairs. It only takes two eyeballs to recognize the problems here. I would have beaten players senseless for repeated mistakes (multiple times in a game, multiple games in a week) by this point.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton

I can't see how you could opt not to blame coaching. We have been total chaos and ridiculousness.

As bad as we have been in the past, these ridiculous things have never happened with such frequency before. And people say Krueger's system was complicated or silly. God. Damn.

Virtually all of these players have shown the ability at one point or another to understand the game well enough not to make these types of mistakes. Something in the system is getting them to behave like this, OR there has been little/poor recognition of errors within the system and repairs have been ineffective.

Where the hell is Charlie Huddy? Tom Renney? MacT? Ralph Krueger? As much as Pat Quinn sucks, even he wouldn't have had us in this state of affairs. It only takes two eyeballs to recognize the problems here. I would have beaten players senseless for repeated mistakes (multiple times in a game, multiple games in a week) by this point.

I agree with you that under Krueger, we didn't quite see this number of breakdowns. The last year Renney was here we did, and they were improved last year. This year they have regressed significantly.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
The thing about the Oilers the past few years is that they get to lean on injuries as an excuse as to why we are a bad team. We're a bad team with everyone in the lineup anyways. The only guy I think this team will actually miss is Perron. He brings something we haven't had but we still suck with him in the lineup. It's just a more entertaining game to watch with him out there.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The thing about the Oilers the past few years is that they get to lean on injuries as an excuse as to why we are a bad team. We're a bad team with everyone in the lineup anyways. The only guy I think this team will actually miss is Perron. He brings something we haven't had but we still suck with him in the lineup. It's just a more entertaining game to watch with him out there.

we haven't had a game with everyone in the lineup....you are incorrect.

so there's that?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
its sad that our line up still sucks and people here still think we'll get crushed even though there are 2 first overall picks playing, not to mention a #1 centre in RNH and a really good offensive player in Eberle...

I think this game will be close, I think they come out flying tonight

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Gordon with Arco and Hamilton? Why not attempt to make a checking line and feed Yak-Gagner soft minutes? I don't get Eakins.. Arco with nuge and ebs, while small, could hold possession and Gordon with nhl players might quell the gaa of other teams top lines

arco-nuge-ebs
jones-boyd-hemsky
yak-gagner-hamilton

It's not good when away coaches are getting favourable match-ups

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Wonder what the excuses are going to be tonight? That EDM has had 3 days off and they won't have their legs? Detroit played last night and I guarantee you, EDM will look like the team that played last night. :laugh:

I hope not, but obviously it's frustrating to watch this team.

Is this game seriously on at 8 because of the Leafs-Canucks game beforehand?

Wings fans get jobbed on that

It's on at the usual time for a Saturday night CBC game. EDM is playing at home, so you know automatically that it's going to be a later start time.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Gordon with Arco and Hamilton? Why not attempt to make a checking line and feed Yak-Gagner soft minutes? I don't get Eakins.. Arco with nuge and ebs, while small, could hold possession and Gordon with nhl players might quell the gaa of other teams top lines

arco-nuge-ebs
jones-boyd-hemsky
yak-gagner-hamilton

It's not good when away coaches are getting favourable match-ups

That Gagner/Yak line, ouch. Yak has been terrible and Gagner is still trying to find his form. It's going to take some time. That line is going to get stomped all night. Wouldn't surprise me if the team plays decent, hangs in there, but then sooner or later, that line will get lit up and that will be the game. Just watch. :(

its sad that our line up still sucks and people here still think we'll get crushed even though there are 2 first overall picks playing, not to mention a #1 centre in RNH and a really good offensive player in Eberle...

I think this game will be close, I think they come out flying tonight

They damn well better after 3 days off and getting shut out their last game. If they stand around like pylons and Detroit takes it to them, it won't be surprising though. They only ever wake up and start playing desperate hockey when they're losing.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
So is this game only on in Alberta? CBC here in Sask says Mon - Col

EDIT: Nevermind, the games on in Sask/West on CBC Manitoba/East is the Montreal game, just listed wrong

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
It's on at the usual time for a Saturday night CBC game. EDM is playing at home, so you know automatically that it's going to be a later start time.

you sound surprised that CBC wants the leafs to start at 5pm, every saturday 5pm is leafs nation game.

I know but it's just like wow Wings fans get screwed over big time because LEAFSLEAFSLEAFSLEAFS

Even Canucks fans to some degree with a 4pm start time. On a Saturday so not too bad but still.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013

Strong post

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
19lq.png

Last game, Gag's was back and Bachman was starting, after an amazing goaltending display..Had high hopes.........

Three days off, playing a back to back team....same result ...sorry to say..

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Do we know the real lineup yet? Lander just got sent down. Surprise return for someone maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->