Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Swedish FA LHD Theodor Lennstrom (1-year, 2-way, 925K)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wonder if this was a Nygard recommendation?

Does this mean Russell is done? Why would Lennstrom come over to play AHL?

because it’s basically now or never, and we’ve got tons of Swedish dmen (6 now?) on the team/in the system, so he should be pretty comfortable around the guys

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Lagesson has not graduated. Our LHD should be Jones/Klefbom/Nurse by far. Jones looked better than Klefbom/Nurse down the stretch. There is no way this guy is overtaking any of those three. This means he is starting in the AHL and gives us another option moving forward if we decide to trade a LHD or there are injuries.

I don't see a NHL player in Willy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo like Persson, Lennstrom will get some NHL time. How we handled Persson and others like him is probably a big reason why Lennstrom agreed to sign.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lagesson has not graduated. Our LHD should be Jones/Klefbom/Nurse by far. Jones looked better than Klefbom/Nurse down the stretch. There is no way this guy is overtaking any of those three. This means he is starting in the AHL and gives us another option moving forward if we decide to trade a LHD or there are injuries.

I don't see a NHL player in Willy.
Lagesson is a good call up candidate. A good team has 2 or 3 NHL ready Dmen in the farm system. Pop quiz: when was the last season where Oilers played less than 10 Dmen? It certainly wasn't in recent past.
The new guy signed to showcase his skills to Oilers this season and rest of the GMs for next. He isn't overtaking Russell or Jones and will be fighting Samourkov and Lagesson for call up rights.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Lagesson is a good call up candidate. A good team has 2 or 3 NHL ready Dmen in the farm system. Pop quiz: when was the last season where Oilers played less than 10 Dmen? It certainly wasn't in recent past.
The new guy signed to showcase his skills to Oilers this season and rest of the GMs for next. He isn't overtaking Russell or Jones and will be fighting Samourkov and Lagesson for call up rights.

Lagesson could stick in the NHL as the 7th/8th dman, if Edmonton finds a trade partner for Russell. I think they like Russell to finish off this season as a veteran presence, but have seen enough from Jones and Lagesson that they'll be willing to move on from him if they find a taker and save a little money.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

2016-17 was okay as only 8 defense played more than 4 games, but that's definitely an anomoly. This year only 8 played more than 9 games, before it stopped, so a common thread seems to be you need at least 8 to play significant time well. If you need to rely on 9-11 you probably won't be having much success unless you are rediculously deep.

I like Lagesson as that 7th or 8th guy if they find a taker for Russell. He's a luxury as the 9th.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Does this mean Russell is done? Why would Lennstrom come over to play AHL?

At best Lennstrom might be a bottom pairing D man, He would need to learn the NA game and he would need to do that in the farm

I think the Oilers learned from Haas last year that European need time to adjust to the NA style and that is on the farm

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Lennstrom likely serves as the swing guy between Bakersfield and Edmonton if/when the need arises.

I think it’s fairly clear Russell will/should be move this offseason, and Klefbom, Nurse, Jones, and Lagesson will be the LD for the year, as the latter two lost their waiver exceptions.

Lennstrom gives you an established pro to call up if injuries hit, and keep Lagesson’s seat warm and his motivation high. Plus this let’s you for sure keep Samorukov and Niemelainen on the farm for the season, unless you want to deliberately give one of them a cup of coffee to reward good play.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Need righties in Bako. If Bouchard graduates that leaves Day(MAB 2.0) who isn’t NHL capable.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
not sure how you could deduce he's better than joel persson based on stat line. persson had essentially double the points in the same league at the same age.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
not sure how you could deduce he's better than joel persson based on stat line. persson had essentially double the points in the same league at the same age.
Probably by watching him.

that poster was spot on about perssons issues last year.

this guys skating is multitudes better than persson.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad