Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign F Patrick Russell

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
"He's going to come up with pucks along the wall and he should. He's a physically strong dude," Motzko said. "His off-ice training has been impeccable. He's in unbelievable shape.

"One of the things we've talked to him about is slimming down a tad, but he has 4 percent body fat. So that means losing muscle, which is hard to do. The biggest thing for him is to gain speed."

It is a point of emphasis that Russell takes seriously and is working on.

"I'm trying to get quicker the first couple strides on the ice," said Russell, who had a 3.7 grade-point average fall semester. "I'm doing more explosive stuff with starts and stops on the ice and sprints and running.

"I don't need to get bigger. I want to get more explosive and that's what I'm going to be working on in the offseason."

http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports...tured-russell-plays-power-game-scsu/22493965/

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Chia knows Eberle will be gone, if not this year, soon after that and we have absolutely no RW depth. Good on him noticing an organizational need and stocking the cupboards.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"He's going to come up with pucks along the wall and he should. He's a physically strong dude," Motzko said. "His off-ice training has been impeccable. He's in unbelievable shape.

"One of the things we've talked to him about is slimming down a tad, but he has 4 percent body fat. So that means losing muscle, which is hard to do. The biggest thing for him is to gain speed."

It is a point of emphasis that Russell takes seriously and is working on.

"I'm trying to get quicker the first couple strides on the ice," said Russell, who had a 3.7 grade-point average fall semester. "I'm doing more explosive stuff with starts and stops on the ice and sprints and running.

"I don't need to get bigger. I want to get more explosive and that's what I'm going to be working on in the offseason."

http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports...tured-russell-plays-power-game-scsu/22493965/

Introduce him to Draisaitl and his trainer from last season.

Nice addition. I've read in a couple places that he doesn't need the puck to be effective, is a strong cycle player, protects the puck well and has a good, hard shot. Sounds like a Chia guy.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Chia knows Eberle will be gone, if not this year, soon after that and we have absolutely no RW depth. Good on him noticing an organizational need and stocking the cupboards.

I think it goes far beyond Eberle. He might be looking to move Eberle, Yak and Poo to fix the D, knowing he can't get that same group back in free agency. He also knows that aside from slim hopes in Khaira and Slepyslev, he doesn't have anything coming in the pipeline.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I like that Chia knows we are weak on the wings and have added some free assets to provide depth. Sallinen, Caggiula and now Russell. They may all turn out to be nothings but at the very least will provide good competition in Bakersfield.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I like that Chia knows we are weak on the wings and have added some free assets to provide depth. Sallinen, Caggiula and now Russell. They may all turn out to be nothings but at the very least will provide good competition in Bakersfield.

It will even make main camp more interesting for guys like Lander if they're still around. These guys are long shots to make the NHL next year, but be damn sure they're going to fight for it at camp!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am curious who was pushing these signings. Wasn't MacT and Howson guys that did a lot of college scouting in the past?

Either way, we see this every year. Just adding some depth hoping for a hidden gem that at the very least can hopefully help out our farm team.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I am curious who was pushing these signings. Wasn't MacT and Howson guys that did a lot of college scouting in the past?

Either way, we see this every year. Just adding some depth hoping for a hidden gem that at the very least can hopefully help out our farm team.

Didn't Chia dig through college for prospects in Boston too?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Russell is a big bodied power forward that excels in the offensive zone. He's not a fantastic skater, but his ability to move his feet and find open space in tough areas in front of the net make him a dangerous offensive threat. He has improved in his second season to become a more well-rounded player, by becoming better defensively and playing on the penalty kill for St. Cloud State.
from SB Nation

Sounds like he is literally too big for his britches. Good signing. On to Jordan Gross!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad