Rumor: Oilers trying to trade dead weight?

horner

May 22, 2007
chia gutted the team. what a stupid moron.
How management let this guy do so much damage is just wow.

Is Nicholson the right man to steer this ship and find a competent gm.

If I was him, I would see if Yzerman would be interested to be hired as a consultant to find the next gm.
They can't f*** up this one up.
And
They are not making the playoffs so strip it down grab as many picks as they can .
Give the next gm some amunition to build it right.
When they find out where they are drafting see what the best offer is for that pick .
That is one way they can upgrade there roster quick
Have a gm in place before the draft.

If they end up with the 1st overall pick.
Would you trade it for one of the RFAs this yr?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
How management let this guy do so much damage is just wow.

Is Nicholson the right man to steer this ship and find a competent gm.

If I was him, I would see if Yzerman would be interested to be hired as a consultant to find the next gm.
They can't **** up this one up.
And
They are not making the playoffs so strip it down grab as many picks as they can .
Give the next gm some amunition to build it right.
When they find out where they are drafting see what the best offer is for that pick .
That is one way they can upgrade there roster quick
Have a gm in place before the draft.

If they end up with the 1st overall pick.
Would you trade it for one of the RFAs this yr?

Why go searching?

Sounds like we have the next GM already. Wayne Gretzky's little brother Keith. Come on man this is the Oilers and the OBC.

No joking :help:

I really hope he can turn this around. He better, fans have completely lost faith in this team's upper management.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think their only chance is in bundling them with something workable, like:
  • Talbot + Lucic for a mid-forward from a team in desperate need of a goalie and some sandpaper (Arizona? Ducks?)
  • Puljujärvi + Manning for a decent 2nd pair D-man or a 2nd draft pick from a team looking to youngen up (LA? Boston?)
  • Petrovic + draft pick for a cheap back-up, which should be in abundance right now (PHI Stolarz? VGK Lagace?)

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The consensus 1/2 were Yakopuv or Murray. You must be new to hockey because how often has ANYBODY not taken a top-3 consensus player... look at the 2017 draft. Would you have NOT taken either Nico or Patrick 1/2 at the time? In hindsight the following players are better... but nobody is picking Miro or Elias #1 back then.

Not new to hockey and at the time the last thing that EDM needed was another winger regardless of who was considered what unless he was considered a generational talent which he certainly wasn’t.

While Murray has underwhelmed as a number 2 OA he could be comparable to Larsson which means they likely don’t need to trade Hall.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
  • Talbot + Lucic for a mid-forward from a team in desperate need of a goalie and some sandpaper (Arizona? Ducks?)
  • Puljujärvi + Manning for a decent 2nd pair D-man or a 2nd draft pick from a team looking to youngen up (LA? Boston?)
  • Petrovic + draft pick for a cheap back-up, which should be in abundance right now (PHI Stolarz? VGK Lagace?)

What else are you giving up for other teams to take on those contracts?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Chiasson +4th for Burakovsky (Chiasson value roughly a 3rd)
Kassian for Connor Brown
Rieder for a 6th
Petrovic/Benning for a 5th/6th
Talbot for a 5th

If extremely lucky
Manning for a 7th
Russel/Sekera for a 7th + a little cap back (2m max)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not new to hockey and at the time the last thing that EDM needed was another winger regardless of who was considered what unless he was considered a generational talent which he certainly wasn’t.

While Murray has underwhelmed as a number 2 OA he could be comparable to Larsson which means they likely don’t need to trade Hall.

That's fair. I do think Yakupov was a pretty clear #1 though in most scout's minds. Bobby Mac confirmed that at the time.

Sometimes you're gonna swing and miss even at #1OA. Oilers had some bad fortune and (obviously good fortune). 6 top 5 picks and ending up with: McDavid (Generational), Drai (franchise), Nuge (low end star), Larsson (dependable D), Pulju (question mark) and a 2nd rounder is ... not great, not horrible. It's better than what Ottawa did back in the day (Yashin, Bonk, Daigle, Phillips, Redden etc)... not as good as Pitts obviously.

And that's not including Nurse, Klefbom, Dubnyk and Ebs. Once you add in Puljarvi, you've got 12 first rounders and 10 years. 1 is generational, 7 are solid to star level NHLers (one of which was an MVP traded for a solid NHLer, ouch). Two are busts. 1 is a huge question mark, and one was traded for a bust (Reinhart).

It's what they've been doing other than the first round picks, and mostly what they've done in trade and FA that has handcuffed the next GM. It would be nice to have all of those assets on our team.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Chiasson +4th for Burakovsky (Chiasson value roughly a 3rd)
Kassian for Connor Brown
Rieder for a 6th
Petrovic/Benning for a 5th/6th
Talbot for a 5th

If extremely lucky
Manning for a 7th
Russel/Sekera for a 7th + a little cap back (2m max)

1. I'd see Chiasson going for a late 2nd. Low low cap hit and no term so he can fit on any cap limited team. 27 points in 46 games.
2. Kassian MIGHT return Connor Brown. Might also get a mid pick.
3. Ya, Rieder for probably no higher than a 4th, maybe as low as a 6th.
4. There is a big difference between Petrovic who can't get a steady spot in the line up and Benning. Benning goes for more than a 5th.
5. Talbot could get a 4th IMHO.

Manning won't go for jack. He'll get buried in the AHL.

Russell is worth way more than a 7th. AND cap coming back? That's nuts.
Sekera... well if he plays in the NHL again and it looks like he might, we will have to evaluate what he is. No idea what kind of player is left there.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Keep adding to each proposal because more is needed if anyone is going to the bad contracts, especially Lucic. It is going to cost Edmonton a lot to get someone to take him off their hands. As a jab fan, boy am I glad Chia convinced him to go to den.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Keep adding to each proposal because more is needed if anyone is going to take the bad contracts, especially Lucic. It is going to cost Edmonton a lot to get someone to take him off their hands. As a jab fan, boy am I glad Chia convinced him to go to edm

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Honestly Oilers fans... where do you even start this rebuild? So many guys on your team are unwanted contracts or just aren't worth enough to justify a trade... You might have to really move some foundation to fix this mess. Like keep McD and Klef but honestly EVERY piece should be up for grabs. Yes even Draisaitl because his return could help build the rest of the team. The other thing is you guys could finally draft well.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Edmonton was a ship, the way they'd get rid of dead weight would be to throw their propellers, rudder, anchor, navigation system and life boats into the water first.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1. I'd see Chiasson going for a late 2nd. Low low cap hit and no term so he can fit on any cap limited team. 27 points in 46 games.
2. Kassian MIGHT return Connor Brown. Might also get a mid pick.
3. Ya, Rieder for probably no higher than a 4th, maybe as low as a 6th.
4. There is a big difference between Petrovic who can't get a steady spot in the line up and Benning. Benning goes for more than a 5th.
5. Talbot could get a 4th IMHO.

Manning won't go for jack. He'll get buried in the AHL.

Russell is worth way more than a 7th. AND cap coming back? That's nuts.
Sekera... well if he plays in the NHL again and it looks like he might, we will have to evaluate what he is. No idea what kind of player is left there.

I agree that I may have valued our players a pick too low, im just used to it now. Maroon was supposed to get a 2nd+ and we only got a 3rd for him (Luckily it got us Marody though)

Id rather have 4m in capspace then have Russel. He is a #5/6 LHD and that isnt worth 4m. We justify paying him 4m since he plays #3/4 RHD and he is terrible at it.

Benning and Petrovic are pretty similar value wise IMO. I agree Benning is worth more but not by much he also isnt very good.

An an ideal world we move out both Russel and Sekera and bring in a top4 RHD. Re-sign gravel as purely our #7D and have Jones, Bouchard, Persson, Lagesson and Bear fight for the 2 bottom pairing spots.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Edmonton was a ship, the way they'd get rid of dead weight would be to throw their propellers, rudder, anchor, navigation system and life boats into the water first.

As opposed to the Leafs who have just sailed the oceans aimlessly since 1967? :sarcasm:

Nah seriously though Oilers management has really done a number on this team. It's hard on us.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
As opposed to the Leafs who have just sailed the oceans aimlessly since 1967? :sarcasm:

Nah seriously though Oilers management has really done a number on this team. It's hard on us.
We know because we were also there once, my friend.
Competent management solves all, though.

Reactions: TFHockey

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Top 6 meaning Panarin or top 6 meaning Hyman?
Not that I disagree, but top 6 is just such a broad term.

IMO, the hardest thing is dumping the bad contracts. You either need to wait them out, or put up good pieces to entice a team to take them.
Lucic is playing like a decent 3W who doesnt score much, but that should put him around 2m a year.
Russell is not a NHL top 4 guy, maybe a #6 on a contender.
Manning Benning are both maybe #6 guys.

If you dotn want to wait the contracts out, you will either need to take back bad contracts or buy another teams space.

IMO, trading Lucic at 50% retained would probably gain you a positive asset even though it's still more than he is producing.

Top six meaning a winger who's a lock for 50pts. Why didnt Chia acquired Hoffman when Ottawa was selling cheap on him is beyond me.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Dead weight? Any relation to Doug Weight? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness this shouldn't surprise anyone. Aside from Mcdavid and Drai every Oiler should be considered up for grabs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->