Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm a big fan of Barrie, he was elite offensively in Colorado. I'll take 40 points in a down year, and I trust Tippett to put him in the right position to be successful. Should see a lot of offensive zone starts with McDavid/Draisaitl on the ice.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
At first blush, this is an excellent value contract. We all know Barrie is 100% 1-dimensional so it’ll be interesting to see how Tippett handles his minutes and pairings. Klefbom leaves such a monster hole on the left side I wonder if Larsson goes somewhere for a similar LH D.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Defensively he was a train wreck in Toronto but he could bounce back and that’s exactly what he’s looking to do, betting on him self to rebound in Edmonton and he will get on that top PP with McDAvid and Drai, so his mind is in the right place. Defensively he can’t be any worse and is motivated to be better and offensively, well he’s going to light it up. 60 points is not out of the question.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Barrie
Jones-Larsson

Each line has some puck moving ability, and atleast one decent defender. Along with a vet to insulate the young guys or in Barries case, the new guy. One of Russells biggest downfalls is he can't get the puck out of the zone, but he is pretty good at limiting shots especially in chaotic situations with his puck blocking ability, and Barrie being able to retrieve and push it out of the zone will help him out.

No real top pairing, but I think its good enough for a playoff spot if Tippet can utilize each to their strengths and utilize who is doing well each night.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
This is most likely what I would like to see as well. Keep Lagesson as the #7.
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Barrie
Jones-Larsson

Each line has some puck moving ability, and atleast one decent defender. Along with a vet to insulate the young guys or in Barries case, the new guy. One of Russells biggest downfalls is he can't get the puck out of the zone, but he is pretty good at limiting shots especially in chaotic situations with his puck blocking ability, and Barrie being able to retrieve and push it out of the zone will help him out.

No real top pairing, but I think its good enough for a playoff spot if Tippet can utilize each to their strengths and utilize who is doing well each night.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Yep. Whine.

Fantastic signing.

More just reality, he is a very talented offensive D-man who is going to thrive with McDavid/Drai in the offensive zone and probably has a big-time productive season that he can leap into 2021 UFA with to try to get a long-term deal with more money.

He is also a fairly bad defensive player. His 5v5 goal output was around 49% but it's usually slightly higher than that because he does have such a positive impact on Corsi For/Goals For. He generally lets up a lot of chances against in the slot though with a high rate of overall chances against. Overall it's the kind of guy who as I said, gets 60 points, and is at fault for a ton of goals against. He'll certainly help our puckmoving and PP after he gains chemistry. He absolutely doesn't replace Klefbom, but he makes the team a more fun rollercoaster for sure.

I'm sorry you get upset from critical analysis.

Also you have to at least love the term. One year is nothing considering this could be a wonky year.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Could absolutely see Larsson (and maybe Russell) traded now.

Jones - Barrie
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Larsson

Is this a good enough 6...maybe Broberg or Bouchard in the mix?
Poor Jones....

Maybe ...Nurse Bear
Jones Larsson
Russell Barrie

Need to get Barrie's minute down from 22 a game to more like 17 ...more offensive situations...

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I don’t mind this as a 1 year deal.

oilers weakness was defending and goaltending last year though. No improvements there yet.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This thread looks to be premature. No official confirmation yet.

If the deal does go through as reported, who do we expose to Seattle? Right now it has to be one of klefbom, nurse, bear or Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad