Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Raphael Lavoie...

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Ralphio Lavoie

giphy.gif

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
My gut tells me he is going to break a lot of hearts

Why? Because his stats from playoffs last year into this season are inflating expectations?

He has a very nice frame, early scouting criticisms about his acceleration seem commonplace for guys of his size and they often look slower than they are. Maybe he lacks some tenacity night-to-night? But his playoff performance was outstanding...

Based on raw stats (which of course is where a lot of poor analysis comes from on HFBoards), he is widely outperforming his draft number.

I’m just curious what criticism actually holds weight at this point? People seem to have appreciated his 2-way contributions in limited ice time for the WJC championship. I don’t doubt that he will have some struggles transitioning to pro, as do 90% of prospects, but I also get the impression that his weaknesses are overstated. We all drooled over Puljujarvi’s fit as a top RW, but he has had exactly one stretch of goal scoring prowess in his career (WJC tournament with Aho and Laine), whereas Raphael seems to be a regular lamplighter, even if his skating is behind Puljujarvi— skating isn’t everything. They have the same frame, but Puljujarvi might be more of a Paajarvi while Raphael could be more of a Neal (which was a good thing at one point).

So what’s your take?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
THe Oilers have been pretty bad drafting in the 2nd round. Was there one successful pick there since Stoll? But maybe things are changing. It looks like both Bear and Jones will be useful players.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
my gut tells me he will be just a step slow for the NHL

Did you watch him at the WJC? Or junior?

Certainly not a speedster but I thought his skating woes overblown at those levels. Nhl may be different of course but I don't think skating is as much a concern as I thought it might be prior to watching.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Did you watch him at the WJC? Or junior?

Certainly not a speedster but I thought his skating woes overblown at those levels. Nhl may be different of course but I don't think skating is as much a concern as I thought it might be prior to watching.

He reminds me of Neal. The kid is 6-4 and takes big strides and I think he might have trouble adapting to the NHL quick start, stops, spins and adjust

from what I have seen he looks like a Clydesdale

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yamamoto always had speed--the question for him was being able to put up with NHL physical nature
if that really was the concern, then it was always misplaced. The modern NHL is very kind to smaller players.

I seem to recall many making comment about his skating speed. And really, when I think of Yamamoto's strengths, it's not really that he is blazing fast. It's more about quickness in short spaces, smart puck decisios, and tenacious forechecking (focused on the puck)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He reminds me of Neal. The kid is 6-4 and takes big strides and I think he might have trouble adapting to the NHL quick start, stops, spins and adjust

from what I have seen he looks like a Clydesdale

I think of Neal with him as well. Neal was an effective nhl player/skater through his prime anyways.

Obviously more Neal than Draisaitl but his stride reminds me of Draisaitl a bit too.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
if that really was the concern, then it was always misplaced. The modern NHL is very kind to smaller players.

I seem to recall many making comment about his skating speed. And really, when I think of Yamamoto's strengths, it's not really that he is blazing fast. It's more about quickness in short spaces, smart puck decisios, and tenacious forechecking (focused on the puck)

He’s not really “smaller players” though, he’s more like smallest player. So I think it is reasonable that people had concerns.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
A good signing. Like many people there are some question marks with Lavoie but he seems to be doing well at the junior level, he could have gone higher in the draft for sure he's worth signing, developing, and seeing if he can make the transition to the pros.
RaphaelLavoie3.jpg

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
With what everyone is saying in this thread, I know from experience, that those player expected to go high, and falls on draftday - there is often a reason to it. A few exceptions is likes of P.K Subban, M.Barzal (if 15 ranks as a faller...) it actually doesnt...).

So with this player, I just lower my expectations. But its though, His strength is everything you want in a linemate to McDavid...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad