Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Best lineup I could make out of what's out there.

RNH-McDavid-JP
Aberg-Drai-Rieder
Lucic-Brodziak-Strome
Hartnell-Winnik-Stajan
Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Enstrom-Benning
Gravel-Franson

Team would have 7 options for C... plenty of solid 2-way centre depth. Likely the best 4th line in the NHL.

Enstrom/Franson would be good LH/RH vet help for the bottom pairing (and likely some PP help as well).

Rattie in the AHL.
Caggiula dumped for cap space (or AHL if he isn't dealt and clears waivers).
Kassian traded away (or also AHL if he can't be dealt).

You don't need speedy players in the bottom 6 (although it doesn't hurt). You need dependable 2-way players that can chip in some offense. Guys that can PK and that won't hurt you while the top 2 lines are resting.
No love for Khaira? He should be pencilled in to the starting lineup this year. And every player on the 4th line is worse than Upshall, Kassian, and Cagguila.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No love for Khaira? He should be pencilled in to the starting lineup this year. And every player on the 4th line is worse than Upshall, Kassian, and Cagguila.

Nope... they are all better 2-way options. Too many people have boxcaritis and can't see beyond the stat sheet. Hockey is a two-way game and preventing goals and PKing is important as well.

Caggiula bleeds goals against... should be in the AHL.
Kassian is ok but lost his desire/hunger last season and I'd rather have all those 4th liners for their 2-way play over Kassian anyway.

Khaira is still there... he'll get his share of games as the roster is never healthy for long... he'll likely play 60+ games, if not more.

Players can still go up and down between the NHL/AHL on waivers so it's no big deal if a player is tearing it up down there... like Rattie/Yamamoto.

If a player forces themselves into the lineup then so be it... you stick a player on waivers and nothing lost.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
jebus it prevented Slepy, Pak, from getting more minutes just last season. Now they're gone. Even though they were both better players than the vet they kept, Kassian. Plus when was Jokinen ever great for us?

I liked Hendricks but there was a period of transtition time where it made sense for the team to recruit slow plodding vet support guys with the solid attitude. There's suppowed to be a shelf life for that nature of recruit. This is fast NHL hockey era. Things have changed. This isn't the Detroit Red Wings load up on vet players era. You got to be able to play the fast game now or you are toast. One of the reasons the Blues would have found some players now expendable.
Slepy and Pak are nothing players. Pakarainen could PK decently but has zero physicality, zero offense and his defense is average at best. Slepyshev had good hustle once a week. When he doesn't have that good hustle he is literally invisible and brings nothing to the table

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Slepy and Pak are nothing players. Pakarainen could PK decently but has zero physicality, zero offense and his defense is average at best. Slepyshev had good hustle once a week. When he doesn't have that good hustle he is literally invisible and brings nothing to the table
Pakarinen often led this team in hits/minute. Solid hits as well, just belting people. I have no idea what you were watching in relation to this player.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Nope... they are all better 2-way options. Too many people have boxcaritis and can't see beyond the stat sheet. Hockey is a two-way game and preventing goals and PKing is important as well.

Kassian is ok but lost his desire/hunger last season and I'd rather have all those 4th liners for their 2-way play over Kassian anyway.

Khaira is still there... he'll get his share of games as the roster is never healthy for long... he'll likely play 60+ games, if not more.

Players can still go up and down between the NHL/AHL on waivers so it's no big deal if a player is tearing it up down there... like Rattie/Yamamoto.

If a player forces themselves into the lineup then so be it... you stick a player on waivers and nothing lost.

I'd like to know what you've seen in Stajan over the last couple of years that makes you think he's a good option.

You can talk about stat watching, but that guy is just slow.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd like to know what you've seen in Stajan over the last couple of years that makes you think he's a good option.

You can talk about stat watching, but that guy is just slow.
Seems quite apparent that there is some sort of fancy stat that shows stajan as a valuable player

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pakarinen often led this team in hits/minute. Solid hits as well, just belting people. I have no idea what you were watching in relation to this player.
Agreed. Possibly the Oilers most physical player, and actually quite sound defensively. Problem is his skating.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

The last thing we need is more slow players.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
IMO, Caggiula and Aberg are who Upshall will be pushing. If he passes either of them he'll get a contract. Aberg has speed Upshall has never had, but I'm not sure Caggiula offers anything Upshall cant.

If anything this should motivate Aberg, Caggiula, Khaira, and even Kassian to get working. Can't see him passing Khaira or Kassian on the depth chart, but it's not like they are locks for the team either.

Edit to add this:
I remembered reading a piece by Upshall in the Player's Tribune a couple years back. Seems like a character guy to me, if he makes the team it means we are better and I think his character will have an impact.

For Fort McMurray | By Scottie Upshall

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Upshall mentioned he and Brodziak played one game with Rattie in St. Louis and there definitely was some chemistry. Yeah, only one game I know.

The lines with two big ifs.

Nuge - Mcdavid - Puljujarvi
Looch - Drai - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Kassian
Upshall - Brodziak - Rattie
Caggiula/Aberg

Puljujarvi looks like he has really dedicated himself to conditioning this off season. If Looch really has shed some weight then hopefully he can keep up with Drai and Rieder. The Oilers can give Yamamoto some more time to develop.

Reactions: stony

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I can't see Rattie being very useful on the 4th line.

If he's not used in a spot to take advantage of his offensive skills... he might as well be in the AHL and someone with better 2 way ability would be better on the 4th line.

Switch Kassian and Rattie at least and try to squeeze some offense out of Rattie if he has to be in the lineup.

Reactions: stony

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Strickland was on with the Jasons yesterday. Really like what he had to say about Scottie. Said he liked him and Brodziak together and that Scottie isn't your typical 4th liner. He is a guy that will excel with 12-13 minutes a night. A guy that still has his speed and a guy that can and will be able to hang out with the rookies as well as the vet.

Really like that part. We need someone that can bridge that gap.

Reactions: guymez

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think if Upshall has any game at all he'll at least stick as the 13th forward. There was a lot of talk about how much the team missed Hendricks last season, and whether that has any tangible effect on results or not, I'm sure the perception in management is that they need to add some more veteran character into the locker room.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't mind the idea of Upshall and Brodziak anchoring the PK and the 4th line. Á la Hendricks and Gordon of the Wagon Line days.

Personal I'd put Khaira on the other wing with those two, as he's the guy I want to groom as a matchup player.

Staple Kassian and Lucic together, encouraging them to form a grind line. Toss Strome in there, and that's the bottom 6 set.

Leaves you RNH, Puljujarvi, and Rieder in 3 of the 4 top 6 wingers spot, with Caggiula, Aberg, Rattie, and Yamamoto battling for the last spot.

RNH-McDavid-______
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

Honestly for all the doom and gloom, that's not that bad, especially considering you've still got McDavid and Draisaitl to drive the top lines.

Reactions: wokwithme

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't mind the idea of Upshall and Brodziak anchoring the PK and the 4th line. Á la Hendricks and Gordon of the Wagon Line days.

Personal I'd put Khaira on the other wing with those two, as he's the guy I want to groom as a matchup player.

Staple Kassian and Lucic together, encouraging them to form a grind line. Toss Strome in there, and that's the bottom 6 set.

Leaves you RNH, Puljujarvi, and Rieder in 3 of the 4 top 6 wingers spot, with Caggiula, Aberg, Rattie, and Yamamoto battling for the last spot.

RNH-McDavid-______
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

Honestly for all the doom and gloom, that's not that bad, especially considering you've still got McDavid and Draisaitl to drive the top lines.
Playing a younger player with those two sounds like a pretty decent idea. Two guys with could work ethic to rub off on a guy. Not only that Khaira is someone that hasn't had a lot of expectations. After last year I think people are going to be on him a lot more. Those two could sure help him get through it.

Luckily for Jujhar he has a skill set that should allow him to help the team out even if he isn't putting up points. Something the vets could remind him about.

wokwithme

Dec 8, 2017
What is this fixation with old nothing players that are way past it?

Upshall should retire.

The scary thing is our winger depth is so poor he might make the team.

Am i missing something? He was on an actual good team the last three years and performed his role on that team.
He is also a PTO.

not sure how its a negative in any way shape or form.
Are you just negative to be negative?

Also until camp starts we are in tough with the cap and wont get any freedom until day 1 when we get some cap relief in moving Sekera to LTIR.

wokwithme

Dec 8, 2017

RNH-McDavid-______
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

Kassian is the guy i feel needs to have a big year despite the speed game everyone has talked about you still need to possess the puck and the Oilers need guys like Lucic and Kassian to be quality contributors. They didnt make the ice surrface bigger or change the rules to the game in the last 2 years. players just need to be ready to execute quicker and more accurately.

i feel the new coaching situation is so that each coach can focus a bit more on certain players. i think kassian and Lucic will get the coaching and feedback that they need to be better coached game to game and better prepared with feedback and drills made for them.

I still feel bigger players, even slow, can be useful if they have hands or attributes that are impactful. Ask other dressing rooms and Looch when on his game is still a force. he can still injure and wear down dmen on the forecheck. he has a good release. he is difficult to move from the net.
he needs to execute faster because his foot speed will never get up there. executing faster will bring his game speed up.
kass has wheels.

lucic in a straight away should not be handling the puck but making quick passes to others for zone entries. once in the zone he can be very effective punishing the d and goalie and being coached properly on where he should be to cut off exits. his passing and o zone exits were horrid last year and when he is off his game he handles the puck too much.

just because some teams play a faster game doesnt mean that lucic and kassian and a chara have become irrelevant. they have to be used properly in fact... some games might dictate coaching to use lucic and kass more than others due to effectiveness. a line like looch -kass centred by strome or even drai could cause complete havoc against some squads. either way... their line will face less skilled dmen

Last edited:
Reactions: nexttothemoon

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers had the worst home PK in modern history and the #1 road PK in the NHL. There's only one reason that happens: it's in their heads.

So if Scottie Upshall is the 4LW instead of, say, Pontus Aberg helps address that, I think I can live with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->