Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Joel Persson (D)

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
This is still a weird one to me if he is staying in Sweden.
  • I understand signing him to lock in his RFA status, sounds good.
  • However, this makes his contract next year non-ELC creating an opportunity for an overpay next year in a non-ELC contract.
  • However, this locks him into only negotiating with one team, keeping him affordable (ignoring Chiarelli's tendancy to overpay anyways)
  • But then why would the player lock himself into potentially only one team bidding for him for a simple $92K signing bonus?
  • But maybe the agent and Chia is super smart thinking that there could be an offersheet anyways if Edmonton doesn't pay allowing for free draft picks for Edmonton and the player just collected a nice signing bonus for nothing and can maximize his value next year (i.e no ELC limit).
  • But then the final twist is the Schedule A bonus'. They are unattainable if he's playing in Sweden, so why include them if there is no intent to come over.
:confused::eek::oops:o_O:huh:

All in all, I suspect we haven't heard the full story yet. I'm thinking he's coming for training camp but will have a SHL contract in his back pocket if he doesn't make the team in training camp.

If the Oilers, say, promised a one-way deal coming out of that ELC for 19-20 (and beyond), that would probably be enough to entice Persson to give up the bidding war.

Otherwise, he's putting up way too much risk. If he regresses back to a Swedish Div 1 player, all of a sudden there's no contract coming to him from anyone.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If the Oilers, say, promised a one-way deal coming out of that ELC for 19-20 (and beyond), that would probably be enough to entice Persson to give up the bidding war.

Otherwise, he's putting up way too much risk. If he regresses back to a Swedish Div 1 player, all of a sudden there's no contract coming to him from anyone.

Well you could also argue that if he does regress, at least he got the signing bonus. It's almost like the free frogourt discussion on Simpsons from way back.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Joel Persson missed the first pre-season game, apparently he got injured in practice. There is no information on how serious.

Anyhow, I thought I'd bump this thread for some info from Joel on general matters (source shl.se) and also specifically why he signed this contract with EDM (since it was discussed here):
Joel Persson played for his youth team in Sweden's 3rd league in 16/17 and then he moved to Vaxjo and the SHL. From having had a 85% employment working in a school to living and working full time as a hockey player has been the biggest difference for him.
- Of course there is a lot more training now, but the biggest difference is that there is no job to go to once you are not working with the team. To adapt my life to that of a professional hockey player, that was really strange in the beginning.
- Also, it is necessary to be much quicker in decision making, there is no time to think, you need to be able act on your instincts developed in training/playing.

Did any other NHL clubs show interest in you?
- There was a pretty big interest, yes. We were in discussion with a few clubs, but Edmonton gave me the best impression so I chose to sign with them.
- They listened carefully to what I had to say and what I felt was important, I felt that I needed to stay in Sweden for anther season before coming over. That was acceptable for them and signing this contract I get the feeling that they really believe in me. They secured my rights and I am happy with that.

What are your goals this season?
- In the beginning of last season I realised that I already felt very comfortable offensively but confused defensively. The more time that passed I felt more stable all over the ice. This is something I will be building on this season and I will become a more reliable player in all situations.

Last edited:

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Sucks about him getting injured. This is a really interesting prospect. Purely boom or bust but he was free so if he does anything at the AHL or NHL level it's a big win.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sucks about him getting injured. This is a really interesting prospect. Purely boom or bust but he was free so if he does anything at the AHL or NHL level it's a big win.
Dude has one of the most impressive jumps in ability between seasons I have ever seen.

Reactions: McNuge

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Personally I think a lot of that jump for Persson is because he's playing with Pettersson who's looking like he will be a phenomenal prospect and likely Eichel/Matthews level imo. Bastard Canucks got a good one there.

Hopefully Persson continues that trajectory and can eventually make an impact at the NHL level.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Personally I think a lot of that jump for Persson is because he's playing with Pettersson who's looking like he will be a phenomenal prospect and likely Eichel/Matthews level imo. Bastard Canucks got a good one there.

Hopefully Persson continues that trajectory and can eventually make an impact at the NHL level.

It’s not like every player lit it up. He still doubled the 2nd highest scoring dman on the team

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It’s not like every player lit it up. He still doubled the 2nd highest scoring dman on the team

I'm not saying it wasn't an impressive season he had... but Pettersson was in on 24 of the 34 goals that Persson scored or assisted on. That's 71% so I'm just saying the "Pettersson effect" is something to be aware of when looking at his stats from last season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
For anyone interested Joel Persson and Vaxjo starts off their season tonight with champions hockey league vs SC Bern. Tough game for Vaxjo and the official champions hockey league site has a free live stream (at least for where I am).

www.championshockeyleague.com

First goal for Vaxjo (Joel Persson), as already posted in another thread:

Kids got so much potential.

Edit: Vaxjo are blue, Persson in #94

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Nice to see Persson getting on the score sheet so quickly. I assume he's fully recovered from his injury?
He just missed the first pre-season game. I mentioned it at the time because I wanted to see how he did but obviously realised he didn't play.
He scored in his first (vaxjo's second) pre-season game as well :thumbu:

Edit: I see now he didn't score in the preseason... Odd, I am certain I saw a goal of his, but never mind.

Edit: to be honest he's had a couple of defensive hickups so far this game ... but for the rest he looks decent.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
It's strange that he has playing bonuses in his contract, given that it was assumed all along that he would stay in Sweden. I get that the Oilers basically signed for his rfa rights next year, but why include the playing bonuses? Maybe I'm missing something.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's strange that he has playing bonuses in his contract, given that it was assumed all along that he would stay in Sweden. I get that the Oilers basically signed for his rfa rights next year, but why include the playing bonuses? Maybe I'm missing something.
Maybe to sweeten the deal for him if they re-call him to come over. It's like a modified Performance Bonus?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
"Chiarelli is a bad GM" is typically the Occam's Razor to all of life's mysteries.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm thinking maybe it's just part of his standard ELC, as in the bonuses are already included in the contract (?).
Could be, I mean you can sign them without any bonuses, but I think they're fairly malleable in how they're structured. Again, I don't think the team is expecting him to play this year, however there's that bonus if he earns NHL time.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Scored the lone goal in Växjö's 1-0 victory over Frölunda this evening with a rocket of a shot.

Suddenly the Oilers have three guys on the right side who can absolutely rip it. Will be interesting, especially next year, to see who which guy(s) will be up for the challenge.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Scored the lone goal in Växjö's 1-0 victory over Frölunda this evening with a rocket of a shot.

Suddenly the Oilers have three guys on the right side who can absolutely rip it. Will be interesting, especially next year, to see who which guy(s) will be up for the challenge.

That is quite a shot...the puck almost looks as if it was still accelerating when it hit the back of the net.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Beauty

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Wow, what a cannon!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad