Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Joel Persson (D)

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Decent move. Minimal cost for this guy to prove he can continue his steep development curve upwards.

Interesting that he signed with us now rather than waiting to see if he could entice a team he’d rather play for next year. Either he likes the idea of being an Oiler, or really needed that 90k signing bonus
Now.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
SHL finals were over mid-april (if you go sll the way). If he does well next year he could be called over for AHL playoffs, or NHL playoffs (hopefully)

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Decent move. Minimal cost for this guy to prove he can continue his steep development curve upwards.

Interesting that he signed with us now rather than waiting to see if he could entice a team he’d rather play for next year. Either he likes the idea of being an Oiler, or really needed that 90k signing bonus
Now.
There's really no benefit for him to wait, he'd still be stuck signing a 1 year ELC next summer as well. This gives him the chance to get 90k and if he keeps playing well he'll likely get more money on his deal next summer.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I like it a bunch actually. Not another weak, knee-jerk, Auvitu type of thing, but a savvy move to get first dibs on someone who may be a hidden gem while letting him continue to develop.
A low-risk move for the future, not an erratic stop-gap. Nice to see.

Reactions: Cypress

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Rishaug with the scoop on this signing...maybe he has a better source than Bob?
100% Rishaug is more reliable than Stauffer.

Stauffer just plays games and tries to get people to come to their own conclusions on what he's saying rather than say it outright.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
100% Rishaug is more reliable than Stauffer.

Stauffer just plays games and tries to get people to come to their own conclusions on what he's saying rather than say it outright.

At least too me, Bob seemed kind of pissy in that "less is more this summer" tweet a few days ago, which was clearly directed at Rishaug and his Ristolainen tweet.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think it's possible the guy is trying to secure as much money as fast as he can, since he just started playing pro hockey. I wonder what the rules are in Sweden on how much you can sign a rookie player for, do they have the same entry level structure as the NHL? I think this is a very unique situation where you could get a guy to agree to a contract like this.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Stauffer has been on vacation, Ullrich hosted OilersNow all week.

Yeah, he's been on his annual Disneyland vacation with his family all week. No surprise if he's not feeling particularly motivated to scrape around for Oiler news to divulge right now, unlike Rishaug who's still on the clock.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, he's been on his annual Disneyland vacation with his family all week. No surprise if he's not feeling particularly motivated to scrape around for Oiler news to divulge right now, unlike Rishaug who's still on the clock.

That's awesome for him and his family. From what I hear Disneyland is super expensive (not that it was ever cheap).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think it's possible the guy is trying to secure as much money as fast as he can, since he just started playing pro hockey. I wonder what the rules are in Sweden on how much you can sign a rookie player for, do they have the same entry level structure as the NHL? I think this is a very unique situation where you could get a guy to agree to a contract like this.

He has been playing pro hockey for 5 years

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Nope, division one in Sweden is not a pro league for the majority of the players playing. Persson had a regular part-time jobs up until this past season.

In North America it would be considered on the level of The Federal League--which is a pro league

He was paid to play hockey therefor it is a pro league

Most minor league players have part time jobs

John Torterella played for the team in the 1980's

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
In North America it would be considered on the level of The Federal League--which is a pro league

He was paid to play hockey therefor it is a pro league

Most minor league players have part time jobs

John Torterella played for the team in the 1980's
If the definition of a professional is that you get paid any amount of money or subsidies (for rent, a car, etc), then sure, division one (and two) in Sweden should be considered professional leagues.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Rather see him in Bakerfield on small rinks and a possible call up! Whats the meaning of this? he aint 18 years old and we arent stacked at D !

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Rather see him in Bakerfield on small rinks and a possible call up! Whats the meaning of this? he aint 18 years old and we arent stacked at D !
This was his first season of playing hockey full time. Last year he played as an amateur and had a full time job.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
This was his first season of playing hockey full time. Last year he played as an amateur and had a full time job.

I understand that hes a bit raw at elithockey! Hes 24-25 years old and put up those numbers in Shl, then its nothing to nursing, bring him over to camp and see how the longshot looks in real life!

It has become a bit of a trend in Nhl to try out cheap late bloomers, undrafts or hidden gems, Leafs had Rosen and Borkman this season and you have that undrafted in Hv71 who was best Shl defender. No surprise its defenders who could develop pretty late.

Cheap gems so they can pay their Stars!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->