Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think what happened here is the agent told LeBrun, Dreger and Seravalli that it was done, but the Oilers are still signing the contract and hammering out details so they told local media it wasn't done.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully this doesn't fall through. Come on Barrie, this is the best possible landing spot for you.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Barrie is not a top pairing defenseman

He is still a heckuva an upgrade over what we had last year. We started the season with Larsson as the top pairing right D. Now he is currently slotted in as our third pairing right D.

Competition between Barrie and Bear to be the first pairing guy on the right side is a great thing to see.

After trading Larsson or Russell this team will be in solid shape. Whichever one of the two goes should be enough to help in the search for a left wing or goalie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gene Principe and Reid Wilkins said they have been told that nothing is done yet. Which implies either it's close to being a deal but not officially done yet or they hit a snag and things have changed.

Either way it's not official yet and there is reason to believe it could not happen still

Thanks. I'm reduced to superstition and sending positive energy now. It was inevitable that this would happen to me eventually..;)

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Don't love Barrie but at this point he's probably the best dman available that is a realistic target. If it's 1 year 4 mil I like it but he's gone after this year imo. He'll be getting a big pay day after racking up points with mcdrai but until then we need a stop gap for klefbom. Good for all parties involved.

Reactions: MessierII

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t mind this as a 1 year deal.

oilers weakness was defending and goaltending last year though. No improvements there yet.

I think our biggest problem was scoring outside of the big 3 and Yamamoto at evens. Barrie may be a huge addition in that regard while Turris, Ennis, Puljujarvi are all big improvments since last Christmas in terms of depth IMO. Barrie playing in heavy offensive situations with a strong defensive guy like Russell might work really well. The fact the his old team, an elite club in the NHL, wanted him back is a good sign too. Barrie is a dangerous guy and an elite offensive defenseman, a lesser Karlsson. The Oilers should be able to get offense from more places and I think that's very helpful.

I agree defending was an issue but largely because we defend too much and I think these guys Holland has added up front will help us defend less. Goaltending wasn't a huge problem, Smith could've been better but I honestly think his puck moving is good enough that he's an effective player with a mediocre save percentage. Koskinen was good and based on what goalies were getting as UFA's even this year in a flat cap I think he's actually reasonable value. I think he's had to adjust to NA and the conditioning needed to be in the NHL, I think he's ready to give the Oilers 50 games. A veteran back up or a trade for say Kuemper might be a good option.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Barrie is not a top pairing defenseman

Barrie takes immense pressure off our developing D like Bear, Broberg, Bouchard and Jones and reduces their minutes and gives them a beauty D to look and observe. Of course all will grow the offensive and jump dimensions of their games which are already pretty good. But a D like Barrie, and elite skill D, is essential in modeling young D. This is a very astute add.

Barrie directly doesnt solve all our D prolems but he's miles better than any vet D we have in teaching the young D several aspects of their game. The D can get the rest from a guy like Tippett.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Looks like Zadorov was his main partner for most of the year. Toronto didn't really have a guy like that, but Nurse could fit the role.

If Klef is playing next season, I still think that's the best fit, but if not I would be somewhat curious to see

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Bear
Russell-Larsson

Please god no. You can't have two offensive black holes playing with each other. Is this your shutdown pairing? Who advances the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->