OT: Oilers themed man cave?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
My fiancée and I have just finalized the purchase of our first ever house together, and her being the fantastic woman she is, has allowed me to turn our rec room into my own personal man cave.

Really the only thing I'm passionate enough to dedicate a whole room to, is the Edmonton Oilers. However, I am having trouble finding a few things I think would really help round out the look.

I was hoping to find a nice oiler themed, or at least oiler coloured reclining chair, perhaps some interesting oiler signs, or really any little things that would help to make it feel like you just entered oil country, in my basement!

Does anybody have any websites/places that would carry such things? The biggest thing I'm having trouble finding is the chair.

Also, If you want to show of your mancave in this thread I'd love to see it!

Here's to a fantastic offseason!

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I can't any pictures, but I used have a nice Oilers themed room in my old house. I'm not sure if they still sell it but Home Depot used to sell NHL themed paint colours, so I actually ended painting the room in the room with the original Oilers blue and copper. Oilers themed stuff can be found on the internet or places like the Oilers store in Kingsway or Shoppers Drug Mart. As for the chair, I remember seeing a Oilers themed reclining leather chair on sale at a store called House 2 Home furnishing. It was black with a Oilers logo in the middle.

Edit: the chair looked like this:

nhl-fan-gear.jpg

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I painted my old basement copper and blue 10 years ago but damn it was dark down there!

Michael's has 50% off jersey frames quite often, I've been meaning to buy a couple.

Signed photos aren't really my thing. Kind of looking for something new to showcase in the new basement but haven't found it yet.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I painted my old basement copper and blue 10 years ago but damn it was dark down there!

Michael's has 50% off jersey frames quite often, I've been meaning to buy a couple.

Signed photos aren't really my thing. Kind of looking for something new to showcase in the new basement but haven't found it yet.

A McDavid shrine obviously

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
At this point, I don't think any Oilers themed room would be complete without a ping pong table, and an assortment of ping pong balls. :D

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'm not sure how rich / loose with your money you are but a friend of mine got the 5 Oilers replica mini Stanley Cups from the hockey Hall of Fame.
http://shop.hhof.com/novelties/2306-nhl-miniature-stanley-cup.html

One day I might pony up enough money for some signed jerseys and frame them.

http://www.amazon.ca/UPI-Marketing-Inc-SCR10032-Replica/dp/B0063GJCHM

there are 3' stanley cup replicas that run about four bills. they are great. i bought three so far. one to be signed by oilers cup champs and the other two are the start to getting five.
slick pieces. (btw...the one i bought to get signed i have most of the big guys except gretz and the actual oilers currently on staff in the organization which i know is weird. i have an easier time getting guys elsewhere. its a pain to bring around with me on business but i do it. its made some air miles.)

they are so nice that once you buy one you will want another.

-------------------

on the topic of chairs... there is a natuzzi leather that can be custom ordered in a blue, which i find matches well with the oilers. natuzzi is in sears.
natuzzi is high quality leather without getting out of hand on price.

i also saw a glass cocktail table that was in the shape of a rain drop...or in an oilers fans brain...an oil drop. i think i saw it at ashleys or online. it was about six bills. i think the matching side tables were just normal squares and were five bills each on sale.
the legs of the table were a light cherry wood. perfect lightness to reprime and paint blue. the glass oil drop top is not kid friendly though. if i had kids acting like the room was their playground id never buy it. kids are banned from horseplay in the man cave for that reason.

add a nice throw rug with the related colors...amazingly the oilers colors are easy to match with. i went with blue being the main color. if you do blue AND orange it doesnt mesh. id choose blue or orange and then go metallic with all the other pieces...i chose blue as main then went with dark coppers, stanley cup silver trim on all frames, display matte black for display tables, curios etc....and then copper for the wet bar fittings etc.
--------------------
electrolux had nhl theme 24" wide bottom mount fridges which were 74" high. great to not take up too much space if you need additional beer and fixins space. i just googled and couldnt find so maybe they are discoed

--------

be aware that lighting has a huge effect on how the colors look. i have a cigar area which gets away from the theme a bit and has yellower incan bulbs. the main area has been lit by blue zoned led lighting with only the tv back lighting as yellow range light.

have fun

PS. my advice. stay away from the nhl furniture etc. the product is crap and you are paying for the logos etcand branding. stay away from that stuff, as it is not worth the price. for nhl stuff focus on the walls and decor. your furniture should be long term and durable yet showable. if you cant do that now...and want to focus the money in the decor than dont spend a tonne on crap thats pvc, vinyl s**t...buy cheap temporary furniture or use your current pieces. the decor is most important at first...and simple comfy furniture will do. then when you are ready to get the furno dooooiiiiiiit
to give you an example... two 90" couches and two high back recliners, in custom natuzzi leather cost me on a great sale four large. fn worth every penny. they look the same as the day i bought them and leather ages great. if i go to friends places they dont have the furniture involved in the theme of the room...but you dont notice it. the furniture part is really just a bonus area of spending that ties the room together.
its not necessary imho. just dont gotacky. that nhl furniture looks like kids room stuff to me. no one will care if you use an old recliner and a beat up sectional. its a man cave. but that nhl stuff...dont do it.

btw CONGRATS ON THE HOUSE!! farout man.

oh and btw... i know i have written alot. but this is key. how much do you want it to be a man cave? how far? when i did mine i wanted my wife to know it was not her place. she gets the rest of the house. thatswhy i turned one of two basement bedrooms into a cigar and poker area and tore down the walls to make them glass. she has to see in at the poker table and big ashtray tables. she cant avoid seeing it. in hind sight i could have just done a full glass door but i figured i didnt want to regret spending money on just changing the door and then feel a need to add more glass later.
then...
i added...
a stripper pole.
yup
no, i dont bring strippers. she has used it a few times (took interest after i got it and now does classes). but the point was to think of things shed find unattractive TO HER. just a few. just to say its mine. i cant stand any of her choices in stuff and i dont complain...so i wanted to make sure that this was mine.

and i added hideous used hockey gloves in clear display cases. she finds them repulsive to see. :)
mancave truly MANcave.

the stripper pole is copper btw :)

-----i think i should probably give a referral to the sales person that arranged and thought up most of my design. most of whats done were not my specific ideas to begin. he took my general idea of being slightly wife unfriendly, pool table, wet bar, hockey deco... and just went further. my wife and i now constantly go to him. we just give him a price (budget doesnt seem to matter) an idea of what we want and he comes up with insane stuff and then just lets you know when the best purchase time is. you can message me if you want his info. i refer all my friends to him. he even set me up with his compititors when they had better pieces than he could get.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
^^ After the essay above (which is full of good advice), we absolutely need a picture. :D Sounds like a sweet setup.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I can't help too much, but I'm in the same boat, and have been slowly piecing it together since we moved in last fall.

When we moved in, the basement had previously had minor water damage, so all the drywall was ripped out, and the owners had just put some up on the walls (and not done the cleanest job in some places), so rather than redo a bunch of it, so I could paint, I figured flags would cover it nicely.

As a gamer, the TV is pretty important, and luckily, my fiance agreed to let me splurge on a new 4k TV. Up top are a few autographed pictures of Gags (don't judge, it's him giving Joey Moss a high five), Hall, Nuge, Doan, and David Ortiz.

And probably my favorite part of the room are the plaques from Musil and Orban's stalls that I got from a Giants locker room sale.

Furniture and whatnot fills the room, but big part of what makes me enjoy it so much are all the little pieces

MPStoEberletoHall*

Check out Pro Am Sports. Their showroom is incredible.

Would this be considered the top memorabilia store for the Oilers in Edmonton? I'm planning on heading to Edmonton this summer, and I would like to check out some stores that carry Oil collectables/memorabilia.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Anybody looking to deck out their man cave, I know Jersey City's across Edmonton currently have a sale for Oiler novelty and apparel for 40% off. They had some pretty nice Oiler banners and some also have signed and framed photographs of former and/or current Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad