Oilers Still Searching For Top Defenceman

McDeathbyCheerios*

Pietrangelo a Hamilton clone? Other way around...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The biggest give away that the Oilers are searching for a top pairing Dman was when Chiarelli pencilled in Sekera as "the Linchpin on the 2nd pairing"

If Sekera is on the 2nd pairing then someone better than him must be linchpinning the top pairing.. Cant possibly be anyone one the current roster. Also, If he was happy with his defense he wouldnt have taken Schultz to arbitration since there was no need to buyout anyone.

Something is in the works I am sure.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The biggest give away that the Oilers are searching for a top pairing Dman was when Chiarelli pencilled in Sekera as "the Linchpin on the 2nd pairing"

If Sekera is on the 2nd pairing then someone better than him must be linchpinning the top pairing.. Cant possibly be anyone one the current roster. Also, If he was happy with his defense he wouldnt have taken Schultz to arbitration since there was no need to buyout anyone.

Possibly a trade for a left d with the intention of playing Klefbom on the right with Sekera?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If that's true, I'd imagine Draisaitl, Nurse, Yakupov, Eberle and 1st in 2016 are all on the table. But who would trade top pairing d-man at this point? Maybe NYR will move Yandle or Girardi, but other than that I don't see any givers.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

If that's true, I'd imagine Draisaitl, Nurse, Yakupov, Eberle and 1st in 2016 are all on the table. But who would trade top pairing d-man at this point? Maybe NYR will move Yandle or Girardi, but other than that I don't see any givers.

I definitely agree. Chiarelli is still wanting to make a huge splash with our defense.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Take out Drai and Nurse and you are probably right

Why? RNH and MacDavid are ahead of Draisaitl and depending on what is coming back this may not be a bad move. Nurse I am not sure is on the table, but his the best d prospect and I'd imagine anybody moving a top pairing defenseman would want a good prospect in return.

I am hoping for something like Eberle+1st+B prospect (Simpson, Musil, Davidson). Or something smaller like Eberle for Yandle straight up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Why? RNH and MacDavid are ahead of Draisaitl and depending on what is coming back this may not be a bad move. Nurse I am not sure is on the table, but his the best d prospect and I'd imagine anybody moving a top pairing defenseman would want a good prospect in return.

I am hoping for something like Eberle+1st+B prospect (Simpson, Musil, Davidson). Or something smaller like Eberle for Yandle straight up.
Moving Eberle destroys our right side. You can't move him unless Yak actually shows he can play in the top 6.

And we keep Drai and move him to left wing as we have 0 decent left wing prospects so when Pouliot ages Drai takes over

Eirhead*

With the blue-chip LD prospects we have in the system, you gotta think Ference is a name to consider for buy-out. It would complete the reboot. Add 1 more RD to make us more or less 4D deep on each side.

ivanthebad*

Moving Eberle destroys our right side. You can't move him unless Yak actually shows he can play in the top 6.

And we keep Drai and move him to left wing as we have 0 decent left wing prospects so when Pouliot ages Drai takes over

For every trade move there is going to a hole left but another filled, just depends on what is deamed most important. The Oilers are not going to be the most perfect balanced team. Look at Chi, the had players come through their system and play well in those spots. I don't think Saad was considered a 1st liner last year? Tuevarninen will become a 2nd liner this year.

If we trade Ebs and fill that Top D role with say Burns, the Oilers are equally or better than not having it filled and keeping Ebs

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Yeah, I don't really see Edler as an option. The Canucks are trending younger and he's a big part of their future now that he bounced back once Torts left town. Hamhuis is the next Canucks defenceman to be moved and he's a good all-around guy, but smaller and older and nothing flashy. Wouldn't top the list, but wouldn't completely discount him either.

Appreciate the feedback and glad to see I'm not the only one who believes Chiarelli is still going after that big fish for the blue-line.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I don't really see Edler as an option. The Canucks are trending younger and he's a big part of their future now that he bounced back once Torts left town. Hamhuis is the next Canucks defenceman to be moved and he's a good all-around guy, but smaller and older and nothing flashy. Wouldn't top the list, but wouldn't completely discount him either.

Appreciate the feedback and glad to see I'm not the only one who believes Chiarelli is still going after that big fish for the blue-line.

We'll know better by the end of the day Sunday, I think.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You don't necessarily need a true #1 if you have a few #2/#3 types. Look at the Carolina cup team in 2006. Oilers had Pronger, they didn't have a true #1 dman yet still won.

Granted, Oilers bad luck helped but...

If Oilers can sign Ehrhoff or Franson, I think the d can be considered patched up without giving up a roster player, and you take your chances. During the season, who knows who will become available and for how much. If need be, you look then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad