Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Leafs Wednesday 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What is the standard for reporting faceoff percentage? All situations or just even strength?

For example, if it is mentioned during a game which faceoff stat would they be reporting?
All strengths I believe is the standard.

Occasionally they'll break it down to important faceoffs like D-zone, but normally all strengths.

Sometimes harder to win faceoffs on the PK as you have 1 less player available to jump in to get a winger win.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I wonder what happens if the Oilers at some point decide "meh Turris isn't cutting it at 3C" and drop him to 4C.

If they did that, they could put RNH as a 3C away from BOTH McDavid + Draisaitl (at 5v5 though, he still gets his PP time.)

In a contract year, I wonder/imagine how mad that would make Nuge's agent.

Neal-McDavid-Kassian
Kahun-Drai-Yamo
Ennis-RNH-Puljujarvi
Nygard-Turris-Archibald
I would actually love to see this. I want to see what he can do on his own.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
When Nurse, Larsson and Russell are all in the lineup at the same time, it really hurts our ability to move the puck.

We learned what happens when you take Bear out too - disaster.

I think that's where Bouchard is going to be a breath of fresh air when we deem him ready.

Feb 9, 2013
Is it worth trying something like:

Drai McDavid Neal
Kahun Nuge Yam
Ennis Turris Pulj

'We' have more depth than before, and can balance out lines better than before ... when last Drai was played with McDavid.

Just a thought ... seems an improved 3rd line, a capable top line, and maybe a good second line.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
RNH - Draisailt - Yamamoto
Kahun - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Ennis - Turris - Kassian
Chiasson - Shore - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
KoekKoek - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
This is the last preseason game in my mind. They need to bring it tonight and especially Friday. If they lose the next 2 imo the season may be in jeopardy.
Yes yes I know it would only be 6 games at that point but momentum is huge and in a season like this against limited teams so close, bouncing back will be very difficult. Especially since this team hasnt really had any injuries to important players yet either.

I understand your frustration, it is a shortened season and every game matters, but even if they lose the next 2, which i do expect to happen, they're definitely not done.

Dallas started the season 1-8 last season and Tampa Bay was out of out the playoff cut for months. Yet, not only did they make the cut, went all the way to the finals.

Tampa started the season in 2018-19 with the best start in franchise history and the best regular season record since Detroit 20+ years ago. Then got swept in the 1st round.

I like teams that struggle out of the gate, and peak later in the season, when it counts. I've never been so confident that this could be our season, or the prequel to a pending championship. McDavid and Drai are in their prime, its our time

Reactions: barry halls

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Is it worth trying something like:

Drai McDavid Neal
Kahun Nuge Yam
Ennis Turris Pulj

'We' have more depth than before, and can balance out lines better than before ... when last Drai was played with McDavid.

Just a thought ... seems an improved 3rd line, a capable top line, and maybe a good second line.
Id love to see this happen.

Oct 15, 2017
I think people have to face the facts Holland went big game hunting packing a sling shot for a cap. This year can go either way very easily if some of his short term bets don't pan.
Yes other teams improved (I think the markstrom signing would have had people groveling at Holland feet) like Montreal and Calgary and even Ottawa, some like Van, Winne and Toronto essentially stood Pat with their plans nibbling but they difference is they a had the Talent from Golaie to center to do so.

The Oilers are a different story. Holland is still saddled with previous gm major mistakes. Essentially Chiarelli set the McDavid era back 4years. Oilers missed out on those sexy picks in a Strong draft year that would be either the talent they are lacking in major areas, or pieces to move to acquire those foundation pieces. (They still hit in that draft late, but missed the filet mignon in rounds 1 and 2)

Instead Chia settled thinking McDavid was enough (he almost is) and tried to speed things up by signing players like Sekera and Russell making the god awful 1 for 1 trade, the Eberle Strome downgrade , and that folks is that.

We are stuck waiting for younger drafted kids (Bouchard,Broberg,Samorukov etc.) because of the McDavid year gap. They could have had 2 more star 24 year old pieces.

Holland is essentially waiting out all Chialrellis signings and mistakes to come off the books, and boy there is alot. Even having to pay that small amount to Lucic is jabbing him in the eye, and its under 1mill.

While I hope we get to see playoffs this year especially from what everyone has had to deal with back in that year that shall not be named , but I know next summer is going to be the summer of Connor and those big signings will come.

Or

They will f*** it all up by being the Oilers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Once Haas and Neal are ready:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Yamamoto
RNH-Turris-Neal
Kahun-Haas-Nygard
Puljujarvi-Shore-Kassian

Let's get f***ing strange.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Once Haas and Neal are ready:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Yamamoto
RNH-Turris-Neal
Kahun-Haas-Nygard
Puljujarvi-Shore-Kassian

Let's get f***ing strange.
I think a variation of that might work actually.

Let’s stick with DRY, since we know that (hopefully) works.

McDavid needs a shooter on his line, so throw Neal there. The only other player with some semblance of a skill game is Turris, so put him up there as well too. The other alternative is Nygard - I think McDavid & Nygard’s speed would look good on the same line.

Haas will end up with Kahun plus Jesse, establishing a European third line with Pulju being the primary puck carrier.

Shore is fine as 4c. Slot in Kassian or Archibald on 4RW for some bang and crash action and then throw in the last remaining player on the left.

When all is said and done, it should look a little something like this:

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard/Turris - McDavid - Neal
Kahun - Haas - Puljujarvi
Turris/Nygard - Shore - Kassian/Archibald

On defense, Nurse is probably our best LD, and he’s established chemistry with Bear so just reunite that pairing. Russell can stay with Barrie (Russell with Larsson would be a puck moving nightmare), and that leaves 4K and Larsson.

Nurse - Bear
Koekkoek - Larsson
Russell - Barrie

Goalies are Koskinen and who?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think a variation of that might work actually.

Let’s stick with DRY, since we know that (hopefully) works.

McDavid needs a shooter on his line, so throw Neal there. The only other player with some semblance of a skill game is Turris, so put him up there as well too. The other alternative is Nygard - I think McDavid & Nygard’s speed would look good on the same line.

Haas will end up with Kahun plus Jesse, establishing a European third line with Pulju being the primary puck carrier.

Shore is fine as 4c. Slot in Kassian or Archibald on 4RW for some bang and crash action and then throw in the last remaining player on the left.

When all is said and done, it should look a little something like this:

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard/Turris - McDavid - Neal
Kahun - Haas - Puljujarvi
Turris/Nygard - Shore - Kassian/Archibald

On defense, Nurse is probably our best LD, and he’s established chemistry with Bear so just reunite that pairing. Russell can stay with Barrie (Russell with Larsson would be a puck moving nightmare), and that leaves 4K and Larsson.

Nurse - Bear
Koekkoek - Larsson
Russell - Barrie

Goalies are Koskinen and who?

I like that but I’d swap Bouchard in at Larsson’s spot.

I know, I know, not going to happen

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I like that but I’d swap Bouchard in at Larsson’s spot.

I know, I know, not going to happen
Yea probably not, but maybe if Larsson’s back starts acting up again that could be an option. I do think footspeed would be a concern for that pairing if we did that though - I remember seeing Koekkoek get burned wide last game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

space321

May 11, 2011
I think people have to face the facts Holland went big game hunting packing a sling shot for a cap. This year can go either way very easily if some of his short term bets don't pan.
Yes other teams improved (I think the markstrom signing would have had people groveling at Holland feet) like Montreal and Calgary and even Ottawa, some like Van, Winne and Toronto essentially stood Pat with their plans nibbling but they difference is they a had the Talent from Golaie to center to do so.

The Oilers are a different story. Holland is still saddled with previous gm major mistakes. Essentially Chiarelli set the McDavid era back 4years. Oilers missed out on those sexy picks in a Strong draft year that would be either the talent they are lacking in major areas, or pieces to move to acquire those foundation pieces. (They still hit in that draft late, but missed the filet mignon in rounds 1 and 2)

Instead Chia settled thinking McDavid was enough (he almost is) and tried to speed things up by signing players like Sekera and Russell making the god awful 1 for 1 trade, the Eberle Strome downgrade , and that folks is that.

We are stuck waiting for younger drafted kids (Bouchard,Broberg,Samorukov etc.) because of the McDavid year gap. They could have had 2 more star 24 year old pieces.

Holland is essentially waiting out all Chialrellis signings and mistakes to come off the books, and boy there is alot. Even having to pay that small amount to Lucic is jabbing him in the eye, and its under 1mill.

While I hope we get to see playoffs this year especially from what everyone has had to deal with back in that year that shall not be named , but I know next summer is going to be the summer of Connor and those big signings will come.

Or

They will f*** it all up by being the Oilers

And yet he gave 3.2M to Kassian... he's making his own problems on top of Chiarelli's

Reactions: 29292929

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
At least they can't blame the fans this season. #oilerspositives

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Kassian is just coasting since he got extended. His play actually angers me the most.

I've lost alot of respect for Kassian ever since the pathetic play-in round. He was totally disinterested, just a ghost out there. That's what happens when you give that type of player a fat contract. There's no longer a carrot dangling in front of him to chase. They are a different breed and need to be treated differently. Holland of all ppl should have known that.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
I've always felt that size is hugely overrated in terms of screening. Tenacity and a quick stick is much more important. Modern goalies spend all their time in a crouch anyway.

Get Yamo in there.

No way do you want Yamo in front taking all those crosschecks and slashes. It's not just about being big to cause a screen, but also about having a player with good mitts in tight that can take punishment or you aren't afraid to lose for a few games. We can't afford that with him. He's already taken some big hits, I'll be really surprised if he doesn't get sidelined at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad