Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Mike Smith to 1-Year Deal ($2M)

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

718B8F88-83A6-4B21-A79D-498C8E7C48E0.jpeg

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So much for the ridiculous idea that Holland has a plan to upgrade the team as the season goes on...

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Oh well. There's not much left out there and it's only 1 year. He's not going to make or break next season. The team still has a long way to go. But even then. EDM with him just this past season were in a playoff spot. I can live with this. Holland just doesn't have much money to do anything. :(

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So much for the ridiculous idea that Holland has a plan to upgrade the team as the season goes on...
Agreed, he shouldn’t of upgraded the team in the offseason so he could save room to do it during the season.

do you ever read some of the shit you type?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why? This is a move with an eye to upgrade the team in net. If Holland buries Smith for the entire season it is only a $425K cap hit. Pretty manageable if a better deal for a goalie comes along.

Ah ok, I see, so the NTC is kinda worthless in a way.

I'm sure he'd rather play on an NHL team than be playing for Bakersfield and probably ending his NHL career that way.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oh well. There's not much left out there and it's only 1 year. He's not going to make or break next season. The team still has a long way to go. But even then. EDM with him just this past season were in a playoff spot. I can live with this. Holland just doesn't have much money to do anything. :(

A lousy old goalie is not going to make or break the year? Tending often makes or breaks seasons, i think koskinen is lousy to medicore but one knee tweak and smith is our starter.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Both our goalies lost the series. I remember a lot of tip ins on kosk. Goalies who can move and challenge stop most of those.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
He's got playoff bonuses? Ugh. Guess who's starting game 1 next year.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I'm with the majority that this was not my top choice. Now that it's done I just hope that we can have the Smith that showed up for the second half of the season that played very well. That being said i'm still have flashbacks of him coming out to play the puck in that first game against Chicago and my son sitting beside me yelling at the TV for him to (Get back in your net, what are you doing!) and then Chicago scoring mere seconds later.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Matt Murray will be Pascal Leclerc 2.0 in Ottawa me thinks
Ya could very well be. I can’t tell if he will be good or bad...... Also depends how much the Sens defense helps him out. On paper, OttAwa has a growing team that should compete but we will see what happens.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just going to casually bump this thread. Hasn't played a second of hockey and already this is a disaster. In a season where many of the GM's signings haven't panned out this is.... Another one.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Amongst goalies who played at least 5 games, Mike Smith leads the league in save % @ 0.944, and 2nd in GAA @1.73 (next to flower)

He's also technically undefeated at 6-0 (Kosk took an L for him, but still officially unbeaten)

The goalie that everyone wanted (including myself) during off-season, the Stanley cup champ that snubbed us, Brayden Holtby, ranks amongst the worst in the league, ranking 42nd in save %, and 51st in GAA. This is out of 55 goalies who played at least 5 games
Who would've predicted this scenario

Comes back into the lineup after a freak injury, and completely changes the dynamic of the room. The Mike Smith effect

NHL Stats

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Anyone know what his injury was? My bet is a surgical complication post soul transfer, where his identity and being was transplanted through time and space with 1999 Dominik Hasek.

Reactions: Gh0st and Keggatron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad