Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Josh Currie

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good on him for getting as far as he’s gotten so far in his career. Doubt there is any nhl future for him aside from maybe a few games in case of extreme injuries. But all the same, we’ve got the contract room for him and at least he’s a good ahl player.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Great signing. Oilers need more of this. Great work ethic and won't get beat on effort. He'll have his chance with the big squad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good on him for getting as far as he’s gotten so far in his career. Doubt there is any nhl future for him aside from maybe a few games in case of extreme injuries. But all the same, we’ve got the contract room for him and at least he’s a good ahl player.

My thoughts also. Could be a good fit for 14th forward as well. Isn’t scared to work for his spot, right shot, plays C and W, will fight, PK’s - jack of all trades guy that could steal a job if guys like Caggiula and Kassian dog it in camp.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Feel like this is a heart and sole player that digs is in and gets it done. No high end skill or quick development but work ethic has gotten him where he is. Feel like Chia loves those guys and so do I. Can see him getting a shot on the 4th line and running with it. If not, perfect stabilizing vet in the AHL to help develop the guys around him. I like it.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Good to see Jari’s son is doing well for himself.

I’m kidding of course.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Capfriendly has the deets:

675k AAV per year for two years

650k year one, 700k year two. Minors salary of 70k both years so it’s a two way deal both years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
His stats are interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone who’s had such steady progression from age 15 to 25. Like, every single year he’s taken a fairly significant step forward.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Capfriendly has the deets:

675k AAV per year for two years

650k year one, 700k year two. Minors salary of 70k both years so it’s a two way deal both years.
Unconfirmed still. CapFriendly is using the minimum contract allowable as a placeholder for now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
His stats are interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone who’s had such steady progression from age 15 to 25. Like, every single year he’s taken a fairly significant step forward.
and if these trends continue! ....

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Everyone I’ve talked to that’s watched him play for significant stretches praises his work ethic.

You can overcome a lot if youre willing to work harder than the guy next to you.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Could he be on the same path as Jonathan Marchessault?

Their career paths are very similar as well as their QMJHL and ECHL/AHL Stats...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he’s even a quarter of the player Marchessault is at the NHL level he will be a massive find.
I was looking...

Marchessault was a much better player in years 2 and 3 of the Q but Currie was better in the 4th.

Marchessault went right to the AHL and kicked butt. Currie floundered a bit in the ECHL for 2 years did good for the first 13 games of the third and has been in the AHL ever since.

At this exact point in Marchessault career he just came off a 18 point in 48 game season with Tampa and was Just about to break out.

I don't see similar career paths but you never know. Currie seems like a harder worker but the skill isn't there like it was with Marchessault.

That said I could see him eventually being a bottom 6 winger.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So that leaves you with...

Mardoy-Currie-Yamamoto
Benson-Malone-Hebig
Gambardella-Vesel-Russell
Vesey-Larkin-Callahan
Polei

Not a lot of high end talent, especially when it comes to vets. Not a fan of having 4 rookies as the top 6 wingers, but I don't see any better choices unless Callahan bounces back to his GR productivity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->