Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
One year deal and if Hamilton is available next season we can go hard after him. If Hamilton isn't available and Barrie fits in great we can keep him around.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Lol God..this doesn't improve our defense but welcome Barrie....
My projections.....
Players listed at because of injuries as well.

Nurse - Bear
Russel/jones - Barrie
Broberg/Russel/Jones - Larsson /Bouchard

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Leafs fan here. This is a good no risk pick up for you.

He's not as bad as some Leaf fans say (that's not saying much). He's good when the puck is on his stick, he's mediocre at best when it's not.

I think he's a net positive player, but he will frustruate you at times.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He will do well as long as expectations about his game style are tempered. He is not a solid stalwart dman but he is very much what this team has needed for ages, that being a legit excellent pp dman.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If this goes through Ken Holland has used his cap space and remaining draft picks well enough for me to forgive him to the Athanasiou f*** up. He clearly did the right thing letting him go and keeping Ennis for dirt cheap while getting quality veterans at discounts. The Oilers have a veteran impact offensive Dman for the first time since Visnovsky. This will help our secondary scoring a ton.

Bouchard as 4th D makes the right side, although lacking a bonafide top pairing option, very strong and deep with the ability to have an ideal player out in all situations. Klefbom is a big loss but I think Jones-Larsson, Russell-Barrie is strong enough to make up for it. It's a deep and varied defense and it should allow Klefbom all the time he needs and perhaps the Oilers some LTIR space to make a splash a little later on in free agency.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
One year deal and if Hamilton is available next season we can go hard after him. If Hamilton isn't available and Barrie fits in great we can keep him around.

My thinking exactly, a lot of my thinking is for the 2021-22 season and if Barrie comes out and shows a strong performance, that gives us options.

Reactions: B33K33PING

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Hopefully some of his offence rubs off on the kids too. He will be a great example of how to do what Klef and Nurse have been average at.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Holland is a f***ing genius.

This is what the world is like when you actually have a plausible GM.

"The price you pay" to get a D that is miles better than Adam Larsson and instantly becomes our top D. We give up nothing for this player, and we get him at a good price.

I mean really, this is great right?

We instantly have a more dangerous PP and it was already really good but our weakness if there was one on the PP was the point.

The only concern I have with Barrie is GA and people can weigh in on whether that is indicative or a factor of really difficult minutes and D pairing problems.

I'm loving this one!

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
for whatever reason he never clicked with Babcock and the Leafs...got a little better under Keefe

I think he could easily bounce back
I think eventually he will improve under tippet's system...and he will be used more 'sparingly' than in TO....but i wouldnt get to attached to this guy...and i wouldnt rush to sell Larsson now unless your getting back something more long term and a key part.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So stoked!! We finally have an offensive dman! Been waiting for a guy like this since Whitney left the org. How many points does Barrie get here? 60, 70, 80?

Looks like Zadorov was his main partner for most of the year. Toronto didn't really have a guy like that, but Nurse could fit the role.

If Klef is playing next season, I still think that's the best fit, but if not I would be somewhat curious to see

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Bear
Russell-Larsson

Reactions: Raab

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think if I had to describe what I think of this one...

50/50. I like elements of the fit and term and deal, I don't like elements of the fit.

50/50 is better than disliking a deal.

Reactions: Anarchism
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->