Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Mike Smith: 1 Year @2.0 with bonuses

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
THIRD STAR – MIKE SMITH, G, EDMONTON OILERS
Smith stopped 74 of the 76 shots he faced, compiling a 2-0-0 record, 0.98 goals-against average and .974 save percentage to backstop the Pacific Division-leading Oilers (10-4-1, 21 points) to a pair of wins in three starts. Smith turned aside 23 shots in a 4-1 triumph over the Columbus Blue Jackets Oct. 30. He then made 51 stops, his third career 50-save performance, in a 2-1 overtime victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins Nov. 2. The other two: April 3, 2012 vs. CBJ (54 SV/54 SA) and Dec. 3, 2016 vs. CBJ (58 SV/60 SA). The 37-year-old Kingston, Ont., native has played in nine total games this season, ranking fifth in the NHL with a 2.12 goals-against average and seventh with a .931 save percentage to go along with a 5-3-1 record.

Nov4Stars-04114147.png

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
THIRD STAR – MIKE SMITH, G, EDMONTON OILERS
Smith stopped 74 of the 76 shots he faced, compiling a 2-0-0 record, 0.98 goals-against average and .974 save percentage to backstop the Pacific Division-leading Oilers (10-4-1, 21 points) to a pair of wins in three starts. Smith turned aside 23 shots in a 4-1 triumph over the Columbus Blue Jackets Oct. 30. He then made 51 stops, his third career 50-save performance, in a 2-1 overtime victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins Nov. 2. The other two: April 3, 2012 vs. CBJ (54 SV/54 SA) and Dec. 3, 2016 vs. CBJ (58 SV/60 SA). The 37-year-old Kingston, Ont., native has played in nine total games this season, ranking fifth in the NHL with a 2.12 goals-against average and seventh with a .931 save percentage to go along with a 5-3-1 record.

Nov4Stars-04114147.png
NDNPbw6.gif

lol calgary

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Can't believe I have to cheer for this POS. Hopefully he gets 25 shutouts.

Ok bud, absolutely out to lunch with the 25 shutouts comment. Moron. :cool::cool::cool:

Smith has been a lot better than advertised so far along with the other ex-Flame, Neal. He helps out our D so much in terms of puck retrieval and moving the puck up the ice. If we could combine our goalies, we would be unbeatable.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ok bud, absolutely out to lunch with the 25 shutouts comment. Moron. :cool::cool::cool:

Smith has been a lot better than advertised so far along with the other ex-Flame, Neal. He helps out our D so much in terms of puck retrieval and moving the puck up the ice. If we could combine our goalies, we would be unbeatable.

Split personality disorder???

Reactions: The Oiler

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Bump. Another one of Holland’s low key moves that has been critical to our success. Doesn’t always look the prettiest in style, but the man gets it done. I think the boys like playing in front of someone vocal and with a fire in his belly. For a guy that gets shit on constantly, we wouldn’t be where we are today without him.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
When Smith expires this off-season it'll be a critical point to see if Holland learned from anything that blew up in his face in Detroit.

If he's able to sign Smith for a small pay increase (preferably similar bonus structure oriented) for 1-2 years, it'll be clear that Holland learned from some of the signings he made in DET.

However, this reeks of Holland willing to reward a veteran player for good play by giving him too much money and too much term.

Hopefully he sticks to the former rather than the latter.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
When Smith expires this off-season it'll be a critical point to see if Holland learned from anything that blew up in his face in Detroit.

If he's able to sign Smith for a small pay increase (preferably similar bonus structure oriented) for 1-2 years, it'll be clear that Holland learned from some of the signings he made in DET.

However, this reeks of Holland willing to reward a veteran player for good play by giving him too much money and too much term.

Anything more than a year is a mistake. Getting too old for a multi year deal. I would prefer that we find a taker for Kosko in a trade, and sign someone like a Lehner who is a true starter, and then maybe bring back Smith as his backup, or even look elsewhere for a backup.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Smith's 37. I doubt Holland will give him a deal over 1-2 years.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Anything more than a year is a mistake. Getting too old for a multi year deal. I would prefer that we find a taker for Kosko in a trade, and sign someone like a Lehner who is a true starter, and then maybe bring back Smith as his backup, or even look elsewhere for a backup.

Can confirm, however I can probably imagine Smith playing another 3 years at a minimum. So that's why I said a 2 year deal at a similar AAV wouldn't cripple the team, but would keep Smith and his agent happy.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Mith Smith has the best playoff save% of any goalie in history that has played more than 5 playoff games. He has 3 good games now, I hope he will be best when it matters.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'd be very surprised if he's not back with the Oil next season, he will sign another 1 yr deal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
if his bonus puts us over the cap, one way to cure it for the short term is to give him another contract with a lot of bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->