Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Joel Persson (D)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wouldn't

I have now seen him play 4 times and he reminds me of MAB--while he gets points, he looks lost in his own zone and his coach is afraid to have in his zone unless his team is on the PP

The flip side of that is MAB was a decent dman when used correctly (all offense). If he can be an upgrade on a guy like Wideman, he might still be useful

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is the prospect I am the most intrigued by. He is at the age (24) where he should be an almost complete player. He has scored very consistently in one of the best leagues in the world. The Oilers have a need for this "type" of player (RHS PP QB). Training camp will be very interesting next year, and it wouldn't shock me at all if we end up with a Sekera/Persson pairing for the 3rd pairing next year to break camp.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The oilers could potentially get themselves out of cap trouble if they can bring in solid players on ELCs Persson and Bouchard mixed with Nurse/Klef/Larsson/Russel/Sekera would be huge.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This is the prospect I am the most intrigued by. He is at the age (24) where he should be an almost complete player. He has scored very consistently in one of the best leagues in the world. The Oilers have a need for this "type" of player (RHS PP QB). Training camp will be very interesting next year, and it wouldn't shock me at all if we end up with a Sekera/Persson pairing for the 3rd pairing next year to break camp.
Could just be Wideman2.0
People who actually watch him play don't seem to be too impressed with his defensive play

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Could just be Wideman2.0
People who actually watch him play don't seem to be too impressed with his defensive play

Yeah, my understanding is that he isn't exactly a stalwart defensively (to say the least). Wideman from before his injury would have been a valuable player to us though potentially. If he came over and made the team, it would be in a protected role, with lots of PP time you would think.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'll say this for Persson, not having watched him beyond the clips, if he can move the puck effectively, his defensive game will be challenged a lot less with this team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Could just be Wideman2.0

Meh. Unless you're getting a true #1D, you have to be OK with some subpar defensive play for someone with that offensive skillset.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Could just be Wideman2.0
I've seen him a bit and he is a lot better than last year. Very smart and disciplined defensively.

From what I've gathered most posters critisizing his D either saw him last year or beginning this season when Vaxjo suffered a collective hang-over after losing Pettersson and being one of the most dominant teams in recent times in the SHL. Someone can correct me on that though if they've seen him more and after the first 5-10 games of the season.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad