Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Kale Kessy (ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
On the bright side that Kale Kessy trade isn't looking to bad. Kessy's lighting it up with Kamloops in the playoffs, he has played 10 playoff games this year and has 11 goals and 2 assists! A playoff point per game player, and a goal per game player for that matter!

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/680

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
is there a chance Kamloops gets swept in next round just in time for Kessy to get his 4-game cup of coffee on the Oilers?

He'd be an upgrade on Smyth but that would be the dumbest possible decision the Oilers could make with him. He needs some time in the AHL before coming here.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm going to sound like a huge Debbie Downer, but I'm still not seeing it for this guy at the NHL level. Say he's a playoff player all you want, but I just don't see the high-end hockey sense and hands/his awful penalty taking. If we are hyping up this performance, it's not too different from when Flames prospect Max Reinhart had a 4-goal game and had an insane amount of goals through the first 2 rounds of the WHL playoffs in 2011 - Max has had a pretty tough year in his first year of pro.

Maybe it's a bad time to say this and everyone's going to jump all over me, but in the CIS I believe he'd have a hard time cracking the lineup game-to-game in his first year. I'm also not against tough hard-nosed prospects, I enjoy Ewanyk as a prospect and think he has potential despite his low points but I just don't see it with Kessy. People have been talking about him since his draft year as a Lucic guy, but I've known about him for even longer than that going back to like 2008. Still don't see it even though I've been wanting to, a hot playoffs won't change my mind for now. He'll be getting scratched regularly in OKC next year and probably sent down to Stockton a bit I bet to keep his legs moving. Meh.

Conkanen*

Gotta wait till the kid makes it the "A" till I can get a read on him. Looking forward to that to see what he brings.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm going to sound like a huge Debbie Downer, but I'm still not seeing it for this guy at the NHL level. Say he's a playoff player all you want, but I just don't see the high-end hockey sense and hands/his awful penalty taking. If we are hyping up this performance, it's not too different from when Flames prospect Max Reinhart had a 4-goal game and had an insane amount of goals through the first 2 rounds of the WHL playoffs in 2011 - Max has had a pretty tough year in his first year of pro.

Maybe it's a bad time to say this and everyone's going to jump all over me, but in the CIS I believe he'd have a hard time cracking the lineup game-to-game in his first year. I'm also not against tough hard-nosed prospects, I enjoy Ewanyk as a prospect and think he has potential despite his low points but I just don't see it with Kessy. People have been talking about him since his draft year as a Lucic guy, but I've known about him for even longer than that going back to like 2008. Still don't see it even though I've been wanting to, a hot playoffs won't change my mind for now. He'll be getting scratched regularly in OKC next year and probably sent down to Stockton a bit I bet to keep his legs moving. Meh.

oh well.. if he busts he busts... He is our prospect now.. Hope that he carves out a career for himself..but if he cant.. no big deal... There are no guarantees that Toby Reider wouldve been a star in the NHL.. unlike Toby Kessy does not have to be a top 6 player to be effective ..

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
oh well.. if he busts he busts... He is our prospect now.. Hope that he carves out a career for himself..but if he cant.. no big deal... There are no guarantees that Toby Reider wouldve been a star in the NHL.. unlike Toby Kessy does not have to be a top 6 player to be effective ..

Yeah, I'm not saying I think Reider was a great prospect either. Didn't love him as a prospect anyways, pretty meh move in general for me overall.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm not saying I think Reider was a great prospect either. Didn't love him as a prospect anyways, pretty meh move in general for me overall.

There really is only a handful of fan bases in this league where this move would be anything more then a meh move.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I haven't seen him play TBH, but Lucic is stretching it, if he could be a Kyle Clifford type that would be great. If he was the next coming of Lucic why would Phoenix trade him? I fully expect him to be in the minors for at least a couple of years. If he can be a Clifford/Jordan Nolan type that's great for us IMO.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
I don't see lucid, in that he won't be a top 6 forward, but he certainly could be a good bottom 6 (probably 4th line) guy. Has shown he can be disciplined and still effective

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
We thought Pitlick and Hamilton where going to be the player with size and scoring and look how they are doing in the AHL. They are both almost consider a bust.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
We thought Pitlick and Hamilton where going to be the player with size and scoring and look how they are doing in the AHL. They are both almost consider a bust.

Extremely disappointing seasons for the both of them. I've pretty much completely written off Hamliton but still have some faint hope for Pitlick. He looked very good to start the season... skating very well, hitting people all over the ice, making smart plays but the offense just wasn't coming, then he got injured.

Very disappointing.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Ya, I don't remember who exactly it was, but people basically read big and can fight and just assumed that they were comparble skillwise. The bolded is what I don't agree with. Kessy and Rieder are a month apart in age, so it's not like either has an age advantage. The fact Kessy has more goals this year than Rieder shows he's not just a goon though. Not to mention he's much bigger, MUCH more physcial and fills a need. This WAS a good return for Rieder. And I liked Rieder

Skepticism is just questioning a decision, not disagreeing with it. I have no idea if the Kessy for Reider swap is a good one, i think it could easily go either way. We won't know if it was a good return for Reider for some time it just seems to me that if we were just going off ancedotal evidence that Reider would have to be considered the superior prospect. Based on the stats and the whole body of his work (i.e. not just this season) Reider one could argue has the chance to be a scorer at the next level, it would be much harder to make that argument for Kessy under the same considerations. In saying that development isn't linear and nobody ever knows just how well a players game will transition to the pro's, and if anyone could offer a good guess i'm thinking the Oilers scouts can do a better job than me (unfortunatly Phoenix's may be able to do a better job than them).

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Extremely disappointing seasons for the both of them. I've pretty much completely written off Hamliton but still have some faint hope for Pitlick. He looked very good to start the season... skating very well, hitting people all over the ice, making smart plays but the offense just wasn't coming, then he got injured.

Very disappointing.
i couldn't disagree more, Pitlick was almost entirely ineffective to begin the year in OKC. He certainly did throw the odd very nice hit and skates very well but i just never saw him accomplish a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad