Rumor: Oilers trying to trade dead weight?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bennings awful, no team should be looking at this guy other than as a #7 emergency. The pity is that despite being awful he is still better than the two guys the oilers went and got recently and gave up assets for.

Very little evidence of that outside of ‘Oiler fans hate everyone that’s not a superstar or a blue collar grinder’

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No, giving Lucic that contract was nuts.

It's buyout proof, NMC, 4 years left on it with a 6mil cap hit and a modified NTC that only kicks in 2021 when he'll be more washed up than he is right now. So if you want to get rid of that contract, get ready to pay through the nose.

Really, I think you're just piling on the Oilers. There is no chance in hell any team gives up an unprotected 1st AND their top RHD prospect just to dump a contract. To suggest so is kind of silly.

The Oilers will make room. They'll do it by turfing other contracts.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Are you implying that you believe you can trade Sekera and Ruusel in the offseason for assets??? lol

Russel might be traceable. Sekera isn’t unless he looks great when he comes back. If he does look good then you wouldn’t want to move him anyways. Russel is a decent Dman, he just isn’t worth 4 mil.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good question.

I think he’s an above average bottom pairing defenceman. He’s almost always performed well in that role. Where he gets into trouble is when he’s asked to do too much or play above that. He gets overwhelmed in his own zone and loses his confidence offensively.

People say he’s bad defensively, but to me it’s more that when he makes mistakes they’re the earth shattering variety. He doesn’t make many, though.

Average out his career totals, and he’s roughly a 20-24 point defenceman with decent to good advanced stats over with limited PP time and he’s never been worse than +5 on some pretty bad clubs. Heck he’s +8 right now.

I think some of the issue is at some point he started getting trotted out on the PK and he is ABYSMAL at it. He should be the PP2 guy, he’s got a hard, accurate shot that seems to make it through a lot. He’s much, much, much better than Petrovic.
Thanks for the comeback. I was thinking about taking him off your hands in a cap dump. But doesn't sound like he is hardly worth it

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I do not mind picking up RNH and Puljujarvi for the Flames. We need to help out our provincial brother.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hope the Flames win the Cup just to further embarrass Oilers management. They built a good team thru smart drafting, trades and signings. (minus Neil)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Trading for Manning is one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen in professional sports.

If you get really drunk and smash your head into the wall a few times, you can kind of see the logic Chiarelli was going by with most of his moves. We lack in RHD - overpay for a RHD. We need a 3C and to shed cap space - Eberle/Strome.

The two deals that made absolutely zero sense no matter how drunk or concussed you got were 16/33 for Reinhart and that Brandon Manning debacle. we have 3rd pairing LHD coming out of our ears, no cap space, and no forwards... better trade a young forward for a 3rd pair LHD making a ton of money. Boggles the mind. Even those that hate the Oilers felt sorry for us on that one.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
If you get really drunk and smash your head into the wall a few times, you can kind of see the logic Chiarelli was going by with most of his moves. We lack in RHD - overpay for a RHD. We need a 3C and to shed cap space - Eberle/Strome.

The two deals that made absolutely zero sense no matter how drunk or concussed you got were 16/33 for Reinhart and that Brandon Manning debacle. we have 3rd pairing LHD coming out of our ears, no cap space, and no forwards... better trade a young forward for a 3rd pair LHD making a ton of money. Boggles the mind. Even those that hate the Oilers felt sorry for us on that one.

You forgot to include that the overpaid LHD is also, pretty literally, the only player in the league that your new captain, franchise player, and one of the most elite players on the planet has had issues with and called classless.

Just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: h2owned

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
“We’re trying to get rid of some contracts that have term on them, but it’s hard,” Gretzky said. Source: Oilers' Keith Gretzky looking at multiple avenues to move contracts - Sportsnet.ca

I may be the only one, but hearing a GM say he's trying to "get rid of" players ('contracts' are a nicer way of saying 'players'), is pretty insulting. Tops it off by adding how difficult it is. Wow. Imagine if you're Kassian, Russell or Lucic (to name just a few) and hear that?

You can come back that the players have been terrible so they deserve that, but a coach calling out a player publicly for not competing is one thing, a GM saying he's actively trying to throw the player out like yesterday's trash is probably not going to motivate any of these guys to play harder.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
“We’re trying to get rid of some contracts that have term on them, but it’s hard,” Gretzky said. Source: Oilers' Keith Gretzky looking at multiple avenues to move contracts - Sportsnet.ca

I may be the only one, but hearing a GM say he's trying to "get rid of" players ('contracts' are a nicer way of saying 'players'), is pretty insulting. Tops it off by adding how difficult it is. Wow. Imagine if you're Kassian, Russell or Lucic (to name just a few) and hear that?

You can come back that the players have been terrible so they deserve that, but a coach calling out a player publicly for not competing is one thing, a GM saying he's actively trying to throw the player out like yesterday's trash is probably not going to motivate any of these guys to play harder.

This organization has tried absolutely everything to get Milan Lucic going. Everything. He got PP1 looks for a full 120 games, top six icetime, the best centres this team could offer, time, space, everything. If he’s miffed by KGretz’s wording, maybe he’ll play angry for a change instead of the declawed overweight kitty cat he brings 9 games out of 10.

Russell and Kassian don’t deserve that, agreed. I doubt he meant anything offensive by it, it’s just the reality we’re in.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Really, I think you're just piling on the Oilers. There is no chance in hell any team gives up an unprotected 1st AND their top RHD prospect just to dump a contract. To suggest so is kind of silly.

The Oilers will make room. They'll do it by turfing other contracts.
You're trying to dump players with bad contracts and term left on them. Why would anyone help you out for free? You're not trading McDavid, Nurse, Klefbom, etc.. no one is going to give up good assets in prospects and picks in exchange for your dumps to help you out.

Lucic has 4 years left on his contract and it's buyout proof, so any team that takes him is either stuck paying him to be useless on the roaster or is stuck with 6 mil dead cap space for the next 4 years and another 625k/year for another 4 years after that if they buy him out.

The only way you're moving bad contracts is for equally bad contracts, making it a lateral move at best.

Habs have cape space, yes. We'd take on a bad contract if the package coming with it is right, but Lucic's slumping play and his contract specifically is dead weight and for us to take him, that would be the asking price. So I'm not piling on the Oilers, and I wouldn't suggest the same package for other players. I'm specifically talking about Lucic.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Unbelievable how bad of a situation the Oilers are in. The best years of McDavid's career are wasted by terrible management... in what seems like an Edmonton tradition. The Oilers are years away from relief unless they sacrifice the next 2 years of draft picks in order to move bad deals. It's going to take them adding picks before teams are willing to take on some of these bad deals.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You're trying to dump players with bad contracts and term left on them. Why would anyone help you out for free? You're not trading McDavid, Nurse, Klefbom, etc.. no one is going to give up good assets in prospects and picks in exchange for your dumps to help you out.

Lucic has 4 years left on his contract and it's buyout proof, so any team that takes him is either stuck paying him to be useless on the roaster or is stuck with 6 mil dead cap space for the next 4 years and another 625k/year for another 4 years after that if they buy him out.

The only way you're moving bad contracts is for equally bad contracts, making it a lateral move at best.

Habs have cape space, yes. We'd take on a bad contract if the package coming with it is right, but Lucic's slumping play and his contract specifically is dead weight and for us to take him, that would be the asking price. So I'm not piling on the Oilers, and I wouldn't suggest the same package for other players. I'm specifically talking about Lucic.

Lucic also has a NMC.

T_T

He would veto a trade to the Habs.

We also have to protect him in the upcoming Seattle expansion draft.

:/

Not that I wish harm upon another human, but the only hope we have of offloading him, is if he gets LTIR, to trade him to a cap floor team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Unbelievable how bad of a situation the Oilers are in. The best years of McDavid's career are wasted by terrible management... in what seems like an Edmonton tradition. The Oilers are years away from relief unless they sacrifice the next 2 years of draft picks in order to move bad deals. It's going to take them adding picks before teams are willing to take on some of these bad deals.

It’s possible to survive and thrive with a couple bad contracts, even one as bad as Lucic. Problem is the Oilers have like seven of them and very little in terms of value deals outside of Klefbom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad