Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign F Patrick Russell

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think I'm the only person in the last trade rumor thread that mentioned he might of been our target instead of Oksanen, let's hope he pans out.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Interesting, two forward college pickups. I like what I hear about him, won't be tracking him too closely until he impresses at the AHL or NHL level though.

Anyone have thoughts on what our contract situation is like? I never really know, but we are getting closer to the cap, are we not?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Such a sad commentary about our previous management and scouting staff that the new staff has to pluck free agent college signings to replenish our prospect pool even though we've basically drafted 1-7 and 30-37 in the draft and in some years picked two or three 1st or 2nd rounders.

WOW. Caggiula becomes our top forward prospect. YOu can't even make this stuff up,

Well, it's what happens when you have a perennially ****** major league team that has tons of injury woes, guys are up with the big club earlier than expected and thrown to the fire. But yes, I do agree that it's still pretty bad that they have such a hard time finding later picks who show something, anything to create better depth.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Interesting, two forward college pickups. I like what I hear about him, won't be tracking him too closely until he impresses at the AHL or NHL level though.

Anyone have thoughts on what our contract situation is like? I never really know, but we are getting closer to the cap, are we not?

Cap, no, but contract-wise, this means we are dropping 2 contracts during free agency. Probably if I had to guess Pitlick and Kessy.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Such a sad commentary about our previous management and scouting staff that the new staff has to pluck free agent college signings to replenish our prospect pool even though we've basically drafted 1-7 and 30-37 in the draft and in some years picked two or three 1st or 2nd rounders.

WOW. Caggiula becomes our top forward prospect. YOu can't even make this stuff up,

Well, if you're going off of HFBoards standards of games played, it's still Mcdavid.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Can't believe you guy are getting excited over something that doesn't even fix the defense and won't make the team better next year.

Now that we got that out of the way, definitely seems like Chiarelli plans on moving out some contracts. Will be interesting to see if they grab any more of these guys. Chiarelli really seems like an NCAA guy.

So Chiarelli should only fix the D and just leave the 30th ranked forward prospect pool alone?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Not to defend our poor scouting in years 2013 and earlier, but it should be noted that for the '14 and '15 draft years this team hasn't drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, which IMO is one reason why the prospect cupboard looks a bit bare now.

It's not THE reason obviously, but it's certainly not helped.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know this won't be a popular opinion since he's got quite a few fans around here, but I wonder what this signing means for Winquist's future in the org. We've got a lot of bodies for Bakersfield now and there hasn't been any word about him re-signing yet.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not to defend our poor scouting in years 2013 and earlier, but it should be noted that for the '14 and '15 draft years this team hasn't drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, which IMO is one reason why the prospect cupboard looks a bit bare now.

It's not THE reason obviously, but it's certainly not helped.

Also every one of our top end prospects step into the NHL pretty much immediately.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010

There are also teams that draft well and still sign these guys.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Current contract situation:

LW(10+2): Hall, Pouliot, Maroon, Hendricks, Korpikoski, Caggiula, Khaira, Gazdic, Slep, Moroz, Christoffer, Kessy

C(7+0): McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Letestu, Lander, Yakimov, Chase

RW(5+3): Eberle, Yakupov, Kassian, Pakarinen, Pitlick, Sallinen, Platzer, Russell

D(10+3-1): Klefbom, Davidson, Sekera, Nurse, Fayne, Oesterle, Reinhart, Ference, Clendening, Laleggia, Simpson, Musil, Betker, Jones

G(4+1): Talbot, Brossoit, Laurikainen, Ellis, Lundstrom

36 contracts + 9 unsigned RFAs - 1 sliding ELC.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know. Mact and company did this every year too. There is issues with our prospect pool, but how much better is that prospect pool if just Nurse and LD actually played in the AHL like they were suppose to?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cagguila would be top 3 forward prospect in numerous organizations.his production is nothing to sneeze at.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

LW(10+2): Hall, Pouliot, Maroon, Hendricks, Korpikoski, Caggiula, Khaira, Gazdic, Slep, Moroz, Christoffer, Kessy

RW(5+3): Eberle, Yakupov, Kassian, Pakarinen, Pitlick, Sallinen, Platzer, Russell

D(10+3-1): Klefbom, Davidson, Sekera, Nurse, Fayne, Oesterle, Reinhart, Ference, Clendening, Laleggia, Simpson, Musil, Betker, Jones

the more college free agents we sign, the less likely most of the bolded above are re-signed. but i have a feeling that Kassian will be.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I know this won't be a popular opinion since he's got quite a few fans around here, but I wonder what this signing means for Winquist's future in the org. We've got a lot of bodies for Bakersfield now and there hasn't been any word about him re-signing yet.

Winquist is one of the guys I thought showed rather well and I think they should absolutely sign him.

They have to stop playing the old AHL vets who aren't prospects anymore and give our prospects playing time.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Winquist is one of the guys I thought showed rather well and I think they should absolutely sign him.

They have to stop playing the old AHL vets who aren't prospects anymore and give our prospects playing time.

It's a bit of a balancing act though, if you go too much the other way and playing nothing but AHL rookies and younger pros then you'll have a team that will get its show run every night by the better AHL teams that have those AHL lifers who are stars at that level. We had that same scenario a decade or so ago when the Oilers AHL affiliate didn't have enough good AHL vets, so their farm club never never made the playoffs and lost more than it won. Back then, fans were complaining that the Oilers weren't setting up a winning environment for their youngsters in the AHL because they refused to pay top dollar for the best AHL players.

Young guys need to play and get experience for sure, but if all they experience is getting their butt kicked then that seems like a negative learning environment to me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Can't believe you guy are getting excited over something that doesn't even fix the defense and won't make the team better next year.

Now that we got that out of the way, definitely seems like Chiarelli plans on moving out some contracts. Will be interesting to see if they grab any more of these guys. Chiarelli really seems like an NCAA guy.

Is the sarcasm really required?

Especially in another thread where no mention of any sort has been made?

Note that 10 people in the thread had no idea what you were talking about which is perhaps why its not necessary to take a disagreement to another thread. ymmv

This is obviously an AHL depth signing, anybody would agree.

next

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

IMO the only one that we should for sure walk away from is Lundstrom.

I'd be in favor of walking away from Clendening, Musil, and Gazdic (beyond what he provides his cap hit on the qualifying offer is $840K a bit pricey for a 13th forward)

Pakarinen, Oesterle, and Kassian (unless his behavior behind the scenes has been questionable) should be qualified for sure IMO.

I'd like to see qualifiers on Pitlick (valuable depth IMO and I still hold out hope he can be a 4th liner for us one day)

Kessy I'm indifferent on I see some progress and he provides some good agitation and toughness, but resident tough guys seem to be going extinct, nice to have one or possibly two in the org, but we already have Moroz on the books and Chase + Christoffer are pretty good agitators

If Musil and Gazdic really want to come back, I might be ok offering Musil an AHL only contract and Gazdic I'd be fine paying him his qualifier and burying him in the minors for basically the entire year so long as he was 100% on board with that plan and then either walking away from Kessy or trade Moroz to open up a contract slot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Most in the main board wonder why a prospect would sign in Edmonton? I think most think it's the best place to get shot in NHL sooner because of lack of depth.

When I read an article on Caggiula they were talking about how he soured on the Oil until he came here and meet with the team and saw the new arena.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Helps the condors out in a big way. A Pitlick replacement I would guess. To bad Pitlick cant stay healthy.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta

Sign Kassian, Pakarainen and Oesterle. Who cares about the rest.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
When I read an article on Caggiula they were talking about how he soured on the Oil until he came here and meet with the team and saw the new arena.

Yeah, listening to the Caggiula interview it sounded like Chiarelli and McLellan left good impressions with him when they met and sold him on the direction of the team. The new arena impressed him as well, but IMO he sounded like that was a secondary concern.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, listening to the Caggiula interview it sounded like Chiarelli and McLellan left good impressions with him when they met and sold him on the direction of the team. The new arena impressed him as well, but IMO he sounded like that was a secondary concern.

Dillon Simpson definitely had an impact as well. I get the impression that Caggiula has a lot of respect for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->