Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Kevin Gravel (D) 1 year, 700K

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Kings fan visiting here.

I saw Gravel play several times (2016-17 season) at Ontario and he was basically a stud at the AHL level.

The Crohn's did weaken him at start of last season, but he recovered and played fairly well later on.

He should be a solid 3rd-pair guy if given the chance. May have potential to be top 4, in time (?).

Assuming the Crohn's is under control, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's been about as good as you can expect any bottom-pairing guy to be. Ideal player in that spot. I thought he looked solid early on in the season and never understood why Todd would play Garrison and whoever else over him.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
He is everything you'd want in a 5/6 dman at $700k.

Skates very well and seems to have a high defensive acumen.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Overall solid for price! But would love to see him use his size more, haven't really seen him throw a hit.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Chia is so good at the smaller subtle signings that you just wish he was the assistant GM on this team and have high input and respect of the GM that actually is able to make the big trades properly.

Or he could just say, hey Gretzky can you handle the big boy deals from now on? i am in way over my head.

For all our complaining though, its good to have that at least. The previous regime got niether the big or small deals right.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Chia is so good at the smaller subtle signings that you just wish he was the assistant GM on this team and have high input and respect of the GM that actually is able to make the big trades properly.

Or he could just say, hey Gretzky can you handle the big boy deals from now on? i am in way over my head.

For all our complaining though, its good to have that at least. The previous regime got niether the big or small deals right.

The positive news with this is that if he doesn't go anywhere, we likely don't need to make many big moves over the next couple years. I'd like to see him pull off at least one mid-level move though once they get a bit of cap space (i.e. a $3-4M top 6 forward/top 4 d-man, depending on the needs after a year of assessing our developing players/Sekera's health).

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Geez, Gravel doesn't get talked about much but he's been a solid addition to the bottom pairing.

I was at 3 games in October out Edmonton. I went down onto the glass to see the Oilers warm up. He took the warm up but didn’t play. I couldn’t get over the size of him . He is a monster

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There are lots of small deals he gets wrong. Garrison, Manning, Wideman, Gryba, Korpikoski, Gustavsson, Montoya, Pochiro (dude they traded Yakupov for), Benning, is really not great either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hitchcock trying to help Chiarelli save face with that ridiculous Manning trade.

After hearing Hitchs comments about how its not his job to decide on who is on the roster...its his job to coach who is on the roster...its starting to look to me like Chia is handcuffing Hitch here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We really have a glut at LD

Klefbom
Nurse
Russell
Manning
Gravel
Jones

All signed for next year.

That's not even counting Sekera. It's not that I dislike Gravel as a 6/7 D ... but what exactly is the plan for the rest of these guys?

Last edited:

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
Why isn't he playing?
He's not making enough glaring mistakes.

He's gotta pump up those numbers. Until he can come close to manning/benning numbers for mistakes against leading to grade A chances, he's going to see very little ice time.

We don't need mistake free hockey from our #5/6 d men, we need them to actively lose us games.

signed,

your boy chia

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After hearing Hitchs comments about how its not his job to decide on who is on the roster...its his job to coach who is on the roster...its starting to look to me like Chia is handcuffing Hitch here.

I think it’s a reality of coaching. You don’t choose your players, you just have to get the best out of them. That said Chia has handcuffed him with this roster!

Reactions: guymez

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I like Gravel for our 6 7 D. Hopefully Manning will turn out better but so far the edge goes to Gravel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad