Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Mike Smith to 1-Year Deal ($2M)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
“was” is the operative word.
Holland tried for apparently all of them. They went for Markstrom but he wanted to much and went to Calgary.

Khidobin stayed in Dallas. Holtby didn't want to play in Alberta.

Greiss came in to expensive (wouldn't be able to afford Barrie)

I'd be more upset if there was still good guys available and still went to Smith but there wasn't. He tried and they went elsewhere.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Greiss, Khudobin
You mean Khidobin who quickly decided to stay with Dallas, the team he got to the finals with. Or Greiss who decided to take the money and go to Detroit which would of prevented us from signing Barrie and is a risky guy because he has only had good numbers playing behind an incredible defensive team.

He went for clear improvements who were worth their money and they went elsewhere.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Holland tried for apparently all of them. They went for Markstrom but he wanted to much and went to Calgary.

Khidobin stayed in Dallas. Holtby didn't want to play in Alberta.

Greiss came in to expensive (wouldn't be able to afford Barrie)

I'd be more upset if there was still good guys available and still went to Smith but there wasn't. He tried and they went elsewhere.

You mean Khidobin who quickly decided to stay with Dallas, the team he got to the finals with. Or Greiss who decided to take the money and go to Detroit which would of prevented us from signing Barrie and is a risky guy because he has only had good numbers playing behind an incredible defensive team.

He went for clear improvements who were worth their money and they went elsewhere.

I think we spent too much time dwelling on Markstrom when we could’ve been wooing others.

Greiss likely only came in at $3.6 because DET intends for him to be their starter. Whether or not he would’ve went to a team to be a backup is unknown.

The fact is I probably would have even taken Howard, Talbot or Crawford over Smith. I’m genuinely concerned about the Tippet-Smith connection and that it’s gonna lose us games next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we spent too much time dwelling on Markstrom when we could’ve been wooing others.

Greiss likely only came in at $3.6 because DET intends for him to be their starter. Whether or not he would’ve went to a team to be a backup is unknown.

The fact is I probably would have even taken Howard, Talbot or Crawford over Smith. I’m genuinely concerned about the Tippet-Smith connection and that it’s gonna lose us games next year.
At the end of the day we won more games with Smith than we lost. It's definitely not ideal. I don't think Greiss would of taken less to come here.

Howard has been worse than Smith for a while now, Talbot at 3.6 mill is disgusting and would actually of prevented us from making other moves. Crawford is interesting but his injury problems and our lack of a good third tier goalie is extremely worrisome as well. That and 3.9 mill would of sucked too.

At the end of the day we hope Koskinen steps up and Smith plays less games.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

So you’d rather any of those 3 goalies over having Barrie?

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

Where do you come up with this?

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Greiss was two years. No thanks. Same with all these other goalies that were the one that got away. All likely not as good as Koskinen, so although they'd be nice, it's not worth using all this cap for this year AND next.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Greiss was two years. No thanks. Same with all these other goalies that were the one that got away. All likely not as good as Koskinen, so although they'd be nice, it's not worth using all this cap for this year AND next.

Okay but what is our backup goalie/1B plan for next year?

It’s still something we need to address as there’s nobody internally who can fill that role.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At the end of the day we won more games with Smith than we lost. It's definitely not ideal. I don't think Greiss would of taken less to come here.

Howard has been worse than Smith for a while now, Talbot at 3.6 mill is disgusting and would actually of prevented us from making other moves. Crawford is interesting but his injury problems and our lack of a good third tier goalie is extremely worrisome as well. That and 3.9 mill would of sucked too.

At the end of the day we hope Koskinen steps up and Smith plays less games.

.917 is quite good for Kosk. I'll be fine of he can maintain that.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Okay but what is our backup goalie/1B plan for next year?

It’s still something we need to address as there’s nobody internally who can fill that role.

Konovalov could be ready by next season. Or maybe Skinner or Rodrigue?

Reactions: Aerchon

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I would like to agree, but outside of Konovalov nobody else has shown any inclination of being able to play 30 NHL games.

Skinner had a rough year last year and Rodrigue literally got his first professional win yesterday.

Unless something drastic happens I don’t see any of those 3 donning Oilers silks for a while.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I was thinking the same thing and it may be the reason that Holland didn't go wild in terms of pursuing another goalie.

From what I have read, this guy is the best young goaltending prospect the team has had in years. Is that your take on it as well?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I was thinking the same thing and it may be the reason that Holland didn't go wild in terms of pursuing another goalie.

From what I have read, this guy is the best young goaltending prospect the team has had in years. Is that your take on it as well?

I don't know a lot about the KHL but from what I've seen of him he looks legit. He also has proven he can play in a pro league. Skinner and Rodrigue have more to prove. I think Konovalov is at least a backup. The bit about him being too small is overblown IMO, but maybe that keeps him from being more than a tandem goalie.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

Howard should not be mentioned as he doesnt belong in the league anymore.

He was 2-23-2 last season with .882 sv%and giving up 4.2 goals per game.

Yes, his team was terrible, but detroits other goalie bernier who is nothing special at least went 15-22-3 with a .907 sv%and 2.95 goals against average.

Detroit was bad anyways but howard single handedly assured theyd be worst in league

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't know a lot about the KHL but from what I've seen of him he looks legit. He also has proven he can play in a pro league. Skinner and Rodrigue have more to prove. I think Konovalov is at least a backup. The bit about him being too small is overblown IMO, but maybe that keeps him from being more than a tandem goalie.

Yes, 5'11'" in today's NHL is small but I note that our 2 current goaltenders are large monsters and some nights they can't stop a beachball. One of them beat up Cam Talbot so I guess that counts for something.

Kon has a consistent GSA of around 92% in the World's 2nd best league so you have to like that.

Sooner or later our luck has to change wrt goaltending picks.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You know what would be funny? If Markstrom was ready to sign in Calgary, 5M x 6, but Holland went in with 5M x 7 forcing Calgary to up their bid to 6M x 6. Then Holland goes and signs Smith at a fraction of the cost and risk and Smith ends up outplaying Markstrom. Goalies are so voodoo, Smith can get hot, it's a possibility this happens and will be a huge and hilarious win over the Flamers.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Not a huge fan of re-signing Smith, especially since Barrie is going to replace him as being the best puck distributor from the back.

Still, I like everything else Holland has done this offseason, so I’m hoping that Koskinen can play more games and Smith ends up being a backup instead of goalie 1B.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I don’t mean to be cynical, but often goalie prospects are no better than Lottery tickets.

Typically (unless they are generational a la Price or Hart) most goalies don’t even get into the league until the age of 25. And even after they make the jump there’s no guarantee that they can have and maintain success at the NHL level.

Look at Schneider. He put up 4 seasons in VAN that and 3 seasons in NJ had an average SV% of over .920

Then all of a sudden in 16-17 he forgot how to stop the puck and never figured it out again.

This is why typically long term goalie contracts blow up in the face of the team making them.

Markstrom is a massive risk imo. He’s only had one season above .915

When it comes to prospects we have our own cautionary tale in Devan Dubnyk.

Be optimistic but don’t over anticipate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->