Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It was a major contributing factor. Talbot played like crap.

Agreed. I dont like piling on talbot. But the difference between the two seasons is talbot was able to go lights out while the team figured out how to compete and then stayed average to above average as things ramped up.

Then last year was below average all year. While the team also struggled. He had them playing catchup too often as well. It was an uphill battle as a result.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Talbot is human. He took a look at an Oilers team scoring multiples of 0,1, 2 goal run support and it impacted him. The real issue last season was that a team with McD, Drai, Nuge as Centers wasn't scoring. That the team lacked any scoring winger depth that was getting it done. Its my take that the lack of scoring impacted first. The goaltending struggles were a response to that. Even look at the Oilers first game won only because McD scores ALL 3 goals in a 3-0 Win against Calgary in a game in which you would have figured his life was at stake. Nobody else scored. Look at the goal totals early in season. Oilers not scoring was central to their plight. The nervousness of knowing you can't let in any goal and win is a response to that.

Run support is important for pitchers, for goalies. We should be able to have some.

Agree that run support is critical, however Talbot let in the first or second shot in something like 15 games last year......in today's NHL when teams who score first win like 70% of the time that is simply not good enough.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I love the Koskinen signing. There's a clear mandate this year: create competition. For example there are like 4 guys who could potentially play in the top 2 RW slots and the team is just going to make sure everyone knows that if their play falls off, they're out of those spots. And this always makes guys play better. Same with the goalie position... you always run faster when there's a maneating tiger at your heels.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I love the Koskinen signing. There's a clear mandate this year: create competition. For example there are like 4 guys who could potentially play in the top 2 RW slots and the team is just going to make sure everyone knows that if their play falls off, they're out of those spots. And this always makes guys play better. Same with the goalie position... you always run faster when there's a maneating tiger at your heels.

One problem though that I mentioned in another thread on the Oilers new coaching systems is that neither Talbot or Koskinen is a puck handler. We're planning on fast breakouts but we lack the one thing that aids in fast breakouts. With some teams the goalie is so effective corralling dumped pucks and setting it up for, or moving it to D that it really aids getting the puck out before the forecheck arrives. The Oilers don't have that. As much as I like Talbot he's limited in puck handling. From reports and what I've seen Koskinen is no better at it and certainly hasn't faced anything like the ferociousness of an NHL forecheck.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yep, I love the acquisition but hate the dollar amount. I fully agree with your "team competition" statement though. Look at how lackadaisical Dubnyk was when he had Labarbera as his backup. The same could be said with Talbot and Gustavsson (although short lived) and Brossoit. Talbot finally got going his first season here when Anders Nilsson started stealing starts from him. Yes Koskinen comes with a lot of question marks and uncertainty but he sure as hell won't be worse than what the Oilers have had the past two or three seasons in the backup role.

I'm hoping Koskinen pans out and can start (and complete) 20-23 games this season to give Talbot some rest, mentally and physically, barring injury to Talbot. With Talbot in a contract year, I can also see him returning to a top 10 goalie level of play for that next deal.

I can't see the Oilers running a 3-headed goalie monster...I hope Chiarelli can pawn off Montoya at full value and get his contract off the books, even if it's a "player to be named later" deal. That extra million will be needed to sign Nurse and a 14th forward prior to camp next month.

Edit: Drivesaitl makes a solid point about their puck handling skills (or lack thereof).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Montoya is likely to be kept as the vet in the AHL while the younger goalies there get starts. Starrett/Wells/Skinner really aren't options as callups if an injury hits either of Talbot/Koskinen seeing as those three G have 3 games of AHL combined experience at this point.

Reactions: Shane Goudie

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
One problem though that I mentioned in another thread on the Oilers new coaching systems is that neither Talbot or Koskinen is a puck handler. We're planning on fast breakouts but we lack the one thing that aids in fast breakouts. With some teams the goalie is so effective corralling dumped pucks and setting it up for, or moving it to D that it really aids getting the puck out before the forecheck arrives. The Oilers don't have that. As much as I like Talbot he's limited in puck handling. From reports and what I've seen Koskinen is no better at it and certainly hasn't faced anything like the ferociousness of an NHL forecheck.

I agree with you but also would like to see Edmonton goalies to their primary task first - stop the puck.

Just how many games we let the first shot in? I lost count somewhere 7-8. That’s going to make the bench shivering every time it happens.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I agree with you but also would like to see Edmonton goalies to their primary task first - stop the puck.

Just how many games we let the first shot in? I lost count somewhere 7-8. That’s going to make the bench shivering every time it happens.

It was thirteen times by March 4, 20% of their games at that point, way higher than the 9% you'd expect. Take that down to 9%, fix the special teams, and we're in the playoffs IMHO.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was thirteen times by March 4, 20% of their games at that point, way higher than the 9% you'd expect. Take that down to 9%, fix the special teams, and we're in the playoffs IMHO.

But this is the point I've always made in relation. basically that 9-10% of shots go in. So in an 82 game schedule the reasonable expectation would be around 9 games with first shot going in. Just on average. if you got 13 that means only 4 results deviation from average. The Oilers missed the playoffs by 18pts. So that even assuming if those first goals don't go in we win all of those then its a mere difference of 8pts, and that as well assuming we had lost all those games and didn't have pts in any of them. Anyway theres no real way to analyze other than looking at the 13 game sample and what occurred specifically in those games. I'm not sure those specific results have been broken down.

In anycase a large part of the analysis of "wow all these first shots are going in" ignored that the actual deviation from normal, i.e. around 4 games, on a whole season, was slight. Basically a bit of a statistical aberration, factor in a team that starts games poorly, that allows dangerous first shots or chances and its not too out of the ordinary what occurred.

ps I'm using the number 13 because I am not aware of any games in which first shot went in subsequent to march 4.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Anybody able to watch this game? Curious to hear a report on his play.
I watched it. Koskinen pitched a shutout. He doesn't look to be the most agile goalie I have ever seen, though I wouldn't say it was a weakness either, but his size lets him cover a ton of net. He spends a lot of time down in the butterfly but is tall enough that he leaves little room for the shooter. He outplayed Talbot in this game, but obviously you can't take much from one game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I watched it. Koskinen pitched a shutout. He doesn't look to be the most agile goalie I have ever seen, though I wouldn't say it was a weakness either, but his size lets him cover a ton of net. He spends a lot of time down in the butterfly but is tall enough that he leaves little room for the shooter. He outplayed Talbot in this game, but obviously you can't take much from one game.

For sure...I agree.
I was actually hoping that he was more of an angles goalie instead of a goalie that relies on athletic ability and reaction time. Especially with his massive frame.
Appreciate the update.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For sure...I agree.
I was actually hoping that he was more of an angles goalie instead of a goalie that relies on athletic ability and reaction time. Especially with his massive frame.
Appreciate the update.
He is one of those goalies that just fills the net and doesn't really..do much? Heavily relies on his side and positioning so I feel like he is one of those goalies that will stop all the easy shots easily but will get deked out of his pants numerous times a game on the smaller ice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He is one of those goalies that just fills the net and doesn't really..do much? Heavily relies on his side and positioning so I feel like he is one of those goalies that will stop all the easy shots easily but will get deked out of his pants numerous times a game on the smaller ice.

I see this the opposite to how you see it. A positional goalie is less likely to get deked.
Positional goalies tend to play quieter in net.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The only thing that scares me is the new chest protector. Seems like it's something that can hurt the less agile guys. Might take him some time getting use to it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Legit question, wondering if you guys think this goaltender will get his fair share of starts? Assuming it’s on the condition that Talbot struggles?

Asking for my deep fantasy pool. Was considering taking a flier on this guy, especially if he has huge potential of breaking out with your team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Legit question, wondering if you guys think this goaltender will get his fair share of starts? Assuming it’s on the condition that Talbot struggles?

Asking for my deep fantasy pool. Was considering taking a flier on this guy, especially if he has huge potential of breaking out with your team.
Probably save to assume there's might be a possibility.

Reactions: Las Llamas

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Hard question to answer honestly. TM hasnt managed his goalie starts that well since hes coached Edmonton. He has played Talbot into the ground. To TM's credit, he hasnt had great backups really to play. Someone like Brossoit did not inspire confidence on this team. I understood it more 2 years ago when Talbot was playing well but last year after the season had already been lost, I didnt like the way he handled Talbot.

I think ultimately it probably depends on how Talbot/Koskinen plays. I think the fact that both are UFA (teams not tied to a contract) and the fact that Koskinen makes good money, he might get more starts than backups have in previous years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Las Llamas

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hard question to answer honestly. TM hasnt managed his goalie starts that well since hes coached Edmonton. He has played Talbot into the ground. To TM's credit, he hasnt had great backups really to play. Someone like Brossoit did not inspire confidence on this team. I understood it more 2 years ago when Talbot was playing well but last year after the season had already been lost, I didnt like the way he handled Talbot.

I think ultimately it probably depends on how Talbot/Koskinen plays. I think the fact that both are UFA (teams not tied to a contract) and the fact that Koskinen makes good money, he might get more starts than backups have in previous years.

So very likely he becomes a 1B?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Should be interesting how things play out. For all we know you found yourself your legit starter for the next 6-7 years. Anything can happen. Thanks for the timely responses. Enjoy the prospects game tonight.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
We're over the 40 page limit. I'll have to close this. If anyone wants to start up a new thread about him, feel free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad