Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Saw it mentioned in the rumours thread. Might as well have its own discussion.

One thing Upshall probably has going for him is that he and Brodziak were all but attached at the hip over the past 3 years in St. Louis. Both on the 4th line and as a PK duo.

A PTO doesn't mean he'll get a spot guaranteed though. Kelly didn't end up getting a contract last year after being on a PTO. And we probably all remember the Versteeg fiasco.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So forward lines could be

Nuge - McDavid - Yamamoto/Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Upshall - Brodziak - Kassian
Caggiula/Rattie

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I like it, but I'm not super familiar with his play as of late.

Seems like he still has some gas left in the tank and would fit in nicely on the 4th.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Solid and cheap pickup... but we still have Benning in a pivotal role, and Ty Rattie AHLer on our top wing. Add all the “experienced” bottom 6 guys you want, still have gaping holes.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Good stuff. It would be nice if he performs well in camp, we could then potentially deal Caggiula or Kassian in a minor deal for a D-man

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
How long before he signs with Calgary :sarcasm:
It's usually only after training camp is complete when they realize how poor their forward depth is.

Which is probably also why they consistently overrate their defense; because if Johnny and friends can't score at TC, they must be the "top defense in the league."

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
And if we're really lucky Lucic isn't even in the top 6!

I'm trying to be optimistic here. :)

I truly hope Looch can return to 2016-17 form.

Who is an optimistic replacement for Looch as 2LW?

Khaira and Upshall are fine in the bottom six. I just don't see anyone else who could be better than 2016-17 Looch.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm trying to be optimistic here. :)

I truly hope Looch can return to 2016-17 form.

Khaira and Upshall are find in the bottom six. I just don't see anyone else who could be better than 2016-17 Looch.
Well...Rieder plays both wings and Jesse is a right shot. That could be your second line. Buut....lets be real, Lucic is not going to be on the 3rd line, no matter what.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm down with this. Hopefully he earns a contract and can add some leadership and give the bottom 6 a boost.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
So forward lines could be

Nuge - McDavid - Yamamoto/Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Caggiula/Rattie

This is what I would like to see as well. Maybe even have Lucic play on third line and both Puju and Yamo in top 6 if they show they are ready for it.

Nuge - Mcdavid - Yamo
Rieder - Drai - Puju
Lucic - Strome - Khaira
Caggiula/Aberg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What is this fixation with old nothing players that are way past it?

Upshall should retire.

The scary thing is our winger depth is so poor he might make the team.

Having veterans with their last kick at the can or 2 around is a good thing. It should keep everyone else honest. Adding more experience is a good thing as long as we aren't signing these guys to multi year deals. If he shows nothing at camp then we don't sign him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He battles harder than the majority of the team, let him be the #12/#13 forward. No need to run him every game

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What is this fixation with old nothing players that are way past it?

Upshall should retire.

The scary thing is our winger depth is so poor he might make the team.
It's a PTO to see if he can provide what he did last year in St Louis (solid play, good leadership, good penalty killing) and if not then he is a body that helps fill out camp.

There is literally no harm for the organization here.

Old nothing player that's way past? He puts up over a 20 point pace playing 4th line minutes.

He had as much opportunity as your fave Pakarainen had in St Louis and was a much better player.

That said if he looks good in camp, sign him for league minimum and if he looks bad during the year, waiver wire no harm no foul. Not like we are signing him for 4x4

Reactions: nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Having veterans with their last kick at the can or 2 around is a good thing. It should keep everyone else honest. Adding more experience is a good thing as long as we aren't signing these guys to multi year deals. If he shows nothing at camp then we don't sign him.
It's not like a Jokinen or Cammaleri either where they both are kind of top 6 offense or bust kind of players. Upshall had been a bottom 6 guy for his entire career and those guys usually stay useful longer

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Seems like a good locker room guy, hopefully he does well. I haven't watched a ton of him, but from what I've read he seems like a solid PK guy as well

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

I know of a free agent left winger that once put up 33 goals and 70 points in 113 games alongside McDavid and Nuge and is still on our payroll.

connor-mcdavid-benoit-pouliot.jpeg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's not like a Jokinen or Cammaleri either where they both are kind of top 6 offense or bust kind of players. Upshall had been a bottom 6 guy for his entire career and those guys usually stay useful longer

For sure, add in that he has chemistry and familiarity with Brodziak and we could have 2/3's of very effective 4th line and PK duo for $2 million.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->