Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Bolts

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This will be a very tough game, especially without Klefbom and maybe Russell. We should see a new-look PP by then. Hitchcock hinted that the forwards will stay the same, but the defenseman will change (Jones?). He also mentioned that it is too static right now, and he'll try to add more movement and more of an attacking mindset to it.

I'll put up a GDT Saturday morning.

Wow, another GDT thread from you? Good work and much appreciated! (maybe avoid the poll assuming victory if you want to avoid angry screams of JINX!!! though :sarcasm:)

Reactions: bone

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Outside the year he had Hall as a winger he was substantially better than his wingers. He hasn't had a good opportunity since Hall left.
Not really an excuse for his personal play. If he is really as great as he is, he needs to elevate his wingers. Not calling him bad, just has been unsuccessful as a center.

Reactions: frag2

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Outside the year he had Hall as a winger he was substantially better than his wingers. He hasn't had a good opportunity since Hall left.
The whole point of a line driver is one that improves the quality of their linemates. If you need to play with Hart trophy winners to excel, well that's not enough to be considered successful at running your own line. He's had some decent stretches running his own line, but has been inconsistent doing so. I expect that to change at some point, but not sure when.

Or he may just be one of those guys that you need to switch things up every 15 games or so to re-engage them. History is full of great players who need to switch things up regularly to keep going.

Even in that season with Hall, they were lights out for the stretch that Connor was hurt, but dried up pretty significantly down the stretch. People blamed Hall for sulking (because Connor was better), but maybe there's something to Draisaitl needing regular change to stay engaged.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I love it. The willingness to break up identity to try and add scoring through the lineup is exceptional. But it isn't. That's just competent coaching.

I mean, given how common ranting about lineup choices is across the league, I think you should give Hitch more credit here. It isn't easy to keep making lines that seem to make sense, especially when you're weighing a ton of stuff the fans don't see at practice.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The whole point of a line driver is one that improves the quality of their linemates. If you need to play with Hart trophy winners to excel, well that's not enough to be considered successful at running your own line. He's had some decent stretches running his own line, but has been inconsistent doing so. I expect that to change at some point, but not sure when.

Or he may just be one of those guys that you need to switch things up every 15 games or so to re-engage them. History is full of great players who need to switch things up regularly to keep going.

Even in that season with Hall, they were lights out for the stretch that Connor was hurt, but dried up pretty significantly down the stretch. People blamed Hall for sulking (because Connor was better), but maybe there's something to Draisaitl needing regular change to stay engaged.

I don't disagree, but I don't want to write off Draisaitl until the Oilers have some top six wingers who can consistently play at that level. He's going to look worse than he is if his wingers aren't in a good position or fan on his passes or can't retrieve the puck.

I mean, given how common ranting about lineup choices is across the league, I think you should give Hitch more credit here. It isn't easy to keep making lines that seem to make sense, especially when you're weighing a ton of stuff the fans don't see at practice.

I meant it as a dig at our last coach more than an insult to Hitch.

Reactions: Aerrol and Duke74

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't disagree, but I don't want to write off Draisaitl until the Oilers have some top six wingers who can consistently play at that level. He's going to look worse than he is if his wingers aren't in a good position or fan on his passes or can't retrieve the puck.

Agreed, there's no need to write him off as he hasn't had many great linemates, but he does have to find a way to have success regardless of his linemates if he wants to be seen as elite.

I mean Hall was able to elevate games by Anton Lander and Andrew Miller. That's the sign of a line driver (sorry to bring Hall into the conversation just was an easy example of a guy elevating poor linemates).

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Agreed, there's no need to write him off as he hasn't had many great linemates, but he does have to find a way to have success regardless of his linemates if he wants to be seen as elite.

I mean Hall was able to elevate games by Anton Lander and Andrew Miller. That's the sign of a line driver (sorry to bring Hall into the conversation just was an easy example of a guy elevating poor linemates).

Fair enough. Can't argue these points.
Draisaitl's game does rely on others a bit more than Hall's.

I just want to see a Hornqvist type with Draisaitl. Then give him someone who just pulls the trigger with every opportunity.

Reactions: Oilhawks and bone

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Not sure it’s embedded but I really like the top 3 lines. Once Khaira is back my 4th line would be Spooner-Khaira-Zykov with Lucic, Rattie as the extra forwards.

I like that top 6. If the scoring isn't there though I'd swap the two LW and see if the second line clicks that way.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Not sure it’s embedded but I really like the top 3 lines. Once Khaira is back my 4th line would be Spooner-Khaira-Zykov with Lucic, Rattie as the extra forwards.

Interestingly Chiasson has as many points with Drai and Toby as he has had playing with Drai and Connor in about half the amount of time. This combo is Toby's most productive set of linemates by far and it's also Leon's most productive unit that doesn't include Connor and it's still somewhat close on a per minute played basis.

Hopefully that first line can still hum as this is likely our best version of a second line. Considering Nuge's most productive line was him with JJ and JP, you'd think substituting McDavid for Jujhar should yield positive results.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Interestingly Chiasson has as many points with Drai and Toby as he has had playing with Drai and Connor in about half the amount of time. This combo is Toby's most productive set of linemates by far and it's also Leon's most productive unit that doesn't include Connor and it's still somewhat close on a per minute played basis.

Hopefully that first line can still hum as this is likely our best version of a second line. Considering Nuge's most productive line was him with JJ and JP, you'd think substituting McDavid for Jujhar should yield positive results.

I am very excited to see these lines in action. Koskinen live is pretty exciting too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I don't even care if this fails or if they get blown out, this is something Todd would have never tried. Nice to see Puljujarvi get a real opportunity - not just 1 shift then McBlended. Rieder-Drai-Chia can be a deadly line with a lot of speed too especially if Drai gets some rest and plays to his abilities again. Khaira who fills in for him? Zykov needs another look, I've seen enough of Spooner.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->