Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don't love it, don't hate it. Caggiula and Khaira need some competition for those bottom six spots. But isn't this one of the guys that the OBC were enamored with way back when?

I hope we're also bringing in a few guys to give Rattie, Aberg and JP a run for their money on the top six.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don't love it, don't hate it. Caggiula and Khaira need some competition for those bottom six spots. But isn't this one of the guys that the OBC were enamored with way back when?

I hope we're also bringing in a few guys to give Rattie, Aberg and JP a run for their money on the top six.
I feel like our top 6 right wing spots have enough competition right now.

Aberg, Rattie, JP, Yamamoto and Maksimov as a super long shot.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Signing PTO's is never a bad thing. Upshall is nothing more than a 4th liner who can help on the PK and be a great locker room presence (which we probably missed last year). I hope he plays well and makes the team because on paper Upshall-Brodziak-Kassian is a nice 4th line.

Reactions: Mr Positive

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I have a feeling they want to sign him to an NHL contract, but want to make sure Nurse is signed first. A PTO is a good compromise between the two parties if Scotty really wants to play/sign here, which I think he will in the end. He should be more than fine on the 4th line with Brodz, and on the PK. Could probably use his veteran presence in the locker-room, too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Solid and cheap pickup... but we still have Benning in a pivotal role, and Ty Rattie AHLer on our top wing. Add all the “experienced” bottom 6 guys you want, still have gaping holes.

Neither of those is really true. Benning is going to play on the bottom pairing. It’ll take injuries to put him in a “pivotal role”, and that’s the case for most teams. Rattie is likely competing with Yamamoto, Pulju, and Caggiula for 2 open spots if we sign Upshall. If Rattie is playing on the top line, it means he’s earned it.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
This is what I would like to see as well. Maybe even have Lucic play on third line and both Puju and Yamo in top 6 if they show they are ready for it.

Nuge - Mcdavid - Yamo
Rieder - Drai - Puju
Lucic - Strome - Khaira
Upshall - Brodziak - Kassian
Caggiula/Aberg

That's a decent plan B, especially if Lucic can't handle top 6 minutes anymore.

My fear with that is Rieder is really more comfortable on the right side (as are Yamamoto and Puljujarvi).

The Rieder signing is a bit of a gamble on a bounce back year and I don't want to hurt his chances by playing him on his off wing in a top 6 role.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Neither of those is really true. Benning is going to play on the bottom pairing. It’ll take injuries to put him in a “pivotal role”, and that’s the case for most teams. Rattie is likely competing with Yamamoto, Pulju, and Caggiula for 2 open spots if we sign Upshall. If Rattie is playing on the top line, it means he’s earned it.

If Benning is on the bottom pair, who's the 2RHD? Russell?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Benning is better than Russell.

I think I'm one of the very few here who likes both of those players so that's an unbiased view. ;)

Benning has played 135 games... that's not even two full season's worth of games... so of course he has some rough edges but I feel he has more to show offensively and is better defensively than most give him credit for.

Russell is turning to the downside of his career... not that he's crap now... just that he is what he is with not a lot of upside, whereas Benning still has farther to go.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I don't think there is any trace of OBC decision making on this one.

Upshall is just a prominent UFA out there to help with depth, and the x-factor is likely his established chemistry with Brodziak. They were an effective duo in St.Louis, especially on the PK

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Russell is turning to the downside of his career... not that he's crap now... just that he is what he is with not a lot of upside, whereas Benning still has farther to go.

Russell and Benning are far different players. Russell earned his contract in full last year. His aav was reasonable for his performance. A reasonable salary for a 4/5 D who is perfectly comfortable in either role. When forced to step up to a 3D role he struggled, but that was to be expected.

fwiw Russell was a much more accomplished player going into his age 24 season than Benning is.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As to Upshall... nothing not to like about that PTO.

I'd also be in favour of one (or more) of Hartnell/Stajan/Winnik being brought in on a PTO as well and jettison 1 or more current Oilers.

I have somewhat of a bias towards good 2-way bottom 6 forwards and I think having a strong bottom 6 would make this team much better overall and the veteran presence would definitely help this team find some identity as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As to Upshall... nothing not to like about that PTO.

I'd also be in favour of one (or more) of Hartnell/Stajan/Winnik being brought in on a PTO as well and jettison 1 or more current Oilers.

I have somewhat of a bias towards good 2-way bottom 6 forwards and I think having a strong bottom 6 would make this team much better overall and the veteran presence would definitely help this team find some identity as well.

Age 34 is not to like. These just seem like serial lateral moves. Discard Letestu, Hendricks, Jokinen etc, get more fill players with no upside. Players that are age declined, players near done. Every year, every season fans complain vociferously about having these nothing players in the lineup except that in July and August its always a good idea...

There are good vets, Brodz is closer to one, Hartnell is one. Guys that either had game at one point or still have something to contribute.

Now I know this is a PTO. But I know Chia and McLellan well enough that Upshall probably makes the team. Which I really don't want. This simply prevents one more prospect or developing player in our stable getting toi, and to no real end or net benefit.

These are worst than placeholders because they fill spots that could otherwise be filled with players that have potential.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
See, I'm all about letting our younger players ripen on the farm.

Yammer needs to dominate AHL before we give him 1st line NHL duties.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
I think the lines should shake up like this:

RNH Mcdavid Aberg
Rieder Draisaitl Puljuarvi
Lucic Strome Khaira
Upshall Brodiziak Kassian
rattie/caguila

I have Aberg in the top like RW slot because he is fast and has a really good shot. He can keep up with RNH and Connor and use his shot.
Rattie/Caguila would be good depth to have either as 13th forward ( or down in the minors for depth) coming in and out of the lineup to keep guys accountable.
Id like Yamo to make the team and I think he will push for a spot but to have him start in the minors and get half a season under his belt would do him some good.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Upshall is a good character vet...I literally see no downside here
if he plays well enough to earn a contract, he's a 4th liner at best and a 14th forward at worst making league minimum

if not, he will take his talents to Russia

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Age 34 is not to like. These just seem like serial lateral moves. Discard Letestu, Hendricks, Jokinen etc, get more fill players with no upside. Players that are age declined, players near done. Every year, every season fans complain vociferously about having these nothing players in the lineup except that in July and August its always a good idea...

There are good vets, Brodz is closer to one, Hartnell is one. Guys that either had game at one point or still have something to contribute.

Now I know this is a PTO. But I know Chia and McLellan well enough that Upshall probably makes the team. Which I really don't want. This simply prevents one more prospect or developing player in our stable getting toi, and to no real end or net benefit.

These are worst than placeholders because they fill spots that could otherwise be filled with players that have potential.
I'm sorry but what helps a player with potential more. 4th line NHL minutes or AHL time?

I get you are still mad that we let nothing guys like Pakarainen and Slepyshev go but I much rather a guy like Upshall getting 5-8 minutes a game and having a prospect getting good time in the AHL. Or do you think it would be good for a guy like Yamamoto to play 4th line grinder minutes?

Also fans complain when these nothing players are playing bad and not being sat. Letestu was great for us until he wasn't. Same with Hendricks and Jokinen. Guess what we did to those guys? Kicked them to the curb. Same would be done if Upshall stops performing.

Stop acting like this is going to prevent legit young guys from getting legit minutes.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

I like some vet players in the lineup. Specifically I like some vet 2-way forwards in the bottom 6. They have been around the block and know their role and help solidify a team overall... and at this stage of their careers, they know they have to play hard or their NHL careers are over... there is no future for them beyond the season. The hunger and the compete should be there... and if it's not, their careers are done.

The goal should be to make this team as good as possible on every line to get a shot at a playoff spot and I think a few solid vets in the bottom 6 helps achieve that. If the younger players on the team force themselves onto the roster... so be it. These vets are cheap enough that they can be dumped on waivers and if they aren't picked up... they can be buried basically for free in the AHL.

I do agree that Upshall wouldn't have been my first pick.

Forwards I would have taken as PTO:

1 Stajan
2 Hartnell
3 Winnik

Dmen I would take as PTO:

1 Franson
2 Enstrom

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think we may have been watching different Matt Stajans. Seems like a great guy, but should be nowhere near an NHL roster at this point.

Upshall can at least skate.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Smart move. He's a good veteran leader by all accounts and was one of the more physical players on the Blues last year.

If he's lost a step he won't be here

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm sorry but what helps a player with potential more. 4th line NHL minutes or AHL time?

I get you are still mad that we let nothing guys like Pakarainen and Slepyshev go but I much rather a guy like Upshall getting 5-8 minutes a game and having a prospect getting good time in the AHL. Or do you think it would be good for a guy like Yamamoto to play 4th line grinder minutes?

Also fans complain when these nothing players are playing bad and not being sat. Letestu was great for us until he wasn't. Same with Hendricks and Jokinen. Guess what we did to those guys? Kicked them to the curb. Same would be done if Upshall stops performing.

Stop acting like this is going to prevent legit young guys from getting legit minutes.

jebus it prevented Slepy, Pak, from getting more minutes just last season. Now they're gone. Even though they were both better players than the vet they kept, Kassian. Plus when was Jokinen ever great for us?

I liked Hendricks but there was a period of transtition time where it made sense for the team to recruit slow plodding vet support guys with the solid attitude. There's suppowed to be a shelf life for that nature of recruit. This is fast NHL hockey era. Things have changed. This isn't the Detroit Red Wings load up on vet players era. You got to be able to play the fast game now or you are toast. One of the reasons the Blues would have found some players now expendable.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Best lineup I could make out of what's out there.

RNH-McDavid-JP (176 pts combined last season)
Aberg-Drai-Rieder (111 combined pts last season)
Lucic-Brodziak-Strome (101 combined pts last season)
Hartnell-Winnik-Stajan (59 pts combined last season)
Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson (34 pts combined last season)
Nurse-Russell (47 pts combined lasts season)
Enstrom-Benning (27 pts combined last season)
Gravel-Franson (10 pts combined last season)

Team would have 7 options for C... plenty of solid 2-way forward and centre depth. Likely the best 4th line in the NHL.

Enstrom/Franson would be good LH/RH vet help for the bottom pairing (and likely some PP help as well).

Rattie in the AHL.
Caggiula dumped for cap space (or AHL if he isn't dealt and clears waivers).
Kassian traded away (or also AHL if he can't be dealt).

You don't need speedy players in the bottom 6 (although it doesn't hurt). You need dependable 2-way players that can chip in some offense. Guys that can PK and that won't hurt you while the top 2 lines are resting.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i have read many times people complaining that we havent had a leader like hendricks since he left. I have heard numerous times that the guys int he room love Upshall and have a ton of respect for him. on a PTO there is no downside. if he proves valuable it allows the oilers to ride vets like upshall/broziak heavily on the defensive side which in turn allows us to have offensive zone starts for Puljju/Yams.

like the PTO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad