Post-Game Talk: Oilers sing the Blues

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
The PP was awful. Sounds like he is not going to make any personal changes.
Also, was the PK as great as he said it was?

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Speaking of powerplays. I don't think I have ever seen a powerplay have 4 pucks cleared easily over the left point in one game with no one at that point. The Oilers were 0 for 4 on the power play and now every team in the NHL knows where to chip the puck out. I don't know how the coaching staff doesn't see it. Might want to try some different players on that left point. Is McDavid supposed to playing that left point?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Fatigue and missing 2 horses on d. Can't win every game although so many people think they should.

Sure, but they are playing one of the worst teams in the league and the effort was terrible.

I don't think Nurse is a good fit for the power play, he just seems so awkward out there and doesn't seem to run the point very well.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
The lefty Dman isn't the biggest problem, it's the Nuge spot. Not Nuge himself but they need a right handed shoot first player in that spot.
It's no coincidence that the Oilers PP was top 5 with Letestu catching fire and has been junk ever since.

They have the same personnel now except no righty in the one time zone. Get any semblance of shooting skill in that spot and the PP will take off. How many times does McDavid pass cross ice and Nuge either has to adjust position, dust it off and shoot a wrister or just pass it back? They need somebody who will just shoot the pill.

The only issue I see with that is if you watch Nuge over there he is great at keeping possession and the puck moving when the pass isnt on the tape and there is a lane open. Not many players have that skill on this team. Would be nice to have Rattie or Jessie ready for a one-timer but if its not on the tape its a good chance they can't work the puck back up or around to hold possession then its down the ice.

I still think they should try it.

If all else fails just put Lucic out there. :help:

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
It's too bad they can't go 4 on 4 instead of a power play. They're much better when they create rushes and they can't set up a pp for sh*t. At least Hitch said he'll fix it.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Fatigue and missing 2 horses on d. Can't win every game although so many people think they should.
Can’t speak for others but mark me down as a fan that was looking forward to at least a bounce back EFFORT following the loss to the nucks. Even Stauffer was ripping oilers during second period for their awful power play. Clear lack of urgency when you only manage 3 shots on goal on 5 power plays.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Crappy game. Bad luck, bad special teams and bad officiating. Christmas break can't come soon enough.

The on ice officials made the right call on the disputed goal, the play was blown dead, then Toronto determined that if you push a puck "that you can't see" into the net after the whistle, while the net is lifted off the ice, it's a good goal..

Toronto screwed us over on that one..

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
RNH said after the Canuck game when asked about the struggling PP, something to the effect, " well, we outplayed them 5 on 5, so there's that."

Apparently the PP is not a big concern to this team. Nor is the PK, by the looks of things either.

Both of those specialty teams will come back to haunt you if there is not any corrections.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Oilers seem to not show up vs the teams they should beat. It has been a problem all year and I don't understand why.

Yes our PP was lethargic, but so was everything else. The refs weren't great in this game but we got outplayed either way.

Maybe all those heavy minutes are catching up to the team. When you combine that with being down 3 of our top 4 defense it is no wonder we are failing. Still would like to see the team win some of these games though because it only gets harder against teams like Tampa. You have to win these ones.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers seem to not show up vs the teams they should beat. It has been a problem all year and I don't understand why.

Yes our PP was lethargic, but so was everything else. The refs weren't great in this game but we got outplayed either way.

Maybe all those heavy minutes are catching up to the team. When you combine that with being down 3 of our top 4 defense it is no wonder we are failing. Still would like to see the team win some of these games though because it only gets harder against teams like Tampa. You have to win these ones.
Losing these last 2 games against lesser substandard opposition have now made the Tampa game hugely important and almost a must win type of game.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Bad game made worse.
Talbot and the refs don't get along. Two egregious interferences that count. Though this isn't as awful as the playoffs.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Speaking of powerplays. I don't think I have ever seen a powerplay have 4 pucks cleared easily over the left point in one game with no one at that point. The Oilers were 0 for 4 on the power play and now every team in the NHL knows where to chip the puck out. I don't know how the coaching staff doesn't see it. Might want to try some different players on that left point. Is McDavid supposed to playing that left point?
Exactly. That’s where Nuge “plays” and
he was pure garbage last night

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Can’t speak for others but mark me down as a fan that was looking forward to at least a bounce back EFFORT following the loss to the nucks. Even Stauffer was ripping oilers during second period for their awful power play. Clear lack of urgency when you only manage 3 shots on goal on 5 power plays.

I thought they would have a bounce back too but after seeing how tired they looked I realized it was just one of those games. I expect a great effort Saturday, will be a tough one but 3 days of rest should definitely help

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I'll cut them some slack for this one considering 14 games in 25 days is ridiculous. But that was a piss poor effort.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One comment on the Blues board about the goal reviews was particularly funny;

"Toronto is probably answering the phone like what the hell do you guys want this time. We already made the decision by flipping a quarter and getting heads. Now you want us to flip again? "

hahaha

Most of the Blues board didn't even think the Blues scored a goal there. But they didn't agree with the Pulju goal being one either..

The funniest thing is them thinking they always get jobbed by the NHl and we always get the calls..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad