Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Joel Persson (D)

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
After the contract we still retain his rights correct?

Correct, he would qualify as an RFA so we would have his RFA rights as long as we qualify him. A really good low risk move, if he has another good year I’d bet a lot of teams would have been in on him, so this way they protect against that, and if he doesn’t show well this year they just don’t qualify him, no harm done. For as bad as Chia is for big moves, he sure does know his way around a small one

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Guy likely didn't want to come over and play in the AHL so might work out as a nice move. One of those time will tell deals.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Chiarelli: "We have the right of recall but want to see him develop his game thoroughly in what will be his second year in the Swedish Elite League."

So it's possible they could bring him up to the Oilers prior to his contract expiring, I guess. Though it doesn't sound like that'll be in the plans.

At least this shows that Chiarelli is still thinking about moves that don't directly involve the 2018/19 season, and isn't just flailing around for short term fixes to save his job with everything he does.

Reactions: Cypress

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Chiarelli: "We have the right of recall but want to see him develop his game thoroughly in what will be his second year in the Swedish Elite League."

So it's possible they could bring him up to the Oilers prior to his contract expiring, I guess. Though it doesn't sound like that'll be in the plans.

At least this shows that Chiarelli is still thinking about moves that don't directly involve the 2018/19 season, and isn't just flailing around for short term fixes to save his job with everything he does.
A lot of it for me is about adding guys that are a lot closer to being NHL ready than guys we'd draft this year. Also helps add prospects just in case he does move some picks at this draft or during the 18-19 season

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
A little odd signing (keeping him in Sweden), but I like D depth all over the place without risk of waivers (i.e Davidson, Oesterle, etc.).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He's always been doing this, just the "group think" around here has decided other things for him because of the "group think's" consensus.

Reactions: nabob

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Would have been nice to see if this guy can adapt to the NA game sooner rather than later. Oh well.

I guess last season was the first time he actually was committed to hockey full time? Sorry if someone mentioned already here, but I read he had other jobs before last season while he played hockey. Maybe does make sense to let him just stay on his current track before a big change.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaGu

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Correct, he would qualify as an RFA so we would have his RFA rights as long as we qualify him. A really good low risk move, if he has another good year I’d bet a lot of teams would have been in on him, so this way they protect against that, and if he doesn’t show well this year they just don’t qualify him, no harm done. For as bad as Chia is for big moves, he sure does know his way around a small one

he and his amateur scouts are doing a fine job of finding unsigned free agents and drafting well and it's starting to show now in our system. if only Chia could do an NHL trade without getting fleeced ! o_O

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Would have been nice to see if this guy can adapt to the NA game sooner rather than later. Oh well.

I guess last season was the first time he actually was committed to hockey full time? Sorry if someone mentioned already here, but I read he had other jobs before last season while he played hockey. Maybe does make sense to let him just stay on his current track before a big change.
It does. The only potential issue is if he blows it out of the water again, Chia has the ability to overpay next year lol :P

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Chia can recall him to NHL whenever he wants if he’s killing it in the SHL, so I’m not mad about this.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Leaving him in Sweden is probably the best option, he's basically been an amateur player for his entire career, just becoming a pro this season. In general we've been too quick to bring guys over from Europe to the AHL, Detroit let there guys marinate back home and while their development took a while they've gotten far more dividends out of being patient than we have. SHL is also a superior league to the AHL and it's a better environment for nurturing skill development, AHL is more for nurturing the gritty aspects and learning to play through contact.

Reactions: LaGu

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chia can recall him to NHL whenever he wants if he’s killing it in the SHL, so I’m not mad about this.

The bottom line is that we added a talented RHD to the org, hard to complain about that move. We need cheap depth and Persson could fit that bill in time.

Reactions: nabob

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
also by holding his rights, if he is having another decent season but the concensus is he wont translate to the nhl you can toss his rights on a deal for an upgrade instead of bear or jones.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I wouldn't expect him to be recalled mid season, but he could be a late season addition once his SHL season is over. I'd imagine he'll end up either with the big club or Bakersfield to end the season.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Nothing to lose, and basically a free prospect of sorts. Looks like he's staying in Sweden to play another season in the SHL, and we get to see if he can repeat or do even better than the past season. If he does, we have his rights and I'm sure we'll bring him over to see what he can do here on NA ice (if that's even really a factor). If he flops, we just release him. Not much downside to this, but I see some pretty good possible upside. Like I said, nothing really to lose in this so I like it.

We're stacking up some pretty good D prospects/players in the system. No real 'blue chippers,' but many are quite solid, and if just a couple can make the team over the next couple years that will be a big boost.

Reactions: Cypress

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Am I the only one who watched that highlight video that Mozesmadness posted and saw some real legit skill? Skating didn't look like much of a weakness to me either.
It got me a bit excited about him coming over next season so I'm a bit disappointed that he's staying in Sweden another season but it's probably best to prove that he's not a fluke before giving him a roster spot. Does this mean that he won't be here for training camp to fight for a spot?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad